Peavey Reactor Tele?

• Members

What's the scoop on these?

Comparable to an MIM?

Saw one just like this in a local shop for around $150.00

Said Made is USA on the headstock.

Neck felt nice, but it was heavy.

Didnt have time to plug it in on my lunch break.

Pickups any good?

Whats the body made of?

100_0198.jpg

• Members

I have two "Guitar Buyers Guides" from that era and both of them cite it as having a "poplar" body.

I own one myself.

The only real downside on them is super cheapo tuners, which were more common back then on entry priced guitars. Now even Squiers have pretty decent tuners. But the tuners are just a bit "chunky" making precision tuning just a hair challenging.

The pickups are actually "decent". I think they have a bit more life to them than some p'ups I've had on some of my MIJ Fenders. But for some extra "refinement" to the tone, some pickup upgrades may or may not be worthwhile depending upon what you want to make out of it. But the stock p'ups are a bit "edgy" which is kind of fun. I'd rather have "edgy" than anemic.

I paid a bit over $200 for mine new. They had a $299 MSRP, so for $150 I'd say you can't go wrong.

I keep waiting for the day these guitars become "collectible". So far it hasn't happened but for a MIA guitar, I still think they are a good buy. I bought the Peavey over the Squier since the Squier at that time was a top loader with a lam body instead of string-thru with a solid body as in the Peavey.

• Members

I have two "Guitar Buyers Guides" from that era and both of them cite it as having a "poplar" body.

I own one myself.

The only real downside on them is super cheapo tuners, which were more common back then on entry priced guitars. Now even Squiers have pretty decent tuners. But the tuners are just a bit "chunky" making precision tuning just a hair challenging.

The pickups are actually "decent". I think they have a bit more life to them than some p'ups I've had on some of my MIJ Fenders. But for some extra "refinement" to the tone, some pickup upgrades may or may not be worthwhile depending upon what you want to make out of it. But the stock p'ups are a bit "edgy" which is kind of fun. I'd rather have "edgy" than anemic.

I paid a bit over $200 for mine new. They had a $299 MSRP, so for $150 I'd say you can't go wrong.

I keep waiting for the day these guitars become "collectible". So far it hasn't happened but for a MIA guitar, I still think they are a good buy. I bought the Peavey over the Squier since the Squier at that time was a top loader with a lam body instead of string-thru with a solid body as in the Peavey.

The tuner issue is an easy fix. I put the Wilkinson vintage style from Guitar Fetish in my son's predator...

IMG_4481.jpg

IMG_4480.jpg

• Members

I've got some cool-ass black/chrome locking Sperzels I bought for mine. :thu:

Just haven't gotten around to putting them on yet. :confused:

I've also got some DiMarzios I'm going to install - someday :rolleyes:

The last little upgrade I've got planned is a black abalone guard. Since mine is black, I think it will be pretty skookum with all those upgrades.

Not that it needs them all, but it's a hobby-O-mine. ;)

• Members

The Reactor in the OP is mine. The pic was taken at work in the workshop. My son uses it now. They are more comfortable and have easier high fret access then a Tele.MIM Fenders are better made though. Not the body or neck,just the machine heads and electrics.They can be upgraded though and then a Reactor can play and sound as good as a USA Fender . Heres a pic of the Reactor with my MIJ 62 and ex 73 Tele's. 3kings.jpg

• Members

... The only real downside on them is super cheapo tuners, which were more common back then on entry priced guitars. Now even Squiers have pretty decent tuners. But the tuners are just a bit "chunky" making precision tuning just a hair challenging ... the stock p'ups are a bit "edgy" which is kind of fun. I'd rather have "edgy" than anemic...

I stiil have this Reactor, and used to have an Affinity Squier as well, but have since parted with it. All things considered, the Squier was probably an overall better guitar, since the "commodity parts" were actually better. The Reactor's electronics are also sketchy, though (as mentioned above) the pickups do have some character to them. Anyone with the time, skill, and inclination would probably replace the pots and wiring on this guitar, but I'm not particularly motivated to do so, since it's my least-played electric...

Reactor.jpg

• Members

Hm,

sounds like Id be paying mainly for a nice neck(good) and a heavy poplar body in a color thats not my fav(not so good, to me anyway) and marginal parts that Id prob want to upgrade.

$150 is not sounding so good now. Think Im gonna pass on it.

Thanks all.

Archived