Buying a Epiphone Blues Custom 30 today

harpua6

• Members

anyone want to talk me out of it? i have been looking for a tube amp to replace my Vox VT15. It really came down to a peavey classic 30 with red witch speaker or this BC30. They were both $300. Which would you have chosen? I need a good loud clean and the ability to get that good tube breakup. ....and go.

• Members

cool man...i am picking it up tonight. I'll let you know how it sounds. For 300 bucks and the ability to switch between 15 and 30 watt it seemed like a no brainer. They get really good reviews on line.

• Members

where did you find one for 300? ill take it off your hands if you hate it:poke:

haha alright i will keep that in mind. i haven't ever played one but i was always intrigued by it. i saw it on craigslist for 350 and the guy had added casters to roll it and it still has all the tags on it. Apparently, he had several fender amps and just bought a blackstar for his home practice amp so he was motivated to move this one. yahtzee!

• Members

anyone want to talk me out of it? i have been looking for a tube amp to replace my Vox VT15. It really came down to a peavey classic 30 with red witch speaker or this BC30. They were both $300. Which would you have chosen? I need a good loud clean and the ability to get that good tube breakup. ....and go.

Change the tubes, do the mods, and it's a killer amp. I put all Tung-Sol re-issues in mine. 2-5881's and 5-12AX7's (with the phase inverter a balanced triode). Since I had an NOS Philips 5AR4 rectifier tube I put that in as well. Despite the fact that I have a box full of NOS tubes, the re-issue TS's sounded best.

For the mods, check out the Epiphone forums and do a search on The Gear Page for others (TDPRI as well). Try to find out which version you have because Epi made mods to that amp as the amp guru's identified and tested them.

I bought one of the first ones available, so I've been through the whole discussion and mods thing.

BTW: $300.00 is an excellent price for an amp that started new at $500.00.

• Members

That amp was by far the brightest thinnest amp i have ever played, i wouldnt recommend it at all.

damn really? everything i have heard on youtube and the reviews i read say the opposite. after looking on the epiphone forum there were some people that had some simple mods for the brightness but most believed that just adjusting the treble on the amp made a big difference. tell me more....i am picking it up in an hour!!

• Members

alright this thing rocks....i don't find it thin at all theAntiHero, but i haven't played any high end amps either. Good picking response, good low end, breaks up just right for what i need, and more clean headroom than i could ever need. So far, i love it.

• Members

alright this thing rocks....i don't find it thin at all theAntiHero, but i haven't played any high end amps either. Good picking response, good low end, breaks up just right for what i need, and more clean headroom than i could ever need. So far, i love it.

Glad it worked out for you. Now we need pics. You know the drill bud.

• Members

Outstanding. I messed around with one a bit but didn't get to turn it up. What I heard was good. Avril says HNAD!

Avril.jpg

EG

• Members

Sounds like you might have a later version with many of the mods already incorporated into it at the factory.

• Members

I got to play through one a few weeks ago. Hot damn, I loved it. Ran my XV thinline tele through it and it was BEEFY. Real nice bottom end and a nice break up. My regular amp is a Peavey Delta Blues 210. I got it used for $200, but if I looked at both of them next to each other for the same price, It'd be hard to pick one. I love love love the cleans of the PEavey, but the dirty channel does lack a bit (real nice when it starts to break up, and get a liiiiiiiittttle OD, but I don't really like it too much heavier than that.) The Epi I tried had a wonderful distortion.

Both are good amps, and for $300 you should be a happy camper with either.

Archived