X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has built a Warmoth guitar?

I have been thinking about this more and more...

If you buy a body and neck, do they drill the holes in the neck to attach it to the body? What are the typical things you have to do to put it all together? I guess let me say things that arent typically expected like installing hardware, finish, etc...

How did you finish it? I know the rub on oils like tung oil are pretty popular. I think a nice dark stain and oil would look pretty good.

I am just thinking about this, so I am trying to get a good idea of what to expect beyond receiving a box of parts, and going from there...
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><br />
    Mesa Triple Recto<br />
    Marshall 2203 Clone<br />
    Axe-FX/POD HD500<br />
    </font></div>

I've only purchased a neck, but the holes were pre-drilled. If I remember correctly, they charge extra for NOT drilling the holes.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">We made all the hotspots, my money flowed like wine<br />
    And then that low-down southern whiskey, began to fog my mind</div>

Comment

I built one a few years back, before they drilled neck holes. It wasn't very hard to do, but it is a little more involved than just bolting the neck on the body. Little things like tuner hole reaming, ferrule installation, and nut work take a lot more time and 'fine' work than I expected. It was a fun project, and I was able to do all of it, just not as fast as I had planned. Measure twice, drill/cut once.

I bought a finished neck and body, so I didn't deal with the painting stuff.

Comment

I also should add that the setup after assembly is a large piece of work...as everything is off. Bridge height, action, truss rod, intonation, etc. Everything will be WAY outside of spec, more so than on any guitar you have probably ever played in your life.

Comment

Go check out the Warmoth Forum. Great info there.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com

Scott
          <div class="signaturecontainer">Good Transactions with: Badone07, Crunchtime, Dbrettw, Geekocaster, Teleman, Tienlo, SLY_Z_28, Smorgdonkey</div>

Comment

Wish they made a wheel truss rod or one at the headstock.

The pro doesn't count cause that side thing is for small adjustments and it gets in the way of a fender contoured heel.
            <div class="signaturecontainer">Fender American Special Mahogany Stratocaster.<br><br>Fender American Series FSR Chambered Mahogany Telelcaster.<br>warmoth strat Floyd<br><br><br><br><br><br>Crate V30 head<br><br>Avatar cab.<br><br>Bad Monkey.<br><br>Ibanez WH10 wah.<br><br>Line 6 Podxt3.<br><br><br><br>Right Wing Forum Guard.</div>

Comment

I love my Warmoth. It's a bit over the top, but it really is a great guitar. White korina, quilted maple top, ebony fretboard, Lindy Fralin pups.

I honestly don't play it too often, but it's a really nice guitar.

I also have a Warmoth scalloped neck that I really like. They make excellent, high-quality stuff...

Kramer Pacer with Warmoth scalloped neck:

Comment

I love my parts-o-caster - it has a Warmoth neck. It wasn't great until I got it setup by a real tech though. Also, in hindsight I got lucky with the neck pocket, and the overall balance of the guitar. I can see how the pocket could have been sloppy, or that the guitar could have been neck-heavy.

One tip I read that paid off was looking for in-stock necks with problems. Mine is a factory second with a couple of nicks in it - I saved like $200 off what it would have cost if I had ordered a neck with the same options.
                <a href="http://readgain.com/random">New stuff every day on Gain!</a>

Comment

One tip I read that paid off was looking for in-stock necks with problems. Mine is a factory second with a couple of nicks in it - I saved like $200 off what it would have cost if I had ordered a neck with the same options.

That's a great tip. Thanks!

Lovely guitar btw. :thu: What is the body from?
                  Listen...

Comment

I can recommend KNE bodies. http://kneguitars.com/
                    Mitch out in Calf. does good work for a fair price. Any type of routs, drilled holes, configuration, woods, and he'll do all you ask for about $115 to your door. Clean work.

I bought a USA spaced steal trem from GFS and it is really a nice trem for little money. Plus of a handful of other hardware, all for around $100.

Got my neck from Warmonth, $250 shipped. Stainless steal frets, compound radius neck, custom profile.

If you can do the finish on the neck and body you will save a good chunk of change. I'm doing it in tung oil, but guys are having very good results with spray cans, elbow grease, and a good dose of patience too.

If you have learned what it is you like on a guitar, it's a great way to go.

Comment

Yes, Warmoth drills neck holes and all the others holes you ask (bridge, controls, etc).
                      They can also install bridge studs and nuts (both locking and not).
                      They won't install the hardware (bridge, ferrules, tuning machines) and they won't install the electronics (pick up, switches, wiring, etc...).
                      They can sell both finished and unfinished bodies and necks: the finished ones cost much more.
                      Finishing a neck with oil or shellac is quite easy and the result can be really good (I love my shellac finished necks), but Warmoth's warranty is not valid with this kind of finishes (but...who cares after all...there are plenty of oil finished necks that don't warp).
                      Finishing a body with a sealer can be a bit harder and the result will be really different from a classic solid and glossy "factory" finish (not necessarily worst, but surely different).
                      Assembling the guitar is not that hard, but you have got to have a bit of experience.
                      I've assembled my warmoths by my own, but then I took them to a luthier for nut set up and fretboard leveling.
                      About the electronics...I had a friend helping me and he had also all the spare electronics parts I forgot to order to warmoth !
                      <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">Guitars:<br />
                      Jackson RR1-Jackson SLS-Jackson KV2T-Jackson SL1<br />
                      Jackson DK1 (w/duncans)-Jackson Phil Collen pro<br />
                      Jackson Roswell Rhoads (Japan)-Charvel 650 <br />
                      Gibson LP custom ('95)-Gibson LP standard ('93)<br />
                      Gibson SG special-Fernandes Super Grade (w/EMG)<br />
                      Fender American Standard-Dean Razorback USA<br />
                      Warmoth telecaster<br />
                      <br />
                      Amps:<br />
                      Framus Cobra-Mesa Mark III-Marshall JMP 2203<br />
                      ENGL Savage special edition E660-Mesa Quad preamp<br />
                      Mesa 395 power amp-Marshall Jcm 800 heavily modded</font></div>

Comment

Yes, Warmoth drills neck holes and all the others holes you ask (bridge, controls, etc).
                        They can also install bridge studs and nuts (both locking and not).
                        They won't install the hardware (bridge, ferrules, tuning machines) and they won't install the electronics (pick up, switches, wiring, etc...).
                        They can sell both finished and unfinished bodies and necks: the finished ones cost much more.
                        Finishing a neck with oil or shellac is quite easy and the result can be really good (I love my shellac finished necks), but Warmoth's warranty is not valid with this kind of finishes (but...who cares after all...there are plenty of oil finished necks that don't warp).
                        Finishing a body with a sealer can be a bit harder and the result will be really different from a classic solid and glossy "factory" finish (not necessarily worst, but surely different).
                        Assembling the guitar is not that hard, but you have got to have a bit of experience.
                        I've assembled my warmoths by my own, but then I took them to a luthier for nut set up and fretboard leveling.
                        About the electronics...I had a friend helping me and he had also all the spare electronics parts I forgot to order to warmoth !

Actually Tru-oil does conform with Warmoths warranty.

Comment

I don't mind the electronics, drilling smaller holes, etc....

Its the neck holes, bridge studs, etc... the things that could make the whole guitar useless.

I think the nut is the only thing I am not really experienced at. I don't mess with painting :cop: I have a bad karma with that, lol.

So, they drill the neck holes in the neck and body?
                          <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><br />
                          Mesa Triple Recto<br />
                          Marshall 2203 Clone<br />
                          Axe-FX/POD HD500<br />
                          </font></div>

Comment

I don't mind the electronics, drilling smaller holes, etc....

Its the neck holes, bridge studs, etc... the things that could make the whole guitar useless.

I think the nut is the only thing I am not really experienced at. I don't mess with painting :cop: I have a bad karma with that, lol.

So, they drill the neck holes in the neck and body?

Yeah, the 3 Warmoths I have built I used necks and bodies from warmoth and they were all pre-drilled and fit perfectly. The bridge holes are also pre-drilled and were dead on.

Comment

One thing that should be mentioned here.......by the time you buy a body and neck, and then all the hardware and electronics.....you'll most likely have as much invested already as if you'd bought a true custom made instrument. And that won't include any of your time and labor. So if it's a custom instrument that you're after and you're not "hell-bent" on finishing and assembling it yourself, it's probably to your benefit just to buy a custom instrument from a good custom builder. I normally wind up with at least 60 or 70 hours in one of my complete custom builds and that's not including setup time. A good setup job alone will require 6-8 hours or more. I have a couple of my customs posted here this week......both are telecaster versions. Check them out if you're interested.
                              http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2590475
                              http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2590464
                              <div class="signaturecontainer">Never chase busses or women...you always get left behind.&quot;<br />
                              <br />
                              Please Visit - Pebblebrook Custom Guitars: <a href="http://www.pebblebrookcustomguitars.com/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.pebblebrookcustomguitars.com/index.html</a><br />
                              <br />
                              <u>Good Deals with:</u><br />
                              <br />
                              Dixie 10-8, Teleman, squeally dan, Cry Of Love, funbnme</div>

Comment

Working...
                              X