Rotary switch wiring diagram....

cichra

• Members

Hi everyone. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to guitar wiring and hoping I can get some help here.

I'm building my first parts guitar (Warmoth parts) and have planned the following wiring arrangement:

Neck: P90

Middle: Fralin Strat pickup, reverse wound as it would be if it were in a Strat,

Bridge: Humbucker

Controls: one volume, one tone, push/pull on the volume to split the humbucker.

Switch: five position, four pole rotary, which I want to function basically like a strat switch:

P1: Neck P90

P2: Neck P90, middle strat pickup

P3: Middle strat pickup

P4: Middle strat pickup and Bridge Humbucker (which may or may not be split by the push/pull)

P5: Bridge Humbucker (which may or may not be split by the push/pull).

The only reason I'm using a rotary switch is that for some reason Warmoth wouldn't cut the hole for a regular strat 5-position switch in the body I ordered (a V body).

This is the first time I've ever worked with a 5-position, 4-pole rotary switch, and this is where I need some help. Would someone be willing to take a look at the attached wiring diagram and see if I've planned this correctly?

wiringmain.jpg

As I understand it, the 5 position rotary has two poles on each of its two "layers." Since a regular strat switch only has two poles, I only need to use one of the two layers of the switch, right?

So at the moment I have each of the pickups connected to positions 1, 3, and 5 on one of the poles. But unlike a Strat switch, the 5 position rotary doesn't mechanically switch to a position which connects terminals 1 and 3 (neck and middle) or 3 and 5 (middle and bridge). So I have to connect position 2 on the OTHER pole to positions 1 and 3 on my first pole. Likewise, I have to connect position 4 on the OTHER pole to positions 3 and 5 on my first pole. Right?

Also, can I ground the P90 to the shielding foil in my wiring cavity like I've planned? Do I have to connect a ground wire from the foil to the bridge for this to work properly?

Is this going to work the way I have it planned? Any other suggestions/improvements?

Thanks to any who might be able to help. Sorry for the noob quality of my diagram. As you might notice, I've stolen many of the graphics from Seymour Duncan and Stew Mac diagrams.

• Members

...first off...

...the strat 5 ay switch is technically called a 5 position 2 pole switch as u have rightly pointed out

...you dont need to purchase a 5 way 4 pole rotary unless you wish to do additional series type wiring combinations

...there are 5 way 2 pole rotary switches equivalent to strat wiper swtich

...actually as you have drawn it...the rotary as shown on yer diagram IS a 5 way 2 pole! :D

...they are also much cheaper than the 4 pole version (those typically used by prs)

...and yes ...i reckon your wiring diagram will be ok ...a multimeter with continuity check will also help verify your arrangement

• Members

Do I have to connect a ground wire from the foil to the bridge for this to work properly?

Yes. Use star wiring so that each thing has a ground to a common ground like the pot backs. Put your grounds on hard parts, not foil.

• Members

yikes. You have all the pups connected together, all the time.

remove orange 3 to blue 4

remove orange 5 to blue 4

remove orange 3 to blue 2

Put the p90 to orange 1 &2

Put the HB to orange 4 & 5

Put the middle pup to blue 2, 3, 4

Yes. Use star wiring so that each thing has a ground to a common ground like the pot backs. Put your grounds on hard parts, not foil.

I got one that I am about to wire (rotary), I know who I am gonna PM:wave:

Archived