Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Univox Amps

I'm looking for 60s tube amps right now on craigst list and the like. Here's a very vague post about a "60s vintage Univox" on craigs list" for a pretty cheap $350, says it has reverb AND Tremolo too (nice).

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/msg/1614966061.html

Doesn't list a model number or anything, or any other info about it. I can't find which one this is either. first google search wound up a "Univox Amplifiers" web site with photos and information. This amp didn't have a photo there so I couldn't tell which it was.

Any advice would be appreciated, you know craigslist, gotta move fast.

thanks,

Andy

I've messed with a couple of them. Relatively decent construction on heavy gauge brown PC boards. Sound is really anemic, even with the stock brown frame Jensen C12R speakers.

Comment

There's a bass amp called the 1235 that's similar to that. 2 6L6's, solid state rectifier, reportedly very loud and clean. I think that might be the guitar version, but I don't know the model. Most Univox tube amps were based on Fender or Marshall designs. Some were great, some weren't. You'll just have to try it and see.

Comment

Most Univox tube amps were based on Fender or Marshall designs.

Not the ones I've seen. Maybe the blue vinyl covered ones, but the small combos have more in common with Harmony/Kay/Supro and other bargain bin amps, only they don't sound as good.

Comment

Here's one I worked on and sold on Ebay for a friend. I did a cap job on it and it sounded o.k. but nothing to write home about. Very underpowered in my opinion. Kind of a neat antique toy. The vibrato was o.k.

"I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

Interesting. So the solid state ones aren't so hot, but if you can find one that's actually tube driven it might sound good. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

I'm looking for 60s tube amps right now on craigst list and the like. Here's a very vague post about a "60s vintage Univox" on craigs list" for a pretty cheap $350, says it has reverb AND Tremolo too (nice).

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/msg/1614966061.html

Doesn't list a model number or anything, or any other info about it. I can't find which one this is either. first google search wound up a "Univox Amplifiers" web site with photos and information. This amp didn't have a photo there so I couldn't tell which it was.

Any advice would be appreciated, you know craigslist, gotta move fast.

thanks,

Andy

I think the guy from dinosaur jr used that amp.
              http://www.reverbnation.com/snakeislandarego

Comment

I don't have any usefull information on Univox Amps, but here's the one I had in the early 1970's....between my 'playing skills', and 105 watts of tube amplifier, 8 ten inch speakers in a cab the size of a smallish refrigerator in my tiny living room, I'm surprised the neighbors didn't kill me. I would have killed me if I had lived next door to myself at that time. Now I manage to get by with a tiny Vox 15 watt SS combo.

Notice the microphone? I didn't do 'vocals'...see the harmonica on the amp head?....I didn't play the harmonica worth a crap either (still don't)...God! I must have been an A-hole back then.

Comment

What's the cool red guitar? Hagstrom?

Comment

What's the cool red guitar? Hagstrom?

Yeah, or a south american hagstrom copy
                    http://www.reverbnation.com/snakeislandarego

Comment

Well here's the amp. http://www.univox.org/pics/catalogs/1968_amps2.jpg

It's a 1968 U-320PB, 60 watts, tube amp with solid state rectifier. The sellers says it's really quiet, which makes me think that maybe it's not working properly. thoughts?

Comment

On the whole, they are hit or miss. Copies of various other amps, by a variety of makers.

I've only really looked into models from the 60s, and there are only 2 or 3 that people seem to hunt for. What exactly are you looking to get from the amp?

Old designs, cheaper components...
                        To be insane beyond belief; is sometimes the best relief.

Comment

I own a U150R from the early 70's. It isn't a tube amp, but it isn't all that bad. It is basically a piece of art now. Would I take out on tour or even to the local pub, doubt it very much, but it is fun to crank up every now and then.

As for it's condition, it is in perfect working order and probably better physical shape that a lot of 2 year old amps. Heck, I never even revised the plug over to a 3 prong.

Just for grins here is a shot:

Good Deals With:

Tweedledee, Yavin, Tube_Tone, Florbastang, emmerwood, cbh5150, cody4474, Slave2theAudio, magz76, leftside, woodyjunior, Dr. Scottie C, BrunoRod

Comment

I know the guy behind univox.org, he was in a band with one of my best friends. I jammed with them a few times when he was getting started on that website.
                            Originally Posted by mike moriarty

Looks like an amp for old people.

Originally Posted by syscrusher

If the world didn't suck, we would fall off.

Originally Posted by PerfectTommy

kudos to Furtive for a clear and well-reasoned discussion. so rare to see something that has been thought through and presented rationally.

Comment

I don't have any usefull information on Univox Amps, but here's the one I had in the early 1970's....between my 'playing skills', and 105 watts of tube amplifier, 8 ten inch speakers in a cab the size of a smallish refrigerator in my tiny living room, I'm surprised the neighbors didn't kill me. I would have killed me if I had lived next door to myself at that time. Now I manage to get by with a tiny Vox 15 watt SS combo.

Notice the microphone? I didn't do 'vocals'...see the harmonica on the amp head?....I didn't play the harmonica worth a crap either (still don't)...God! I must have been an A-hole back then.

Is that an Epiphone FT-150 on the stand?
                              The Blues You Play Will Chase Your Blues Away

Comment

Working...
                              X