This kills me to say...

Stricken

• Members

As much as I'd love to keep saving up for my first Les Paul, or maybe my first Martin acoustic..

I can't allow myself to spend any more for musical gear...

Blasphemy, one may think...What could be more important than toanz?

I'm 17 in a few months, and I need to save money for a decent vehicle. :cry:

When's the most recent time that a necessity had to come before another guitar.. or amp.. or pedal.. and so on, for you?

• Members

I still have my first guitar. I do not still have my first car.

Take it from me, kid - get yourself a $400 Toyota Tercel from a government auction and then get right back to spending on guitars :thu: Wait until your mid-20s crisis to get a sports car :cool:

• Members

When's the most recent time that a necessity had to come before another guitar.. or amp.. or pedal.. and so on, for you?

Um, always.

Let's see right now I have to come up with money for the IRS, mortgage, utilities, child support, food, etc.

Oh yeah, I need to save for an eye operation too.

And currently unemployed. So yeah, no guitars.

• Members

Well, last year we spent a lot of money getting the house in order and ready for the arrival of our baby daughter (our first and only), so guitar gear purchases were put on hold throughout most of the year.

It was ok because in December I did get a decent bonus from my job, so I did go a little crazy and picked up a couple of Ibanez guitars (MIJ RG 470 at a pawnshop for 140 and an RG 320 from craigslist for 35 bucks), and a {censored}load of pedals for cheap at pawnshops. Now I'm pretty much set as far as gear goes.

• Members

Kind of interesting...I just graduated from college, and got a very good job that pays well for a 23-year old. So time for tons of gear, right? I have money to spend on discretionary things, but, sometimes preferences shift. Another guitar vs taking a week off to take a trip out to Colorado to ski the pow? I'm lucky enough especially in this economy to not have to worry about necessities (which for me are basic...no mortgage (though I do have rent), no kids, no car, no outstanding student loans etc).

Basically, as much as I'd love to hoard guitars, I kind of realized I'd like to spend my money on getting out there, traveling, doing things as well.

• Members

As much as I'd love to keep saving up for my first Les Paul, or maybe my first Martin acoustic..

I can't allow myself to spend any more for musical gear...

Blasphemy, one may think...What could be more important than toanz?

I'm 17 in a few months, and I need to save money for a decent vehicle.
:cry:

You right, your priorities are in the right place - get a dependable vehicle (I hope he was kidding). The guitars you have are plenty good enough. Elmore James recorded all that great music on a Kay and Hound Dog Taylor used a Teisco monstrosity. Eddie did all his whittling on a Teisco as well until he was old enough to piece together his dream guitar which cost about $200 in parts (if memory serves). Once you hit the big time you still won't have to worry, they'll be lining up to give you big ticket guitars.

• Members

I'm 57 (Feb 21, 2010).

I paid off our mortgage 5 years ago.

Now, I'm into a 20 year loan on a motor home (15 more years).

Insurance payments; utiliies; home improvements; car loan; line of credit payments and my business is down by 50 to 60%.

My wife is also self employed and has very little new biz coming in.

We're getting stiffed on $8k owed to us from a scumbag customer.

Something gets sold if I want any new gear.

The economy sucks.

I sold my Godin Radiator yesterday.

I have an SG Jr; SG Std and 2 Am Std Strats on craigslist.

I may put 2 '90's Danelectro U 2's on CL tomorrow.

Welcome to the world of today.

• Members

I look at it this way. No car, no p*ssy. Get a car, go to college and wait for your LP. You'll appreciate it more. And by then you may want a different guitar altogether. But I can almost guarantee you'll always want p*ssy!

I like your outlook on life :thu:

• Members

Your 17...sound like you'll be going off to college soon anyway....and you can't take a car....and it's not a good idea to take the guitar.

Why not take the guitar? There's a ton of easier and better stuff to steal in a typical student's room, like the laptops. Bring something like a pocket pod and practice through headphones so you don't piss off the neighbors, but that's not hard. If you need to actually move the molecules in the air, colleges have music practice rooms that have some degree of soundproofing.

Hell, we had a guy in my dorm that brought a set of bagpipes. Now *that's* an instrument you just can't freaking hide from. He ended up practicing in the woods behind the stadium most of the time, and it was still loudloudloud.

Better than the AR-15 my grad school roomie brought :facepalm:

• Members

Why not take the guitar? There's a ton of easier and better stuff to steal in a typical student's room, like the laptops. Bring something like a pocket pod and practice through headphones so you don't piss off the neighbors, but that's not hard. If you need to actually move the molecules in the air, colleges have music practice rooms that have some degree of soundproofing.

Hell, we had a guy in my dorm that brought a set of bagpipes. Now *that's* an instrument you just can't freaking hide from. He ended up practicing in the woods behind the stadium most of the time, and it was still loudloudloud.

Better than the AR-15 my grad school roomie brought
:facepalm:

Truth be told, this doesn't kill me at all.

I'd much rather have a recent car to drive to school and home.

My options are used car, or the 8 mpg 1985 F-150 (Dad's truck)

• Members

To be 17 again....

I have two kids and when I became a dad in 1998 I had to sell everything I had except an old beater acoustic and a couple of cheap ukuleles. And brother, I had a lot of gear.

Anyway, so much comes before things like guitars when you have a family. I don't regret having my kids at all--no way! I just have very minimal gear that is mostly inexpensive but decent stuff.

The good news for you, at least I think so, is that decent, inexpensive gear is easy to acquire these days. The past 10 years especially there has been an explosion of good MIK and MIC and Indonesian-made stuff that is well made.

You don't have to own a Gibson or Martin or Fender to be a musician--even a serious, gigging musician. There are lots of cheaper options.

Also, while the guitar has been responsible for getting me laid from time to time, it's a lot easier to get away and get alone with a lady if you have a car.

• Members

What you're describing is called Adult Life. Try being a husband, father, professional, and sole breadwinner for your family, you'll exist perpetually in this state.

• Members

Every {censored}ing day.

It's always something, trust me.

Get yourself a car, enjoy your youth. There will be plenty of time for more guitars and gear.

• Members

I still have my first guitar. I do not still have my first car.

Take it from me, kid - get yourself a $400 Toyota Tercel from a government auction and then get right back to spending on guitars
:thu:
Wait until your mid-20s crisis to get a sports car
:cool:

I play guitar for a living. A Toyota Tercel IS a sports car. A fancy one!!

It's not like it's a Datsun B210 :cool: