Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guys who change guitars after every song

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A long time ago I used to drag out 6 guitars a show, but we were headlining and playing 2 hours shows.

The reason I did it was for different tunings, one was setup for slide, that kind of thing.

But nowadays I just stick to 2 guitars one in drop D the other in Standard E.

It gets to be a pain carrying that much crap on the road.
    Shane Dunn-Official Site- band updates, gear info, links

Neros Opening Act/When In Rome

Comment

A long time ago I used to drag out 6 guitars a show, but we were headlining and playing 2 hours shows.

The reason I did it was for different tunings, one was setup for slide, that kind of thing.

Agreed. I don't play out often, but when I do it's not a question of how many guitars I can show off. It's a question of how many guitars I can keep an eye on.

Comment

if the music is good i'm happy

Comment

The majority of the time it's for different tunings. I'm surprised it took this long to be posted.

"These riffs were built to last a life time". Keith Richards

"All the women in the world want a phony rock star who plays guitar". John Cougar Mellencamp

"
          If you're listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you're a bigger moron than they are." Alice Cooper

Comment

Don't even get me started on ridiculous walls of amps. Here's a photo of Slayer's live setup. This is the backline for a guitarist (Kerry King) who doesn't even know how to play guitar!!! He thinks sloppy chromatic scales and divebombing the whammy in the wrong key = solo.

They're for show. They're not real

Comment

I got a chance to meet/hang out with Rick Neilson last summer, he had 60 guitars on the road with him. He gave us the tour of his guitars and I have to say that he had some great stuff on the road with him. here's a pic of the assortment he had for that nights performance, they played for about 45 minutes and he used them all. Some iconic stuff in there, 1978 checkerboard Hamer FTW!
              Good deals with Uberthall.

Excellence is achieved by the mastering of fundamentals. - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Guitars are awesome. This thread idea, not so much.

Comment

I take three to shows. Main, backup for main, and one for alt tuning. That said, I don't give a flying **************** if somebody buys out a Guitar Center and brings 'em on stage. In fact, I like the eye candy! The more, the better!

Comment

Most of those are just shells. I know this for fact!

Only 2 are mic'd lol. Kinda gives it away doesn't it?!?
                    Information is not knowledge
                    Knowledge is not wisdom
                    Wisdom is not truth
                    Truth is not beauty
                    Beauty is not love
                    Love is not music.
                    Music Is The Best.

- Frank Zappa

Comment

I don't really care if someone else does it. For me I don't like changing guitars during sets. Makes sense since most of my bands have tended to be somewhat artsy and think in terms of the flow of the set instead of focusing on individual songs. Changing guitars would eff up the flow.
                      Information is not knowledge
                      Knowledge is not wisdom
                      Wisdom is not truth
                      Truth is not beauty
                      Beauty is not love
                      Love is not music.
                      Music Is The Best.

- Frank Zappa

Comment

I don't mind.
                        But then again I sympathize because I have 35 or so guitars...
                        Originally Posted by Frets99

All guitars cost $300.
                        What you pay depends on the headstock.

Comment

Wilco did this when I saw them on Monday. They always did it quickly and it never messed up the flow, but Nels had a few different guitars and Jeff changed between EVERY song.

On Jeff's end there were five or six different SGs, three Teles and a Jazzmaster plus a bunch of acoustics. The two SGs he used the most were identical, so all I can think of is that they either had different guts or whenever he uses a capo (often) he has his tech tune the guitar with the capo on before bringing it onstage instead of just tossing a capo on his main guitar. Hey, if you've got the budget...
                          http://spaceexpert.bandcamp.com
                          http://rainandfarewell.bandcamp.com

Comment

I got a chance to meet/hang out with Rick Neilson last summer, he had 60 guitars on the road with him. He gave us the tour of his guitars and I have to say that he had some great stuff on the road with him. here's a pic of the assortment he had for that nights performance, they played for about 45 minutes and he used them all. Some iconic stuff in there, 1978 checkerboard Hamer FTW!

Is it a photo of Paul McCartney on that first guitar from the left?

Comment

The majority of the time it's for different tunings. I'm surprised it took this long to be posted.

The majority of the time its because the band is being paid or comp'ed to play certain guitars by the manufacturer through promo deals.

I'm surprised it took 4 pages for this to be posted.
                              Good Day. I said Good Day!

Comment

all I can think of is that they either had different guts or whenever he uses a capo (often) he has his tech tune the guitar with the capo on before bringing it onstage instead of just tossing a capo on his main guitar. Hey, if you've got the budget...

Slapping a capo on your guitar often pulls your strings sharp so I can understand why Jeff Tweedy would get someone else to check his tunings while he continues with the show.

It's one of my pet peeves when a singer/songwriter slaps a capo on their guitar and starts playing without checking whether the damn thing is in tune.

If I slap on a capo, I always check the tuning with a pedal tuner and make some comment like, "We tune because we care." It usually gets a laugh.
                                Originally Posted by Warren Buffett

“There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”

Member of the Hamer Squad

Founder of the Danelectro Horde

Third Cousin of The Orange-y Family

Good dealings with: GreatDane, Norcal_GIT_r (x2), solly, puckman, rydia is hot, 98 les paul, JerEvil

MY GUITARS

Comment

Working...
                                X