Vintage Univox Amps

akpasta

• Members

I'm looking for 60s tube amps right now on craigst list and the like. Here's a very vague post about a "60s vintage Univox" on craigs list" for a pretty cheap $350, says it has reverb AND Tremolo too (nice).

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/msg/1614966061.html

Doesn't list a model number or anything, or any other info about it. I can't find which one this is either. first google search wound up a "Univox Amplifiers" web site with photos and information. This amp didn't have a photo there so I couldn't tell which it was.

Any advice would be appreciated, you know craigslist, gotta move fast.

thanks,

Andy

• Members

There's a bass amp called the 1235 that's similar to that. 2 6L6's, solid state rectifier, reportedly very loud and clean. I think that might be the guitar version, but I don't know the model. Most Univox tube amps were based on Fender or Marshall designs. Some were great, some weren't. You'll just have to try it and see.

• Members

Most Univox tube amps were based on Fender or Marshall designs.

Not the ones I've seen. Maybe the blue vinyl covered ones, but the small combos have more in common with Harmony/Kay/Supro and other bargain bin amps, only they don't sound as good.

• Members

I'm looking for 60s tube amps right now on craigst list and the like. Here's a very vague post about a "60s vintage Univox" on craigs list" for a pretty cheap $350, says it has reverb AND Tremolo too (nice).

Doesn't list a model number or anything, or any other info about it. I can't find which one this is either. first google search wound up a "Univox Amplifiers" web site with photos and information. This amp didn't have a photo there so I couldn't tell which it was.

Any advice would be appreciated, you know craigslist, gotta move fast.

thanks,

Andy

I think the guy from dinosaur jr used that amp.

• Members

I don't have any usefull information on Univox Amps, but here's the one I had in the early 1970's....between my 'playing skills', and 105 watts of tube amplifier, 8 ten inch speakers in a cab the size of a smallish refrigerator in my tiny living room, I'm surprised the neighbors didn't kill me. I would have killed me if I had lived next door to myself at that time. Now I manage to get by with a tiny Vox 15 watt SS combo.

sizedUnivoxamp.jpg

Notice the microphone? I didn't do 'vocals'...see the harmonica on the amp head?....I didn't play the harmonica worth a crap either (still don't)...God! I must have been an A-hole back then.

:facepalm:

• Members

On the whole, they are hit or miss. Copies of various other amps, by a variety of makers.

I've only really looked into models from the 60s, and there are only 2 or 3 that people seem to hunt for. What exactly are you looking to get from the amp?

Old designs, cheaper components...

• Members

I own a U150R from the early 70's. It isn't a tube amp, but it isn't all that bad. It is basically a piece of art now. Would I take out on tour or even to the local pub, doubt it very much, but it is fun to crank up every now and then.

As for it's condition, it is in perfect working order and probably better physical shape that a lot of 2 year old amps. Heck, I never even revised the plug over to a 3 prong.

Just for grins here is a shot:

univox_001.jpg

• Members

I don't have any usefull information on Univox Amps, but here's the one I had in the early 1970's....between my 'playing skills', and 105 watts of tube amplifier, 8 ten inch speakers in a cab the size of a smallish refrigerator in my tiny living room, I'm surprised the neighbors didn't kill me. I would have killed me if I had lived next door to myself at that time. Now I manage to get by with a tiny Vox 15 watt SS combo.

sizedUnivoxamp.jpg

Notice the microphone? I didn't do 'vocals'...see the harmonica on the amp head?....I didn't play the harmonica worth a crap either (still don't)...God! I must have been an A-hole back then.

:facepalm:

Is that an Epiphone FT-150 on the stand?

• 7 years later...
  • Members

Hi guys trying to find out the value of a univox bass head and cab I have. Head is u-1061 and cab is ufo-15 . I found a head that sold on reverb for $450 but didn’t have all original dials. Any help is appreciated. I also have the original leather covers for this set as well. Can’t get the pics to upload but you can see it here. https://offerup.co/lLdq/iQyasACRQI

Archived