Resurrection: Post Guitars You've Brought Back From The Dead

Elias Graves

• Members

Peavey Patriot I bought mainly to get a gig from the pawn shop owner. It looked like it had been in the back of a pick-up truck for a year. Whammy bar from my parts bin, threaded to fit, pickguard made from two pieces and cut with a band saw and dremel. Body was buffed with steel wool and given a coat of satin poly. It took three hours to get the bridge apart, cleaned and reassembled. I had planned to replace the pickups, but was talked into leaving them, and they sound great. About $120 total, and a day of work. The dog on the headstock (pawn shop dog) is from a bookmark stolen from my wife, covered with super glue and bonded to a piece of pickguard material.

oldMattB

• Members

A very rare, though not particularly valuable, Gretsch Corvette Deluxe, ca. 1978. I bought this in the early 80s with a twisted neck and no electrics. It was not until last year I was able to get a photo to see what it should look like. Pickups should be open-coil, and volume knobs should be aluminum "G" knobs. Other than that, this is pretty much what it originally looked like. Pickguard cut with bandsaw and dremel. Pickups are GFS. Neck twist was corrected by loosening truss rod, hand twisting the neck the opposite way, and tightening the rod again. Small toggles are split coils, and were standard equipment, apparently.

It originally had a battery-powered treble booster. If you have a wiring diagram, I would love to see it. I have been looking for a long time...

oldMattB

• Members

That's pretty much my whole fleet.

`61 Corvette before (with among many other issues, a broken truss rod)

vette2.jpg

after

gretschbeaut4.jpg

`62 Corvette before:

mon5-26b1_33.jpg>>DSCN8010c.jpg

`66 Corvette before:

4X2vette1.jpg

after

vetetele-013c.jpg

`65 Astro Jet before:

Astro-Jet-006c.jpg

After

DSCN8606c.jpg

Got this `65 Corvette last week....it's in the process as I type. Not a whole lot to do though...currenty playable again...pics when it's done.

DSCF1306.jpg

• Members

Bought this Sheraton a few months ago. Neck was split from the nut about 6 inches down the neck. You could pull it apart pretty easily (which made the repair easier to be honest).

01010128-1.jpg

Before.

91epiSHER057.jpg

After (still needs clearcoat; just waiting for the weather to warm up before I mess with it).

01010130.jpg

Put some '57 Classics in it and she's a beast of a guitar.

• Members

I found this guitar in a friend's basement when I was back in high school; it was his older brother's guitar from the early-90s. The brother (who is actually a very good player, does lots of bluegrass stuff now) had left this guitar neglected in the family basement, complete with the stickers and a non-working pickup.

I installed a GFS Mean 90, new pots and jack from GFS as well. Amazingly, didn't need to adjust setup - and it's a good player! Just some intonation tweaks and obviously fresh strings. Left the stickers on, it's got some "mojo".

The Mean 90 is a cool pickup and when I did it I already had a superstrat with hot humbuckers so I wanted something different. Now, I sold the superstrat and just have a 335 and a Strat - so I may get another kind of pickup for it that fits my stable better.

IMG_0063.jpg

• Members

OK. I traded it last week, but here is mine. It is an Ibanez GIO. I found it in a junk shop in Charleston, SC and gave $25 for it with a nice gig bag. Notice the bridge. It was screwed into a piece of wood inside the tremolo cavity! :freak:

BEFORE:

3338587383_92e5df1526.jpg

AFTER:

3350507486_ccc3559435.jpg

• Members

This one was in pieces when I got it. The back was split in half, the top was in three pieces, neck off, etc. The before pics were lost.

HPIM0690.jpg
HPIM0514.jpg

EG

is that a harmony? If so, that guitar (another one of it, of course) is in my brother's room right now.

• Members

I'm not sure if this counts.

This is my main guitar. I got this in early 2008 (i think) without the pickups and most of the hardware. was lucky enough to find some of the original type pickups, and then threw on some hardware.

the original neck broke twice - first time was at the neck joint and headstock, which i (poorly) repaired. then it happened again about six months later just to the headstock (see here http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/BlackHolesAndRevelations/gear/random/misc/GEDC0436-1.jpg ). ended up having the neck replaced completely as it was warped.

Here it is today. The ONLY parts original to this guitar are the studs in the body and the pickup rings. The body is the same as it was 20 something years ago...except for the finish, which I'm considering redoing (don't ask what happened to it).

IMG_0018.jpg

• Members

I'm not sure if this counts.

This is my main guitar. I got this in early 2008 (i think) without the pickups and most of the hardware. was lucky enough to find some of the original type pickups, and then threw on some hardware.

the original neck broke twice - first time was at the neck joint and headstock, which i (poorly) repaired. then it happened again about six months later just to the headstock (see here
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/BlackHolesAndRevelations/gear/random/misc/GEDC0436-1.jpg
). ended up having the neck replaced completely as it was warped.

Here it is today. The ONLY parts original to this guitar are the studs in the body and the pickup rings. The body is the same as it was 20 something years ago...except for the finish, which I'm considering redoing (don't ask what happened to it).

IMG_0018.jpg

That's one of the coolest pics I've ever seen. :cool: What a setup.