Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good blues humbucker set?

Recomend a good set (neck&bridge) of Les Paul style humbuckers for a soli mahagony body guitar for playing the blues

I'm a total metal head but I have been digging on some blues here latley. So I know little to nothing as far as finding the tone goes. Thanks
    That's what she said

anything PAF-ish to slightly hotrodded. Pearly Gates are good, as far as SDs. Most Gibsons, other than their ceramics ,are good to great. I'm sure Bryan has a couple killer models for those tones.
    tlbonehead@yahoo.com
    www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
    -For Sale:
    -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
    -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
    - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
    - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
    - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

As tlbone just said, any PAF-ish set, I use a custom BG set, 8.5k in the bridge and 8.2 in the neck with the Peter Green mod. Does blues perfect.
      Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded-Yogi Berra

Comment

As tlbone just said, any PAF-ish set, I use a custom BG set, 8.5k in the bridge and 8.2 in the neck with the Peter Green mod. Does blues perfect.
        I bet it does!
        tlbonehead@yahoo.com
        www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
        -For Sale:
        -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
        -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
        - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
        - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
        - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

Gibson 57 classics
          Duncan Seth Lover
          WCR Fillmore

Comment

Duncan 59's
            Duncan Pearly Gates
            Duncan Seth Lovers
            Gib 57's

Comment

Seth Lovers would probably be my first choice. The 57 Classics are a bit brighter and have more output and I'd call them more versatile, but if you'll be playing clean to low gain, I'd lean towards the Seth Lovers.

The Dimarzio Bluesbuckers are interesting as well. Sort of a P90 meets a humbucker vibe going on.
              Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius:

"When it comes to gear vs talent I'll be the first to admit that I sit in the Mayor's seat in Poserville."

Comment

Paf type in the bridge and either the Dimarzio Bluesbucker or Humbucker From Hell in the neck.

Comment

Recomend a good set (neck&bridge) of Les Paul style humbuckers for a soli mahagony body guitar for playing the blues

I'm a total metal head but I have been digging on some blues here latley. So I know little to nothing as far as finding the tone goes. Thanks

I swear by my Duncan A2P set

My briother has a Duncan '95 set in his LP, and it sounds pretty sweet too, but the A2P set does it for me !

Gibson SG Faded (w. SD A2P's)
                  60's Classic Series Tele (w. Bareknuckle Flatt '50s)
                  Ibanez Artcore AG75 (w. TV Jones TV-HT's)
                  Gibson LP Jr. Special (w. Phil X PX-100)
                  Tokai LS92 (w. SD WLH set)
                  Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh
                  1966 Bassman / Thunderverb 50 / block letter 5150 / Marshall Class5

Good deals with : Pepperduck, TylerDurden24, iualum, hangwire, friction, Dr.Picklebottom, dmbluesguy, Mr JinX , dhouser3 & The Riffer.

Comment

Rio Grande Geniune Texas and BBQ Bucker
                    Originally Posted by 7DeadlySynths

So Korg, Yamaha, Roland and all other protagonists. Round up some Americans and get them to name your stuff. You'd see a lot more CP33s around the place if it was called the Yamaha Annihilator.

So come on, in the next few years I wanna see a Korg Devestator, Roland Killer Whale, Novation Piledriver, Nord Cluster Bomb and a Yamaha Nuclear Holocost, in my rig instead of the nonsensical gibberish I currently have all over the back of my gear.

Comment

Duncan 59 set has always been good to me.

Really though any good quality set of PAF clones will do the job well.
                      Shane Dunn-Official Site- band updates, gear info, links

Neros Opening Act/When In Rome

Comment

Dream 180's
                        http://yhst-50206111187217.stores.yahoo.net/humbuckers.html

Comment

Rio Grande Geniune Texas and BBQ Bucker

Those are gorgeous pickups (I have them in my Carvin) but they may be a bit hot for blues, especially the BBQ.

- Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro
                          - Seth Lover
                          - Gibson 57 Classic

Oh yeah, and another +1 for BG pickups.
                          Originally Posted by Warren Buffett

“There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”

Member of the Hamer Squad

Founder of the Danelectro Horde

Third Cousin of The Orange-y Family

Good dealings with: GreatDane, Norcal_GIT_r (x2), solly, puckman, rydia is hot, 98 les paul, JerEvil

MY GUITARS

Comment

Lots of ways to go, but if it were me, I'd probably do either a BG Dark or Smokestack bridge with a Lizard neck.
                            http://www.bg-pups.com/hb.html
                            My Name is Tom Pettingill ... I build Hand Crafted Custom Lap Steel Guitars
                            http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/nn87/tompettingill

Comment

My "Green Lizard" set from BG also does blues perfect...
                              SPAM:

Custom Wired Strat Pickguard Assemblies - PM me to discuss specs & pricing

Good Trades: PunkKitty, mfergel, Norcal_GIT_r, Chuck1016, Elias Graves, hrcnsfan, ugameus, RosePickups, jelloman, Hookandcanman, Danocoustic

Comment

Working...
                              X