What ever happened to this guy?????

guitarman3001

• Members

He went from killer tones to the most {censored}ty watered down, overprocessed guitar tone ever.

thanks. That's kind of what I was getting at. He went from being one of the most amazing and kick ass hard rock lead players to being in an overprocessed pop-rock band (albeit a very successful overprocessed pop-rock band) and apparently lost his desire to be a real lead player.

• Members

I had free tickets to Def Leppard back in 2006 and was kind of excited to see him play (I had seen him with them before back in the early 90s I think when he first joined them and also saw him with Dio a couple of times and even once with Whitesnake), but Phil Collin handled most of the lead work and Vivian was mainly a rhythm guy. Was a little disappointing. But hey, he made a fortune and is getting paid to play rock, can't beat that I suppose.

• Members

I had free tickets to Def Leppard back in 2006 and was kind of excited to see him play (I had seen him with them before back in the early 90s I think when he first joined them and also saw him with Dio a couple of times and even once with Whitesnake), but
Phil Collin handled most of the lead work and Vivian was mainly a rhythm guy.
Was a little disappointing. But hey, he made a fortune and is getting paid to play rock, can't beat that I suppose.

that's what I mean. I guess he's happy but he was one of the most well-known and kick ass lead players of his day. I've read some interviews and articles which basically say that he thinks he's not that great of a player and that collen is a much better lead player than him and he has no real desire to be out front as a lead player, etc..etc.... Just wondering if anyone had some more insight into that other than what I had read.

• Members

I think that when he was with Dio, you were hard pressed to find a better rock/metal player than Campbell. George Lynch said that when Dorken opened for Dio, 'Vivian Campbell kicked my ass every night'(In all fairness to Lynch, he wasn't quite as good a player in 83-84 that he was in 87-88). Dave Miniketti (of Y&T fame, and a monster player in his own right) called Campbell 'One of the baddest mother{censored}ers playing today. The more he plays, the better he gets'.

Kind of a shame really......he was one of the reasons I started to play, and I was always very disappointed that after 'The Last In Line' his guitar hero status was non-existent.

• Members

...However, there was a little known band called Dokken opening the show and their guitar player ripped!

That would have been great. Lynch was my guitar hero from the 80's.

So much so that I bought this, though I would have rather had the Kamikaze, but I couldn't pass up the deal I found on it.

Lynch_Tiger-1.jpg

• Members

It was a weird show. I thought Dokken kicked ass, but a lot of the metal kids there for Dio didn't like them and were throwing things at them. Then Lynch passed out before the last song. There was a long break and then they came out with Don Dokken holding Lynch's Bengal guitar. They played Breaking the Chains with Don Dokken on guitar. It was awful.

A couple of years ago, I asked Jeff Pilson (really nice guy) if he remembered that awful moment and he said yes. He said, "We weren't exactly taking the best care of ourselves at that time."

Funny story. Cool that you got to talk to Pilson about it.

• Members

hrmm....so guys like Slash and angus are just a sharks in a kiddie pool?

I never thought of those guys as 'guitar slingers'....Lynch, Gilbert, et al... all the Mike Varney Shrapnel Records thing is what I meant and where Campbell seemed to be classified before he broke free.

• Members

Didn't he have a band called riverdogs or something?

I have that Riverdogs CD. Just a great rock album. He was only supposed to produce the project but ended up playing the guitar on it and then joined the band. I still love to listen to that CD. Some of Viv's tastiest playing, IMHO.

[YOUTUBE]YnHnfcjgo48[/YOUTUBE]

Archived