Tone Terms: Bright, Warm, Dark ...

Meowy

• Members

It is hard to describe the qualities of tone with words, but we all try. Porvide examples of various tonal terms, not necessarily just those in the title.

Also, I've always been confused - are Warm and Dark similar, just dark is more of "it"?

The two that I think are easisest to describe are jangle and chime - a lot of Beatles (especailly George), Tom Petty,

Warm - Sunshine of your Love, While my Guitar Gently Weeps, most Cream and LZ - sweet tube satuaration

Dark - VH Unchained, Black Sabbath - thick crunchy

Bright - Any hair metal - sparkle + gain

And then it would seem that Crunch such as AC/DC or some of the punkier Kinks tone (ex, All Day and All the Night, Destroyer) would be warmed (or darkened? :confused:) jangle / chime

Have I got this right?

• Members

Not to be a putz, but trying to find words to match tone is next to impossible. Because musical tone is so subjective and each persons definition means something slightly different, it will never be correctly defined.

"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - FZ

• Members

Not to be a putz, but trying to find words to match tone is next to impossible. Because musical tone is so subjective and each persons definition means something slightly different, it will never be correctly defined.

"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - FZ

I couldn't agree with you more, but how else can it be discussed or described where / when it can't be sampled?

• Members

You just do the best you can.

Round. That's a term I like. And it definitely fits when you hear it.

I had an epiphone LP special II as my first guitar. When I got my Orville by Gibson LP the first thing my girlfriend said (she's a trained singer with an amazing ear) was "it sounds very round" I'd never heard that term before but when I played each guitar I could hear what she was talking about easily. All of the tones blend together perfectly on the orville....the highs don't "stick out" and the lows aren't over powering. The epi is the exact opposite, boxy sounding with prominent highs and lows that over power the mids.

I love the round tone and it's something I look for now.

• Members

Definitions definitely change from one person to the next. For instance, a lot of people get excited about the Tele bridge pickup because it's "bright" and "spanky". To me it sounds brittle and harsh. Think about the solo bits in Sympathy for the Devil. It's just ear-splitting in my opinion, but some people love it.

Allman Brothers are another great example. That LP on the neck position is a trademark sound. I would say it's "warm" but I wouldn't be surprised if someone else said it's "muddy".

It's all in the ear of the beholder I guess.

• Members

When I say 'dark' I think of a pickup/guitar combo that has so much natural treble missing from the output, that you can't realistically offset that darkness with the treble knob on the amp. A Tone Zone would be my example, but there are darker pickups for sure.

When I say 'bright' I think of a pickup that is brighter than average, but not harsh. In my parlance, a bright pickup can be tamed by rolling the tone or guitar volume knob back to 7 or so. A JB in a band setting for example.

'Balanced' is just that... balanced. Just how a pickup should sound to someone that has been using a variety of different HBs for 25 years. A PAF would be the HB example.

Harsh is when there is just too much treble and not enough bottom end. A JB played outside of a band setting through a Fender amp would be my definition of harsh.

Warm is if you take a PAF and add some bottom end without taking away any top end such as an Alnico Pro II.

But this still leaves us with sonic results without a single word to describe them. A lot of neck P90s played through a clean amp. They might easily have too much bottom end, but the pickup isn't dark at all. It just has too much bass and to tweak that out, you need to reduce the bass on the amp making it sounds less 'full'.

I think most hobbies where the subtleties make all the difference have a tendency towards using words to describe the not-easily-describable. In high end audio, there are a handful of words that make some people cringe, but I feel you need to use those words when they apply, for the sake of other folks understanding what the hell you are talking about.

:lol:

Ahh... back to playing my 'balanced' 57 Classics through my bright Fender Deluxe.

• Members

I agree with cratz, for example bright just means prominent treble, harsh means too much. What's hard is that one mans bright is another man's harsh. And then you've got other stuff - attack, sustain, harmonics, output etc.

Some are tough though - I have a hard time understanding "brown" or "woody" tone for instance.

• Members

Something ive always wondered. What in the world do people mean when they refer to a "dry" or "wet" distortion? Thats the only one I've never been able to figure out whatsoever. warm is slightly confusing to me also but I think I have an idea about that one. Is it basically just pleasant to the ear? Wouldn't mind if somebody was so inclined to clear those up for me. :lol:

Archived