Gibson Quality Decline

radomu

• Members

The past month or so, I've attended various guitar shops all over tokyo and I've played Gibson Les Pauls and Edwards Les Pauls. I noticed that there's something extremely "lacking" about the Gibson's. What is it? I don't feel like I'm playing a platinum-quality guitar like I'm supposed to, unlike the Edwards ones that are just fantastically amazing.

It's not bad, but I won't pay more than a thousand dollars for them.

Are Gibson's declining in quality?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There have been so many changes from year to year. My 90 and my 93 are the same in every playable way save for the fact that just a 3 year difference from LP studio to LP studio made neck profile seem noticeably different... And even more so on my friends post-2000 LP studio. Seems like the newer they get the less I like the way they feel.

• Members

Gibson guitars have had QC issues in consistancy every year. They are hand made to a large extent, and this is where the inconsistancy comes from in part. The woods used also affect this, as in any guitar made by any company. No two pieces ever sound the same. The biggest flucuation to me has always been in how the necks are shaped from one guitar to the next in the same model, year, etc.

Henry is not the greatest boss to work for and this will affect the attitude of the workers there in both a positive and negative way from day to day.

In Japan, the workers have more pride in their individual work and it shows in the consistancy of their products.

I have played several Edwards from different years and they all were equally beautifully done and felt similar. I owned a couple and found them to be very consistant in tone and playability after I set them up to my tastes. The biggest differences were in the sound of the guitars due to the wood being different from one piece to the next, which is normal, but the necks were very similar.

Tokai guitars were very consistant from one to the next as well.

When I bought Gibsons, I had to search through a lot of them over time to find one that I was satisfied with. Every one I ever played was different from one to the next to a greater degree then the Edwards were from one to the next. It could be the way they are tooled, hand-finished, any number of reasons. I think the people at Edwards are more consistant in their hand finishing abilities and strive for more consistancy then Gibson does, but this is just my opinion based on my experiences.

• Members

In Japan, the workers have more pride in their individual work and it shows in the consistancy of their products.

I've spent a lot of time in Japan, and Asia (months a year) and can't say I agree with that much, it's not the guys/builders, it's the company. Japanese companies generally won't ship out crap. If something isn't right, they'll stop the production and fix it, and dump bad product rather then ship it out. Every year they try to make it better, not necessarily cheaper. Quality control is very strict. They care how they're perceived and know the way they "look" today will haunt them for ages. They look long term.

They call it "face." The way they're perceived by others.

North American companies seem to be more interested in "today." Gotta make the money today to make the investors happy or they'll leave on a moments notice. The company I work for was big into "Ship it... we'll fix the problem on the weekend and the ones we make next week will be fine, or maybe not, but keep building, we need to make 1000 a day or I don't get my bonus!" They've gotten a lot better in the last few years, but no one's paying attention... "we bought one of those before, and it sucked, why would I buy another?"

Things seem to be reversing however. In the '70s, if you bought a Sony anything, it was a great product. It didn't matter what it was... now they're in a race to the bottom. While some American products are getting better.

• Members

Isn't Toyota Japanese? (Sorry, couldn't resist):poke:
:cop::p;):wave:

Actually THAT'S a great example of "Face."

I work in Robotics and have been in auto plants all over the world. Toyota is famous in the industry for doing invisible recalls (I forget the proper term off hand). If you have a Ford, and some part is known to go wrong, they'd send you a letter to bring your car in for a fix. Toyota on the other hand waited until you brought your car in for maintenance, then they'd do the work and you wouldn't know anything about it. Your oil change just took longer and there were three guys doing it... it just auto/prints on the work order.

You'd think Ford makes crap because they called your car in for another fix, and Toyotas are great because they haven't. Until the lawsuits start from people who DON'T bring their cars into a Toyota dealer for work... and have been driving around with a known dangerous problem. "Face" doesn't always work. Sometimes you've got to stand up and say, we made a mistake... the Japanese aren't very good at that. It wasn't long ago when they'd kill themself for that kind of thing.

P.S. Toyota is Sony in the 90s... in a race to the bottom.

• Members

Actually THAT'S a great example of "Face."

I work in Robotics and have been in auto plants all over the world. Toyota is famous in the industry for doing invisible recalls (I forget the proper term off hand). If you have a Ford, and some part is known to go wrong, they'd send you a letter to bring your car in for a fix. Toyota on the other hand waited until you brought your car in for maintenance, then they'd do the work and you wouldn't know anything about it. Your oil change just took longer and there were three guys doing it... it just auto/prints on the work order.

You'd think Ford makes crap because they called your car in for another fix, and Toyotas are great because they haven't. Until the lawsuits start from people who DON'T bring their cars into a Toyota dealer for work... and have been driving around with a known dangerous problem. "Face" doesn't always work. Sometimes you've got to stand up and say, we made a mistake... the Japanese aren't very good at that. It wasn't long ago when they'd kill themself for that kind of thing.

P.S. Toyota is Sony in the 90s... in a race to the bottom.

sorry, way off topic, but im actually majoring in electronics/control systems and graduate next semester. where are you located? id like to know a little more about working in the field too. id appreciate it if you could give me some advice or pointers. sorry everyone, back to topic...