Belated NGD-Les Paul Traditional Iced Tea Burst

pvwolfgang5150

• Members

I purchased this about 2 and a halfweeks ago (January 23rd), but haven't posted NGD thread yet. Anyway, this thing is absolutely fantastic. I tried about 30 other Les Pauls at various stores around me, and needless to say, this one is the winner. In my opinion, the Traditional is the best non-custom shop Les Paul that Gibson has to offer. It is the perfect example of a Les Paul.

Another thing I'd like to note is the case. Instead of the traditional handle, it has been updated so it is sturdier and feels more like a PRS or Fender case handle. Also, the combination lock has been replaced with a loop style lock.

Without further ado, here are the pics:

.....BTW: I know, I am no photographer.......

1000297.jpg

1000299m.jpg

1000300.jpg

• Members

Nice! My LP is also Ice Tea burst. They look great and seem to change color a lot depending on the light.

Since you mentioned the case, from what I've seen the regular Gibson cases are nicer than the Custom Shop cases.

The case that came with my Axcess is nothing special at all. In fact, it's probably no better than the $50 case I bought from MF for my other LP.

The standard case that came with an LP Studio I had was much nicer than the Custom Shop case.

HNGD!!

• Members

HNGD!!

I've been considering a Traditional myself, in the same color. Did you have to play a number of this model to find one you liked? I'm tempted to order one, but I hesitate, knowing how much Gibsons can vary from one guitar to the next.

:thu:

Out of the 30 Les Pauls I played at various different guitar stores about 10 of them were Traditionals and Traditional Pros.

• Members

Congrats, and HNLPD!

Anyway, this thing is absolutely fantastic. I tried about 30 other Les Pauls at various stores around me, and needless to say, this one is the winner

I had the exact same experience (except mine is a cherry burst, not iced tea). I liked the particular one I bought more than even other Traditionals (that was probably mostly setup, though).

• Members

Beautiful! I've never liked the sort of gaudy flame a lot of folks want on an LP (in fact, I prefer a plain top to that), but yours has a very subtle, understated and elegant look to it. Well done, and happy NGD!!!

I know what you mean, I can't stand the excessive flame/quilt that some Les Pauls posses.

• Members

Been on a couple of Traditional threads with you. Great looking guitar. I am bouncing between Iced Tea and Honey Burst. I'll keep trying them out and just settle on what plays best.

They're both great colors, I obviously like Iced Tea a little bit more, but you should go with what plays best, as that is what matters in the end.

• Members

HNGD!!

I've been considering a Traditional myself, in the same color. Did you have to play a number of this model to find one you liked? I'm tempted to order one, but I hesitate, knowing how much Gibsons can vary from one guitar to the next.

I think few people would argue that if you played 10 or 20 LP's, that all would be "the same".

So ordering online is a bit of a gamble. Sometimes the differences are subtle enough that unless you are comparing, you don't realize... one feels much better in your hand, or has a better top, or sounds different or "better" to you than the others.

That being said, there have been many people who have ordered online, or bought one used online that have received them, and been very happy.

What's your personality? The "pickier" you are, the more you need to go try a bunch!

M

• Members

I think few people would argue that if you played 10 or 20 LP's, that all would be "the same".

So ordering online is a bit of a gamble. Sometimes the differences are subtle enough that unless you are comparing, you don't realize... one feels much better in your hand, or has a better top, or sounds different or "better" to you than the others.

That being said, there have been many people who have ordered online, or bought one used online that have received them, and been very happy.

What's your personality? The "pickier" you are, the more you need to go try a bunch!

M

I've ordered several Epiphones and 2 Gibsons and they've all been 100% keepers! :thu:

• Members

I've been looking at Sweetwater as you can at least pick and choose from the exact model you'll get so you can weed out bad grains, etc. Still you really should play them first as every handmade guitar plays different from the next.

Yeah, the guitar gallery in Sweetwater can help you pick out a nice finish, however you still will never know what it really plays like until you buy it.

Buying online definitely isn't a bad thing nowadays, in fact, 1/2 of my guitar collection has been purchased online. However, I do like the thought that the guitar I take home is the one that picked out and it played/felt better than any of the others. Plus when you try before you buy, you may realize that the guitar that you originally came to get is the completely wrong guitar for you.