Need some urgent help about frets on my "new" guitar :(

dres_x

• Members

Hi guys, I need your opinion about a few things:

I just got a guitar that was listed as NOS...but it came with a whole sh*tload of damage...cracks and dings everywhere. I emailed the seller and he says it was a floor model for 12 years...:mad:

Anyway...I was trying to play it today and there is a ton of buzz I can't get rid of when I fret on the first fret. Seems that the 2nd fret is too high or I don't have enough relief. So first I tried to adjust the truss rod (to loosen) and it turns out that the truss rod was already fully loose! Loosening it only causes the nut to come off! Then I looked at the frets themselves and realized that they are REALLY flat! Can you guys please look at these pictures and tell me if Ibanez's "regular" size (that's what they call them) frets are supposed to be this flat?? Or if these have been worn down so much that there isn't much life left in them?

I checked my other guitars...and even compared to my Yamaha Pac112 which has medium frets, these frets look less than half as tall! :(

Should I return this guitar? Are the frets really worn down?

IMG_2623.jpg

IMG_2622.jpg

IMG_2621.jpg

IMG_2620.jpg

I can take more pics, just let me know what you need to see. Thanks!

• Members

If something has dings and scratches and beatings, it means one thing = Used.

His description (NOS) was patently false. It was just plain "old stock". He needs to give you either a refund, or at least a discount from what you paid.

• Members

there's buzzing in other places as well, but its not that much and can be fixed without much problem i think

but the 2nd fret is really messed up :/

i was really looking forward to getting this guit too :(

right now the seller has offered $100 back...but that's nowhere near enough to cover a fret replacement...i also grossly overpaid for this guitar because i was expecting it to be NOS when it is clearly well-used :/

• Members

yeah it was on ebay/paypal so im confident I can get my refund...still pisses me off though :(

when i tried to loosen the rod, it was already as loose as can be so no actual adjustments were made...there is not enough relief but no backbow

• Members

Fret material looks fine to me.

What kinda guitar is it? What size frets are they, and pic of the tops of the frets would let us know if they were worn better then a pic from the side.

its an '93 ibanez sf470...frets are listed as "medium" in their old catalogs. looking from the top there is some wear but no real grooves yet. The only thing is there is no code for the fretwire so I wouldnt really know what they were like originally...they just look really damn flat compared to everything else ive seen

• Members

its an '93 ibanez sf470...frets are listed as "medium" in their old catalogs. looking from the top there is some wear but no real grooves yet. The only thing is there is no code for the fretwire so I wouldnt really know what they were like originally...they just look really damn flat compared to everything else ive seen

Get the refund then or if you like, start negotiating a partial refund.

• Members

i have no idea where it was for those missing 5 years...its a nice guitar but i could get much better at this price...im thinking of just returning it and patiently wait for the next one that comes along but they're quite rare :/

• Members

Not as advertised ship it back. Dude can't get no money unitll you leave feedback. Keep some good photos of it showing the guitar then the fret ware.

Don't let the scamers screw people over.That's why ebay has gone to {censored}.

• Members

Dont even consider keeping it. I had one of those and the frets were pretty tall. They have to be worn down on yours. The seller has BS'ed you about the condition of that guitar and how much it was used.

yeah...its obvious from the body that its been quite used

damn :( guess its going back

• Members

yeah I'm pretty disappointed because it looks so cool with my S470 :/

IMG_2602-Copy.jpg

Here are the pics of the front/sides of the first few frets:

IMG_2630.jpg

IMG_2629.jpg

IMG_2628.jpg

IMG_2627.jpg

IMG_2626.jpg

IMG_2625.jpg

IMG_2624.jpg

Can't even play metal with it :p it buzzes so bad that you can hear it thru the amp with tons of distortion too lol

Archived