Hardening your fingertips...

Toto99

• Members

Just wondered if there is anything I can do (apart from playing constant guitar which I already do - 4 hours+ a day) to harden the tips of my fingers. Sometimes my fingertips hurt a little bit after a few hours of playing.

Maybe I should rub them on sandpaper or something :lol:

• Members

You can either practice more...

or...

smack them with a hammer everyday for a month.

Actually, I don't have defined callouses on my finger tips and I can play forever without them hurting. You may want to consider backing off on the pressuer you're playing with

• Members

I've played hours a day for 5 years and have yet to EVER get anything vaguely resembling a callous. My fingers never hurt when I play and I mainly play lead guitar bending the piss out of the things. Never really understood it, but oh well! :thu:

*edit now I should note I've always played with a very light touch so maybe that's why? I'm assuming it has more to do with skin types or something.

• Members

u know what i found, i find different string gauges affect how much my fingers 'hurt'

i actually get more pain using really light strings, eg. 9's i dunno they just really seem to 'cut' into my fingers if the strings are too thin.

think razorblades.

oh and if u didnt know already, if u wash your hands before playing, i think it softens up your fingers (a bad thing). that doesnt stop me though personally, i always wash my hands before playing haha

• Members

I play and teach violin/viola everyday and my finger-tips have been permanently calloused for 30 years.

I use a fair amount of pressure on the viola which is my main squeeze so playing 0.9 gauge strings with a 2mm action is a walk in the park in comparison...although I DO habitually press too hard and would like to develop a lighter touch on guitar.

I can get to the point sometimes where I have too thick a callous and this can create a sore sensation so either have to 'trim' them down a bit or man-up and play through the pain!!

At music college we used to rub our finger tips with surgical spirit to harden them but ultimately only endless playing seems to toughen them up.

No real shortcuts I'm afraid

• Members

I play and teach violin/viola everyday and my finger-tips have been permanently calloused for 30 years.

I use a fair amount of pressure on the viola which is my main squeeze so playing 0.9 gauge strings with a 2mm action is a walk in the park in comparison...although I DO habitually press too hard and would like to develop a lighter touch on guitar.

I can get to the point sometimes where I have too thick a callous and this can create a sore sensation so either have to 'trim' them down a bit or man-up and play through the pain!!

At music college we used to rub our finger tips with surgical spirit to harden them but ultimately only endless playing seems to toughen them up.

No real shortcuts I'm afraid

I have a couple of viola jokes I got from "Classical Music for Dummies"...

...wanna hear 'em?:poke:

• Members

Get one of these excersisers:

240_HandFingerExerciser.JPG

Then order a set of these to put on it:

251428.jpg

I would go with the yellow exerciser, it's plenty for most folks. The fingertip things are slightly sharp and hard plastic, so they really help build up calluses quick.

I keep one in the car and just use it while I'm driving.

• Members

....thanks jelloman....but I must have heard them all by now :rolleyes:...eg...

Q: What's the difference between a dead hedgehog on the motorway and a dead viola-player on the motorway?

A: There are skid-marks in front of the hedgehog.

Q: Whats the difference between a lawn-mower and a viola?

A: No-one wants to borrow your viola.

....etc...etc ;)

• Members

Get one of these excersisers:

240_HandFingerExerciser.JPG

Then order a set of these to put on it:

251428.jpg

I would go with the yellow exerciser, it's plenty for most folks. The fingertip things are slightly sharp and hard plastic, so they really help build up calluses quick.

I keep one in the car and just use it while I'm driving.

I actually own a red one of these which I bought for wrestling training, but I've always found it too tough. Might try one of the lighter ones. Thanks for the tip!

• Members

I had a kyokushin karate teacher who did that, but with an even thicker rock. It's just beyond awesomeness.

As for fingertips, the long hard way seems the only foolproof one. Don't try jamming them into a lawnmower, it doesn't help (I only did it by accident and it was my right hand anyway and since I mostly use picks, it's not a hinderance these days).