Here's My First Response To My CL Ad

Bbreaker

• Members

Hello,

I am the owner of a guitar store in Lansing, MI and we are currently looking to expand our inventory. I would like to make you an offer for your guitar and will be able to pay you for it with a check or Paypal. If you are interested please fill out a form on our website and someone from our store will be in touch with you soon. CLICK HERE and fill in the form.

Thank you,

Steven

This is either a scam or one of those things like cash for gold.:freak:

• Members

Any shop that is out to make a profit has to be able to make money on the item that they are buying. (Watch "Pawn Stars" to see how it's done). Thus, the seemingly lowball offers.

It seems that the going rate for musical instruments at places like this is about 1/2 of their blue book values.

• Members

Hello,

I am the owner of a guitar store in Lansing, MI and we are currently looking to expand our inventory. I would like to make you an offer for your guitar and will be able to pay you for it with a check or Paypal. If you are interested please fill out a form on our website and someone from our store will be in touch with you soon. CLICK HERE and fill in the form.

Thank you,

Steven

This is either a scam or one of those things like cash for gold.
:freak:

I got it a few days ago. *delete*

• Members

I had posted it, at one point. As others have said, it works like Cash For Gold.

You mail them a guitar, at your expense, they send you a low-end appraisal, and if you decide not to take it, you have to respond quickly AND pay for return shipping. Best case scenario, you either accept a very low offer for the instrument or have fronted and wasted two shipping costs, worst case scenario you're extremely unhappy with the value and didn't respond in time and they kept it and paid you for it, or your guitar "mysteriously" never makes it's way home when you deny their offer.

• Members

http://www.vintagecityguitars.com/contact

it's a cash for gold type deal... you fill out the form, they send you a check list and shipping label, you get a check. you then have 30 days to return saud check if you are unsatisfied and get your axe back... i didn't bother taking the gamble on my TTM...

Yep, I got the same response and they sent me the package, but didn't bother because I knew they weren't going to give me what I wanted for it.

• Members

Not long ago when I was selling an amp on CL, I got the reply from a place called Vintage City, in Lansing. As you know, they are trying to something for nothing. There were a couple of threads that circulated here a few months back. Without a search feature here, they would be hard to find.

• Members

It's not a scam.

The deal is you have to send your guitar to them and then when they have it in hand they give you a lowball offer in the hopes that you'll take it.

I don't put my email in CL ads anymore - just my cell number.

It has cut down on 99% of the foolishness I used to have to deal with.

If someone is really interested they want to talk to you as soon as possible and not keep sending email.

• Members

Here's the one I get for all my postings:

Hi

Thanks for the response.I am willing to pay your asking price.I will pay by money order as its the only way i can pay you at the moment.I will make arrangement for the pick-up after payment have been received by you. I dont mind adding an extra twenty dollars so you can keep it in my favor.Reply with your full name,cell phone number,and address where payment should be sent.Please take the posting off craigslist today and consider it sold to me. Expecting to hear from you soon.

Regards

Oh, yeah... Sure! :facepalm:

All I seem to get these days are lowballers, people wanting to trade really cheap guitars for what I am selling, or scammers. Craigslist aint what it used to be.