PRS - Compare the PRS Mira vs the PRS Custom 24

yell03

• Members

I have a situation where I have an opportunity to buy one or the other, but not both.

I play a lot of blues and hard rock.

I like Strat like cleans, but I also like Les Paul/SG type gain.

I want 24 frets.

Personally, I don't like trems, but I am also not crazy about the wrap around tailpiece of the Mira.

Currently, none of my guitars have a trem, Strat trems don't count.

What are your opinions on both guitars.

Which has nicer tone and playability.

I hate guitars with neck dive which I hear the Mira is prone to.

Thanks for your help

• Members

I have a Mira, and have played some CST 24s.

Both are different animals: think SG (Mira) and Les Paul DC (24 - except a 24-fret, tremmed, offset DC LP :facepalm:) for a simple comparison.

My Mira is very comfortable, lightweight (less than 8 lbs.), does not neck dive (which I think is a WAY overrated consideration anyway), and has amazing playability and can sound crystal-clear clean, or nice and dirty with lots of bite through some dirt. It is all stock.

The 24 is gonna be heavier, gonna be a bit fuller-sounding, and the trem, properly maintained, should be solid. Beyond that, I can't really say.

Depending on your budget, keep an eye out for used - some GCs are selling Miras in ex to mint condition for around 1K, and customs can be had for not a whole lot more. My Mira was a used 2008 top-of-the-line Maple Top model with the birds and the gold, and I got it in near-new condition for around $1500, and they were streeting new for $2300 :eek:

Either way you go, you will be darned happy. Good Luck! :thu:

• Members

I have a Mira, and have played some CST 24s.

Both are different animals: think SG (Mira) and Les Paul DC (24 - except a 24-fret, tremmed, offset DC LP
:facepalm:
) for a simple comparison.

My Mira is very comfortable, lightweight (less than 8 lbs.), does not neck dive (which I think is a WAY overrated consideration anyway), and has amazing playability and can sound crystal-clear clean, or nice and dirty with lots of bite through some dirt. It is all stock.

The 24 is gonna be heavier, gonna be a bit fuller-sounding, and the trem, properly maintained, should be solid. Beyond that, I can't really say.

Depending on your budget, keep an eye out for used - some GCs are selling Miras in ex to mint condition for around 1K, and customs can be had for not a whole lot more. My Mira was a used 2008 top-of-the-line Maple Top model with the birds and the gold, and I got it in near-new condition for around $1500, and they were streeting new for $2300
:eek:

Either way you go, you will be darned happy. Good Luck!
:thu:

Thanks....

I can buy a Brand New Mira with Moon inlays and wide thin neck for $1248 shipped to my door.

The Custom 24 I want is the Dave Navarro model, it is out of stock, but when it is available I should be able to grab it brand new for $1899.

• Members

I went to GC today and played two PRS Custom 24s, One PRS Custom 22, and one PRS Mira.

The Custom 22 and Mira were brand new.

The Custom 22 had a wide fat neck and the Mira had a wide thin neck I believe.

The one PRS was a 2005 20th anniversary with Dragon pick-ups and a wide fat neck and the other was a 2007 with the HFS pick-ups and a Regular neck.

My favorite by far was the 2007 Custom 24, then the 2005 Custom 24, then the Custom 22, and last was the Mira.

The Custom 24s were just so articulate and had such great pick attack and response.

The Custom 22 was great also, but the 2007 Custom 24 was better.

The Mira was a nice guitar, I could buy one for $1217, but I know it isn't what I want.

I ended up returning my American Standard Strat for $825, so I have $2400 between paypal and the return towards a new guitar.

I'll probably order a Custom 24 Navarro and see if I like the Wide/Thin neck.

If not, the search will be on for a used Custom 24 with a regular neck, but I am not willing to spend $2400 for a new one.

Archived