a potential buyer on ebay asked me for my guitars serial # is it cool to give it?

citizens_X

• Members

The only way I'd give him the full # is if I either had the original sales reciept (with your name on it) or kept record of the email showing that you gave someone the #. Then your butt is covered well enough to keep the cops from locking you up. Both would be better.

• Members

I wouldnt give it out. Why would he need it? Another note- I sold about 200 guitars on ebay over a span of 2 years. I used to get this question all the time. Never once did the person asking this buy a guitar. There is a certain segment of "time-wasters" on ebay who agonize over every move they make and then cant even pull the trigger on a purchase.

• Members

The scam is to report the serial number as stolen. The usual response is to give the first few letters and numbers, which are enough to tell year and model information, but not the full serial number.

yeah, but you can always make up a serial #, the insurance companies rarely do anything about it, they are already out the money, they dont want to wast more on investigators

• Members

If you purchased it from a legit store (like there are many nonlegit stores) and have the receipt (which I ALWAYS keep, duh) it usually (but no always) has the serial number on the receipt. Any inference to theft is then mitigated by evidence (the receipt). The receipt itself, if it doesn't have the serial number, is probably enough though. Your response should be leveled on that information being available so that none of the so-called 'Hey, that was stolen from me' can be perpetrated.

As others mentioned, give them a partial and see if that is satisfactory (for Fender, the first three or four alphanumerics are usually enough to completely identify the make and year/location of manufacturing). If that is not enough then I'd question their motives.