What's wrong with Gibson Studio and Fender HWY1?

dimibetan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I haven't heard too many negatives about either of them. As a matter of fact, most people rave about the LP studios. I'm not a big strat guy so haven't done as much reading about them but the little I've seen, most people speak highly of the HWY 1s also.

where are you seeing all the negatives about them?

• Members

The things I don't like about the LP studios are a flat top, no binding and dot inlays don't look good to me (though some have normal inlays).

That being said I don't think those features are worth the extra $$ for a Gibson LP. So I cheaped out and got an Epiphone when I wanted a Gibson. I would have gone for the Goldtop Studio Raw Power if only it had normal inlays instead of dots.

• Members

What's wrong with Gibson Studio, Fender HWY1 and other low priced MIA's?

Nothing. Unless you're at TheGearPage where unless it's custom shop it's garbage (that was a joke).

They are all American-made, right?

Why do some people dont like them?

We're picky bastards. Also some of us are snobs.

Does it mean: high price = high quality, low price = low quality?

This used to be a fairly solid guideline, but it's becoming less true over time.

• Members

Hmm, my winered Studio is definitely not flat top

The things I don't like about the LP studios are a flat top, no binding and dot inlays don't look good to me (though some have normal inlays).

That being said I don't think those features are worth the extra $$ for a Gibson LP. So I cheaped out and got an Epiphone when I wanted a Gibson. I would have gone for the Goldtop Studio Raw Power if only it had normal inlays instead of dots.

• Members

Hmm, my winered Studio is definitely not flat top

Yeah some are not flat tops, some have regular inlays and some have binding. Finding one with all 3 is what I found hard. For now I am happy with the EPI, if the bug bites me again maybe I will eventually find a studio with all 3.

• Members

Yeah some are not flat tops, some have regular inlays and some have binding. Finding one with all 3 is what I found hard. For now I am happy with the EPI, if the bug bites me again maybe I will eventually find a studio with all 3.

Maybe you're thinking of the Les Paul Specials?

• Members

Pretty much, the Studio Fadeds the Highway Ones are the same quality as the Studio and American Standard with slightly different features and a less time intensive finish process.

It's not like American Standards are the best guitars ever and Highway One is utter crap. They are the same quality of instrument, but the finish and all the post build work is better and more complete on the American Standard. If you want the rolled edges and glossy finish, you pay the extra for the American Standard. Anything else (headstock shape, fret size) is personal preference not 'better or worse'.

• Members

What's wrong with Gibson Studio, Fender HWY1 and other low priced MIA's?

They are all American-made, right?

Why do some people dont like them?

Does it mean: high price = high quality, low price = low quality?

:confused:

I really, really like the Highway 1's. Seriously I dig the satin finish and the overall feel of the instrument. Referring to the Tele here. The sound is just what I expect. :thu:

The Studio series are nice as well. Real LP's at a nice price (for Gibson) because they leave off a lot of the eye candy while keeping the meat-n-taters. So, yeah they're cool in my book too.

:)

• Members

Yeah, he's thinking about specials. Les paul studios are almost identical to standards only minus the binding and flame tops. But all Studio's are carved tops.

anyways.

I've owned a few studio's and they are fantastic guitars. And my Hwy 1 tele is my favourite guitar in the world.

• Members

My studio is not a flat top. And while lacking binding, the aged alpine white finish (it's 16 years old) and ebony fret board more than make up for it lacking binding. And to the OP, while I can't speak for the Highway One series, as I have not played them, I love my LP Studio. It was my first 6 string and it's still all around my favorite guitar. And given everything in my sig and some of the other things I've owned (including a Firebird V and Music Man Silhouette), that says a lot about that guitar. At least to me it does. Plus mine's been abused to high hell over the years and it still holds up.

• Members

I looked online at Guitar Center and Sam Ash as well as visiting a local store. Don't recall seeing any with all 3. Do you have a link to one online that has all 3? Really looking for a Goldtop which would mean 4 things - Curved top, Normal Inlays, Bindiing & Goldtop.

• Members

All actual studios have a carved top and trap inlays. To answer the OP "why do some not care fore the cheaper models"

Because they're idiots

• Members

All actual studios have a carved top and trap inlays. To answer the OP "why do some not care fore the cheaper models"

Because they're idiots

To not "care for" a particular guitar does not make someone an idiot. On the other hand, to say that "all Gibson Studios suck" might indicate that someone is mentally challenged (or trolling).

I personally have owned two Gibson Les Paul Studios. Both were excellent guitars, but I "didn't care for them" so I sold them. Specifically, I don't like the way Gibson finishes their fret ends on unbound necks. Also, I "don't care for" the 490/498 pickups that Gibson chooses to put in many of their Studios. I realize that both of these issues are easy to remedy (in fact I "fixed" both issues on mine). But ultimately I decided to sell my Studios and keep my Epiphone Elitist, just because I feel it is "more bang for the buck" and I prefer the way it feels, looks, sounds, and plays. As with just about any post on HCEG, your experience may differ from mine.

• Members

• Members

The Fadeds have carved tops. Those are all Studios.

I don't think I understand the thread or this question. :confused:

The Highway Ones and the Studio Fadeds have less work that goes into the finishing of the guitar which other than advertising, is likely the most expensive single step of building the guitar. Give it a finish that doesn't require much after it's applied vs someone having to wet sand and polish and buff it by hand... boom. You save $300 to $500.

So these aren't real Studios? Maybe the pic in the Sam Ash one just looks like a flat top?

http://www.samash.com/p/Les%20Paul%20Studio%20Electric%20Guitar%20Assorted%20Colors_817465

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Raw-Power-Electric-Guitar-582135-i1516800.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Swamp-Ash-Studio-Electric-Guitar-102089893-i1149451.gc