thunder100

• Members

Dear Harmony Central community

One question on Fenders Eric Clapton signatur models

it has blocked tremolo

As I rarely use mine on my Hwy1 I want to block too

a.)Could anybody of you give me the dimensions of the blocking wood piece

b.)which wood is it?

C.)Can I eventually get some photos how it is done?

Thanks a lot

Roland

• Members

The dimensions vary on where you want it blocked. Do you want your bridge on the body of the guitar? If so, tighten the trem claw first, then find something that fits. If not, find something fits in the front, and the back.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

So here's a question. If you're Eric Clapton and can afford to have two
thousand
guitars, why would you block your Strat tremolo instead of getting a fixed bridge Strat?

because you can.

and probably because to him it sounds or plays different.

• Members

I don't want to start an argument about it, so suffice it to say that LOTS of people think that the trem, with that big steel block and vibrating springs, makes a difference to the tone. EC also has always insisted on the classic bent/stamped steel saddles, never using the cast versions.

I can believe it. I always felt that flattening the Strat tremolo was in itself a massive improvement, so I can see how a fixed bridge wouldn't be the same.

EJ sounds a bit off the deep end, but I guess you're allowed to be when you sound like he does.

• Members

EC also has always insisted on the classic bent/stamped steel saddles, never using the cast versions.

He is well-known as someone who sticks with what works for him, whether its guitars, shoes, restaurants, cars, cycles, fishing rods or whatever. I guess most of us are eventually the same under all this GAS.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

The reason clapton has a blocked bridge is because he prefers the sound of a hardtail strat. Also where the tremillo springs go on his strat he has a 9v battery mounted there to power the pre amp boost and active pickups in his guitar. I know becaust i did all of the to a custom guitar i built. enjoy

• Members

I hardtailed my MIM Strat, but had loosened the claw so that the springs were held in place with little tension. Then I blocked the remaining cavity:

mimstratmodblock.jpg

The bridge now sits flush with the body, and no more floating trem, but was this the wrong method for this mod? :confused:

/hijack

• Members

Also where the tremillo springs go on his strat he has a 9v battery mounted there to power the pre amp boost and active pickups in his guitar. I know becaust i did all of the to a custom guitar i built. enjoy

I've got some news for ya - the trem springs are still in there on Clapton strats: there is simply a cut-out for the battery (and a custom trem cover with a moved hole to compensate) :cop:

Here is a picture I just took of the actual trem cavity of my actual Clapton strat. This is completely stock, exactly how it came from the factory 21 years ago. I've opened it maybe three times in the last decade to change the battery; that's it. This should answer your questions. FYI, the block is about 1 3/8 of an inch in width, 3/8 of an inch tall, and 2 1/4 long.

claptoninnards.jpg

• Members

So here's a question. If you're Eric Clapton and can afford to have two
thousand
guitars, why would you block your Strat tremolo instead of getting a fixed bridge Strat?

The trem springs and the trem's limited connection to the body dampen the attack on the note, they add a noticeable sag when the note is picked. And the springs add an almost reverb quality to the tone (whihc is what EC mentions when asked about it). A hardtail has a much more aggressive attack on the note, it's a big step closer to a Tele in that regard.

• Members

On one of my old Strats I just tightened everything down hard; bridge pivot screws, trem claw screws-until the bridge was flat tight against the body. No need for wood blocks and I didn't notice a significant change in tone, certainly nothing that couldn't be fixed with a little eq.

The guitar definitely felt different, less tight and more fluid bends.

Archived