1964 Fender Jaguar Value

GobowenLad

• Members

Given that it's all original, I would say somewhere around $3000, plus or minus a few hundred. You see them on gbase.com or on eBay with Buy It Now prices higher than that, but they don't tend to actually sell at those higher prices so they aren't an accurate gauge of value.

If you're looking to sell it, I would start it a little above $3000 and see what happens.

(I would take that Buzz Stop off there. :D:D)

• Members

My bad. If you're going to refinish, why wouldn't you do something more exotic than Oly White?

They might have originally been Oly White. Plus it's is an extremely popular color for Jags.

Either that or they were originally sunburst, which means they would have the tort guard and an unpainted headstock. The only other Fender color for a Jag that came with a tort guard and a non-painted headstock was Oly White, so a lot of ones that were originally sunburst have been refinished in Oly White to sort of "work with what is there" but make is less boring than the countless vintage sunburst ones out there.

If you go for one of the more interesting custom colors but want to make it "vintage correct", then you have to track down an original white pickguard (which can be really expensive) and paint the headstock which means removing the original logo which people don't like to do (for good reasons).

• Members

Here's an Oly White all original '65 Jag on eBay with a $3500 Buy It Now price. It has the painted headstock like yours and is in similar condition. Granted it has the bound neck, which was a new feature in '65, so it's not just like yours but it's close.

It's been up there for about a week and hasn't sold.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320487220955

• Members

Here's an Oly White all original '65 Jag on eBay with a $3500 Buy It Now price. It has the painted headstock like yours and is in similar condition. Granted it has the bound neck, which was a new feature in '65, so it's not just like yours but it's close.

It's been up there for about a week and hasn't sold.

That means nothing.

• Members

That means nothing.

It doesn't mean "nothing". It certainly tells you something about the value of a mid 60s Jaguar with an original Oly White finish. The best way to get a good idea of what a guitar will sell for, in my opinion, is to watch eBay auctions to see where they end up. That includes Buy It Now listings. If that one has been sitting there for a week and hasn't sold, given how many people watch Jaguar auctions, then it's definitely not a great deal so you can say $3500 is at the very least at the high end of what people are willing to pay right now, if not too high of a price.

I watch Jaguar auctions all the time on eBay so I know when things are overpriced, when they're reasonable, and when they're great deals. If that one had been put up with a $2500 Buy It Now it would have sold in less than an hour (actually, I would have bought it :D).

If the OP put his Jag up on eBay I guarantee it would go higher than $1800. A '64 that had a refinished neck, repro tuners, no original case, and a horrible painting of a Jaguar on it with an orange background just sold for almost $1600. There's no way an all original Oly White one would only fetch $1800, no matter what the scenario. Occasionally you can score an all original sunburst one for that cheap, but only very rarely.

Archived