Fender Lead II

55gibby

• Members

I was haunting a local guitar store and seen a used Fender Lead II for sale. I have never played one before and found quite nice to play. It's used and they are asking $225 for it. I think it's a 1980. Here's the thing. It's all factory original except the paint on the body... the previous owner used a rattle can and painted it metal flake blue... and did a piss poor job. The neck is great and there seems to be very little fret wear (if any). All the hardware is factory and seems in great shape. It plays really well (could use a proper set up) and the pups seems good.

My question: is it worth it? I'm thinking I may want to get it and then redo the body (I'm thinking a transparent stain and clear, depending on the wood underneath). I'm on the fence over this one. It would be a fun project, but would I ever get my money back out of it?

• Members

I do like the lil'guy and it's seems fun to play. I'm going to stop in tonight and give it a good going over and run it through a proper amp (I was using a rocktron the first time). This may be my winter project... I'll know more tonight. $225 isn't a big investment and might be just what I need to keep me out of trouble.

• Members

If you don't take it send me the address...I'll drive all day and all nite for that deal...:poke:

...also...these guitars were notorious for major finish issues...checking, peeling, discolorations...a proper re-finish does not really effect their value...

GO GET IT...NOW, DAMMIT!

• Members

If you don't take it send me the address...I'll drive all day and all nite for that deal...:poke:

...also...these guitars were notorious for major finish issues...checking, peeling, discolorations...a proper re-finish does not really effect their value...

GO GET IT...NOW, DAMMIT!

what Jello said.

• Members

I really like those. Nice, substantial weight to them. A friend of mine has a flawless one that's a true joy to play. I'll put up some pictures later if I remember, or maybe I'll just leave for a few more months. ;-)

That's a weird thing about the Lead series. They're all either REALLY heavy (compared to a Strat), or REALLY light. I've never played one that was in-between.

• Members

They were fun guitars. Check the body isn't plywood before you decide on finish. A few of them were - still sounded good though.

Never heard that before. Both of mine were super dense swamp ash. Heavy as hell. Tons-o-sustain though. I heard somewhere that Fender created the Lead series essentially to empty out the parts bins at the Fullerton plant before they closed it - so it wouldn't surprise me if there was a huge variation in quality.

I really think Fender screwed the pooch by not using a lighter wood for the Lead. With its small size and skinny neck it would've been the perfect solidbody for female players. Certainly better than a Mustang or Jaguar for most types of rock.

• Members

That's a weird thing about the Lead series. They're all either REALLY heavy (compared to a Strat), or REALLY light. I've never played one that was in-between.

Yeah, this one was about as heavy as my '52 Tele. Most of the ones at Chicago Music Exchange weigh quite a bit less. I kind of like the heavier ones.

• Members

I was haunting a local guitar store and seen a used Fender Lead II for sale. I have never played one before and found quite nice to play. It's used and they are asking $225 for it. I think it's a 1980. Here's the thing. It's all factory original except the paint on the body... the previous owner used a rattle can and painted it metal flake blue... and did a piss poor job. The neck is great and there seems to be very little fret wear (if any). All the hardware is factory and seems in great shape. It plays really well (could use a proper set up) and the pups seems good.

My question: is it worth it? I'm thinking I may want to get it and then redo the body (I'm thinking a transparent stain and clear, depending on the wood underneath). I'm on the fence over this one. It would be a fun project, but would I ever get my money back out of it?

Definately worth it!!!! Is it possible the original finish is under the rattlecan? I've seen that more than once, and the rattle can should come off way easier than the original finish.

• Members

Never heard that before. Both of mine were super dense swamp ash. Heavy as hell. Tons-o-sustain though. I heard somewhere that Fender created the Lead series essentially to empty out the parts bins at the Fullerton plant before they closed it - so it wouldn't surprise me if there was a huge variation in quality.

Interesting story, but almost certainly false since Fender came with the Lead series something like 5 years before CBS sold the company to the current ownership. They also put quite a bit of advertising effort into trying to sell the Leads, including the endorsement of Steve Morse, who used a Lead I and appeared in ads for it. Elliot Easton of the Cars had Fender make him a "Lead I and a Half," which was a Lead I with a single coil pickup in the neck along with the bridge humbucker.

• Members

mkay, just got back from the store. The neck was perfect. pots and switches and crackle on pop. a bit noisy (a bit of hum). no real fret wear and the tuners seemed pretty good. the hardware is a bit pitted but not bad for a 30 year old guitar. I ran it thru a Fender deluxe and I really dug the tone... about half way between a strat and tele.

I offered $200 for it and....

drum roll please...

He said yes. but I had to buy either a case or gig bag (I got a gig bag)

It's in the basement right now. I'm going on vacation tomorrow, I'll start the rebuild when I get back.

PS: this thing is heavier than my tele... but just a little bit heavier

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Welp, it's gone...

I got as far as pulling it apart and sorted out all the screws-n-stuff (I use those screw lid sippy cups for this). I took a small part of the body for a tester (to check out ehat was going to be the plan of attack on the refinish, and to see if it a plywood body). I sanded a 1" square on the heel of the guitar and it was solid wood. I was getting ready to run up to the music store to get the needed parts (pots, switches, caps... ) and a buddy of mine wanted to go with me. I called him and he stopped by so we could ride together. I showed him what I was up to and... well... He bought it off me. He gave me $275 for it (I kept the gig bag). We still went to the guitar store, but now it was him buying the parts.

Off to look for my next project

• Members

Man, he got one hell of a deal. If I weren't up to my ears in credit card debt (8 months of unemployment does that to you
:cry:
)
I'd
have bought it off you.

Well, he have been friends for 40 years. He was one of those guys who played the bar bands in his (mis-spent) youth. gave up playing when life interrupted him, and the took up playing again several years ago. He bought an acoustic but didn't own a proper electric (he eventually bought a used yamaha pacifica). He's been sitting in on our regualr jams, but had to use borrowed gear. Once he gets that thing done, he will only need to borrow an amp.

• Members

Well, he have been friends for 40 years. He was one of those guys who played the bar bands in his (mis-spent) youth. gave up playing when life interrupted him, and the took up playing again several years ago. He bought an acoustic but didn't own a proper electric (he eventually bought a used yamaha pacifica). He's been sitting in on our regualr jams, but had to use borrowed gear. Once he gets that thing done, he will only need to borrow an amp.

That's awfully good of you. :thu:

Archived