Any Fernandes fans?

The Villano Dude

• Members

So, now that it is tax refund time I am looking around for a new (under 1000) guitar that might be fun, since I have an Ibanez RG7 and Fender tele I sort of think I should get something weird and have been looking at the Vertigo series, really intrigued by adding the sustainer and all...

Anyway, any thoughts/opinions?

• Members

So, now that it is tax refund time I am looking around for a new (under 1000) guitar that might be fun, since I have an Ibanez RG7 and Fender tele I sort of think I should get something weird and have been looking at the Vertigo series, really intrigued by adding the sustainer and all...

Anyway, any thoughts/opinions?

I have a Japanese Fernandes and Fernandes P-Project (vintage style but with modern appointments like preamp, active pups, stainless frets etc).

Both bought dirt cheap from japan (they hold zero 2nd hand value over there), both are phenomenal, the necks are just gorgeous, fit and finish is great. I really love my Fernandes-es (fernandi?!)

But.. those vertigos and such, not sure where they are made..

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg

fer2.jpg

fer_1.jpg

• Members

I've always liked Fernandes' better stuff since the 80s. Only piece I've ever actually owned is my MIJ P Bass.

ZERO complaints and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, but as was said, they have pretty poor resale value so I'd absolutely buy used unless it was something I was head over heels in love with and I just couldn't live without.

P1060360a1.jpg

• Members

I've always liked Fernandes' better stuff since the 80s. Only piece I've ever actually owned is my MIJ P Bass.

ZERO complaints and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, but as was said, they have pretty poor resale value so I'd absolutely buy used unless it was something I was head over heels in love with and I just couldn't live without.

Is it me or is that a jazz bass?

Either way it looks frickin nice.

There are a few Ferandes fans around here. I've never played one, but out of all the {censored}storms that occur here on HCEG I've never heard anyone put them down. Lots of praise and they seem to fly under the radar which makes them a great sleeper guitar in terms of buying used....in most cases anyway.

• Members

I had a Ferd P/J bass for a while. Loved the style, and Ive never seen another like it. It was black with a tele(guitar or G&L ASAT) shaped body, passive P/J pickups, maple neck, and reverse 4 on a side headstock.

Fit, finish, & workmanship was excellent.

The tone was just ok, sorta like a Fender MIM. And it was fairly heavy.

Sold it when I bought a Ric, but shoulda kept it just for the Pbass sound the Ric didnt have.

• Members

depends what models we`re talking about in Japan, basses from what I`ve seen sell for much less than guitars over here and acrylic guitars appeal to fewer player maybe...I see used Fernandes on line here a lot, true most don`t fetch as much as old Tokais or Grecos but some do.

I have a few...got this one from a pawn type chain shop...the pots are dummies and the p`ups are Duncan Alnico Pro IIs, this is one of my favorite guitars, just sounds and plays beautifully, I think it was cistom made `cause I`ve never seen anything like it before or since. It`s wired oddly, in the middle position it sounds like the volume pots act like tone pots...not sure how it works...but sounds great.

forsaleIV072.jpg

my Akira Wada P-project...real nice model...

forsaleIII183.jpg

another used one, this one is custom made...says so in the neck pocket. Original owner paid 138,000 yen in the early `80s, came with the warranty card with info written on it. Had to buy it in spite of the Floyd, just too nice to leave behind, I have no idea why more people aren`t after guitars like this, they just don`t get any better, really, I have other top end guitars to compare to and this one hangs in there with the best.

forsaleIII112.jpg

heres another The Function strat, like the white one only...this is a low end model. It`s OK but nowhere near the others...it would make a nice starter guitar, but I think I paid $100.oo and I figured worst case it would be a donor guitar but the neck is nice. Saw a couple of other The Function recently with made in Taiwan stickers...this might be one of those...no sticker...but for the price I ain`t complaining...also have a double bucker The Function tele from the early `80s thats a beauty but no pics...I`ll have to take some...but it has a brass nut, brass saddles and a brass bridge block...it has a trem arm, paid $400.oo and I considered that a steal...Fernandes from that time can be excellent guitars...

forsaleIII267.jpg

• Members

i used to endorse Fernandes in the 90s, back when i was signed.

they made me a few LE-2 strat type models that were GREAT guitars. i played them for years.

if you can find the older MIJ models from the 80s and 90s, they are really good guitars for the $$$ :thu:

• Members

i used to endorse Fernandes in the 90s, back when i was signed.

they made me a few LE-2 strat type models that were GREAT guitars. i played them for years.

if you can find the older MIJ models from the 80s and 90s, they are really good guitars for the $$$
:thu:

:thu: I bought one in 1985 - a Fernandes strat that was one of the best guitars I've ever owned. Whenever I brought it other guitarists wanted to play it. They were really taken back by the classic sound of the pickups.

So why did I trade it in? For the life of me I can't remember. :facepalm:

• Members

A friend of mine was one of the first Fernandes dealers in the country back in the mid 80s and I got to play a lot of their older copies and first original designs. I never really cared for the original designs but loved the copies like the LE2s and the Teles. I did end up buying a PJ50 P-J bass that I still have that has the most beautiful midrange tone, very fretless sounding.

• Members

I have an early '80 (lawsuite era) Fernandes Super Grade (a LP copy), and I'm really in love with this guitar.

I own and owned several original Gibson, including some custom shop...well this Fernandes is obviusly not the best one, but certainly one of the best, in tone, playability and manufacturing (has got a really sweet fretboard).

• Members

I love Fernandes! The Sustainer is one of the coolest guitar gadgets around IMO.

Luckily I don't need one since I got my Pigtronix Attack Sustain :)

I love the Vertigo. If I were looking for another modern guitar, I'd be really into a hardtail Vertigo in white with a Sustainer in the bridge.

Sustainers only work in the neck position.

• Members

I used to have a Fernandes Revolver Pro which I bought mainly for the Sustainer. As a guitar, it was mediocre - not bad, not great. But I really liked the Sustainer on it. I eventually sold it because I'm not a fan of Floyd Rose trems and decided to put a Sustainiac in one of my other guitars. But I've heard really good things about the more expensive Fernandes models and would consider one if I were in the market.

• Members

depends what models we`re talking about in Japan, basses from what I`ve seen sell for much less than guitars over here and acrylic guitars appeal to fewer player maybe...I see used Fernandes on line here a lot, true most don`t fetch as much as old Tokais or Grecos but some do.

I have a few...got this one from a pawn type chain shop...the pots are dummies and the p`ups are Duncan Alnico Pro IIs, this is one of my favorite guitars, just sounds and plays beautifully, I think it was cistom made `cause I`ve never seen anything like it before or since. It`s wired oddly, in the middle position it sounds like the volume pots act like tone pots...not sure how it works...but sounds great.

Funny thing with that acrylic Fernandes I picked up, I searched everwhere online for that model, nothing, wasn't in any of the catalogues, Marie at Japan Vintage guitars had a contact who tracked it down to a one off custom order.

I'd bought it for novelty value, the guys at Ishibashi couldn't wait to get it out the door! but damn is it a nice guitar, huge warm sound and a beautiful neck

Archived