Epiphone "Custom Shop"?

MichaelSaulnier

• Members

I bought a Epi G400... nice white one... with a little blem... from GC yesterday.

On the back of the headstock, it says: Limited Edition Custom Shop in a ring around the word Epiphone.

Does Epi in fact have a custom shop?

Is this just a "marketing" thing... or what?

Thanks in advance Epi "experts"!

M

• Members

Hmmm... maybe it's a special order just for GC, since the factory doesn't seem to make white G400's or any other white SG's except the Custom.

(Which is one of the key reasons I wanted it!)

Also weird... it has 11 numbers and no letters in the serial number.

Well, the dating info I've found so far doesn't list ANY Epi models having 11 numbers and no letters...

But it wouldn't be a "fake" if I got it at GC... I don't BELIEVE it was used?

M

• Members

It gets um..

lots of 'hands on luthier attention'.

My headstock looks like the one in your avatar Crisco... it also had the "Made in China" sticker on it... so I know it's not a "US made".

Still, it's a little strange that it doesn't conform to the standard serial number model...

Crisco, what does your serial number look like?

M

• Members

My headstock looks like the one in your avatar Crisco... it also had the "Made in China" sticker on it... so I know it's not a "US made".

Still, it's a little strange that it doesn't conform to the standard serial number model...

Crisco, what does your serial number look like?

M

11 digit current Qingdao model.

100_1687.jpg

They only put the prefix letters on until late last year..

In 2009 no Epi's had the letter prefix's as far as I know.

If it makes sense,

Qingdao Epi's usually have these exact stickers..

'Hand Crafted In China' and a blank 'Inspection QC'

2008 EE serial Qingdao China:

EE080502410-serial-l.jpg

While other factories such as Daewon and Unsung China have much similar looking stickers with slight variations..

Daewon:

0805124070-serial-lDaewon.jpg

(Unsung China has a Number scribbled in the QC sticker, Daewon has a letter scribbled there.)

Daewon is also notorious for crooked tuners. (see Pic)

• Members

So far I'm digging the pickups on this... and it plays very smoothly!

Never had an SG before, but it's really growing on me!!!

It's a little neck heavy, but not a real problem so far.

Here's a quick clip of the bridge pickup and a bit 'o overdrive tone...

FunkyG.mp3

Please forgive the sloppy playing... but I think it's a pretty cool tone!

M

• Members

I played a guitar that looked very similar to yours... not 100% on the serial number, but I'm pretty sure it did NOT have a letter prefix. The same guy had traded that and one of the Vintage 400s in on a Gibson SG Faded. They were both perfectly set up and to be honest, both sounded pretty darn great. And I'm a pickup swapper. I played them both through an AC15 and a NOS Blues Jr and was very impressed.

Sounds like you got a decent deal too. I think they were asking $225 used for the one I played and I was tempted, but I ended up getting an SG Faded.

• Members

Custom shop Epiphones are just limited runs of colors that are not stock for that particular instrument. There is no "custom shop" where there is more quality control. It's a marketing gimmick.

I have the G-400 SG Epi in Honey Burst and a White Epi LP Studio. Both have the logo. These are both not stock colors for these models.

My Slash Epi Goldtop also has the logo. Probably because it is a non-stock Epiphone and a limited number were made.

Archived