1953 gibson es175d appx value?

flyinbryan

• Members

i have a gibson es175d that was my fathers. it is very natural blonde in color and in extremely good overall condition. i arrived at the conclusion that it was a 1953 model by checking the s.n. on a website a few years back.

it also has a bigsby tremelo on it. it has had the tuning machines changed out to another brand (ping i believe) and does not have the original tone and volume knobs on it.

it is otherwise in near perfect condition and plays great. awesome action.

any idea of approx. value? i know its impossible without pics, and i will try to post some, but just ballpark?

thx, bryan.

• Members

Vintage Prices For 2008 :

1949 - 1951 > $4500 to $5500 ( p90 pickups)

1952 - 1956 > $4000 to $4500

1957 - 1959 > $6000 to $7000 (Humbucker)

1960 - 1964 > $4500 to $6000

1965 - 1966 > $3500 to $4000

1967 - 1969 > $4500 to $6000 ( Black )

1967 - 1971 > $2400 to $3000 ( various colors )

These prices were from 2008... the market has fallen of late

• Members

in very rough numbers, a 53 - 56 ES-175DN (d = double pickups, n = natural finish), based on gbase ads, runs from 6K to 10K

a 57 - 61 175DN would probably be roughly double that. Depending of course on condition, originality, verifiability, etc.

the difference between 56 and 57 is p-90 (black plastic cover) pickups versus humbucker (nickel cover) pickups.

I would love to see pics, you have a pretty rare guitar. I think your best bet would be to take some very detailed pictures (include the label through the f-hole) and send them to Gruhn Guitars for a detailed appraisal.

• Members

thx. let me get some pics up. i AM NOT planning to sell it. i lost my dad when i was 16 and it does me good to hear how nice his guitar was.

pics coming.

Sorry to hear that, but the guitar is a great thing to have and remember him by.

Sounds like a lovely guitar. It may worth having it appraised and insured just in case something happens to it.

• Members

Its not really fake . . . I was joking . .

It would be worth it to track down the original knobs and tuners off ebay or craigslist .. ..

Hold on to that beast the market is incredibly soft right now, that thing will be worth twice what it is 10 years from now.

• Members

i didnt know about the bridge but i knew the knobs and tuners had been changed.

i would like to find the time period correct knobs and tuners.

the electrics work very good, no static or anything. it seems to hold tune forever.

like i said, no plans to sell it because it was my dads. he was really good on it from what i remember, me not so much, lol.

• Members

lol, i figured you were! i need to research pics of similar ones from about the same era to get an idea what i need to look for in knobs and tuners.

Its not really fake . . . I was joking . .

It would be worth it to track down the original knobs and tuners off ebay or craigslist .. ..

Hold on to that beast the market is incredibly soft right now, that thing will be worth twice what it is 10 years from now.

• Members

lol, i figured you were! i need to research pics of similar ones from about the same era to get an idea what i need to look for in knobs and tuners.

Ur going to wanna go for exact spec. .. not all parts on that one doing that will actually lower the value . . ill find some hold up!

• Members

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Gibson-Deluxe-tuners-Kluson-1969-1974_W0QQitemZ270516445990QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3efc096326

These are close for the tuners . . your probably going to want to shoot for some from the early sixties late fifties however.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1959-GIBSON-LES-PAUL-STANDARD-KNOB-SET-AMBER_W0QQitemZ110474954552QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item19b8d20738

Those are the knobs .. . but you only need too, and that guys price is incredibly steep to begin with . . expect to pay at least 100 bucks for them though.

Archived