What's a good blues humbucker set?

jr_vw2

• Members

Recomend a good set (neck&bridge) of Les Paul style humbuckers for a soli mahagony body guitar for playing the blues

I'm a total metal head but I have been digging on some blues here latley. So I know little to nothing as far as finding the tone goes. Thanks

• Members

Seth Lovers would probably be my first choice. The 57 Classics are a bit brighter and have more output and I'd call them more versatile, but if you'll be playing clean to low gain, I'd lean towards the Seth Lovers.

The Dimarzio Bluesbuckers are interesting as well. Sort of a P90 meets a humbucker vibe going on.

• Members

Recomend a good set (neck&bridge) of Les Paul style humbuckers for a soli mahagony body guitar for playing the blues

I'm a total metal head but I have been digging on some blues here latley. So I know little to nothing as far as finding the tone goes. Thanks

I swear by my Duncan A2P set :love:

My briother has a Duncan '95 set in his LP, and it sounds pretty sweet too, but the A2P set does it for me !

• Members

Rio Grande Geniune Texas and BBQ Bucker

Those are gorgeous pickups (I have them in my Carvin) but they may be a bit hot for blues, especially the BBQ.

- Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro

- Seth Lover

- Gibson 57 Classic

Oh yeah, and another +1 for BG pickups. :thu:

• Members

Duncan Alnico II Pro. Seriously, check them out. I have them on an LTD PB500 and they are the most articulate 'buckers I have ever played. They are nice and fat clean and take to dirt nicely. They even do higher gain stuff well. To me, these and the PAF pickups are the two best Blues 'buckers out there.

I have a set of Duncan JB/59 that sounds really nice. The JB works great for Blues, but it tends to be quite bright. It can be adjusted via the screw heads, though. The '59 is an awesome pickup.

• Members

How do you guys think these would do for a budget build?

Thanks

Those are priced too high for me to even consider. I have a set of those (black open coil, pickups only - no pots or switch) I've had listed for $15 for a couple months and no one has even made an offer on them. They aren't horrible, but I personally would never consider actually buying them to install into a guitar. About the cheapest I'd go would be to look for a used set of GFS Fat PATs. I have bought used Crunchy PATs for $25 shipped (for the pair), Fat PATS for about $30 for the pair and GFS Alnico IIs for $40 shipped for the pair. All these are a considerable step forward from the Epi pickups.

Archived