Guys who change guitars after every song

Toto99

• Members

I really can't stand people who change guitars more than twice during a set. I can understand wanting a different tone for certain songs, or perhaps some songs use a different tuning, but I've seen guys with a rack of 10+ guitars for a 45 minute set and it's just ridiculous. There are certain famous blues guitarists who are guilty of this.

Who actually needs that many guitars? How much of it is necessity and how much of it is posturing / showing off?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Totally agree! Its just annoying and I don't think your standard audience is going to notice the same changes other guitar players notice. I guess to each his own but I agree it is annoying. There are times when I think it is necessary such as different tunings or 12 strings, but sometimes you'll see a guy switch from a blue strat to a red strat and its like wtf?

• Members

Who actually needs that many guitars? How much of it is necessity and how much of it is posturing / showing off?

After going to see Mark Knopfler a couple of years ago, I have to say that if I had a (guitar) rack like that, I'd take every opportunity to show it off and rub it in everybody's face, too. :poke:

• Members

This kind of thing really is about the guitarist displaying his collection. Disguised under whatever made up bull{censored} "reason". lol

I have no idea whether or not this is a factor (I know very little about tax codes), but if you're a pro who uses them in a show could it also be to get tax write-offs for the guitars? :confused:

• Members

Yngwie does that a lot.

Funny thing is, he trades it for an exact copy of the one he just handed the guitar tech.

I think he just likes to be angry at the guitar tech. Man, I wouldn't want that job!

He might be one of those guys who always has to play on brand new strings. Ridiculous, in my opinion, but then what isn't about Yngwie?

• Members

Perhaps there's something else going on here: A lot of these guys are touring 250+ days a year. When they're touring, perhaps the only chance they get to really play is when they are actually performing, and perhaps they enjoy their collection. So, they change guitars every few songs, and with each guitar it's like they're meeting an old friend. These folks don't have the luxury we do of sitting around our room, grabbing a guitar, going to have a drink, coming back and grabbing another one, etc. They have to enjoy their collection while it's out on the stage, because when they're not, they're sitting in cases on a truck...

In other words: Stop being worried about what someone else is doing. When you are sufficiently famous and have enough fans to want to pay to hear you play in cities around the world, you can tour with one guitar with three strings, for all I care. Until then, I don't think it's really too cool to be ripping on these guys...

• Members

Yngwie does that a lot.

Funny thing is, he trades it for an exact copy of the one he just handed the guitar tech.

Strangely, I don't mind as much when Yngwie does it. Reason being, Yngwie is not the singer, so the lead singer can keep the audience entertained on the mic while Yngwie is being a prima donna and shouting at his guitar tech. Thus the flow of the concert is not broken.

It gets me more when it's a lead singer / guitarist, because regardless of how smooth the roadie or singer swaps the guitars over, it still breaks up the flow of the concert. I also don't like seeing roadies on stage during a show, it's unprofessional. Fair enough if they need to sort something like a fallen mic stand, but otherwise GTFO the stage!

• Members
Trail of Dead change guitars almost too much, and its multiple members of the band each song too. They use a bunch of odd tunings and they have a ton of awesome instruments plus their shows are phenomenal, but I was a little distracted by the hardly concealed guitar tech working on the next song's guitar during a show at a small venue.

• Members

I really can't stand people who change guitars more than twice during a set. I can understand wanting a different tone for certain songs, or perhaps some songs use a different tuning, but I've seen guys with a rack of 10+ guitars for a 45 minute set and it's just ridiculous. There are certain famous blues guitarists who are guilty of this.

You hear that Tom Petty and Mike Campbell?... Pick one and stick with it!

Archived