polyurethane vs urethane finish

elsupermanny14

• Members

What are the differences between polyurethane and urethane finishes? I know that polyurethane comes on cheaper guitars and is more of like a plastic looking shell whereas urethans actually looks like paint on a guitar.

That's all I know or at least I think I know. I need some more education on this subject.

• Members

Same thing. Urethane is shorthand for polyurethane in guitar world, though technically urethane is ethyl carbamate..which you may find trace elements of in food and beverages...yum :p

Though there are infinite recipes mixes of polyurethane. And many cheaper builds now get polyester finishes.

But polyurethane is not just for cheap guitars. Polyurethane has be the de facto standard on Fenders since planned obsolesce took nitrocellulose and acrylic lacquers out of the main stream car finishing market in 1967. PRS used poly for everything until they introduced their nitro line a couple of years ago. G&L all poly. Several boutique makers still use poly. Polyurethane allows a higher gloss, better color retention and a more durable finish over nitrocellulose lacquer.

Poly can be sprayed thin like nitro and being a plastic, it is porous and does "breathe." But guitar companies take advantage of the ability to quick, heavy spray guitars and buff them out.

• Members

So then what's the difference between the poly finish on an MIM Strat versus the one on an MIA Strat? Is just the thickness and amount they spray on it?

Depending on model, there isn't any difference besides who sprays it and where. The polyurethane is the same and the finish quality may be too.

I think some lower end Mexican models use polyester, I would confirm this but Fender's new website is being so slow it's useless.

Archived