5 way pick up selector

ashtray bridge stamped "fender"

single piece birds eye maple neck

its all stock!

whats this model called?

whats worth?

anybody wanna buy it? ;)

• Members

ahhh... the california "made in mexico" series?

baja california perhaps?

The wood was milled in Cali and shipped down to the Mexican factory for finishing. Just like the Standard series. At least that's the way it was in the 90's.

• Members

The wood was milled in Cali and shipped down to the Mexican factory for finishing. Just like the Standard series. At least that's the way it was in the 90's.

yes for the california series this is true, but this does not quite line up with that.

The California series began in 97, and this guitar is a 95. Not to mention

they California series had serial #s that marked them as being an American and Mexican joint venture, this one is clearly marked "made in Mexico"

beyond that, it certainly lines up spec wise. . .

• Members

yes for the california series this is true, but this does not quite line up with that.

The California series began in 97, and this guitar is a 95. Not to mention

they California series had serial #s that marked them as being an American and Mexican joint venture, this one is clearly marked "made in Mexico"

beyond that, it certainly lines up spec wise. . .

The California series is the only Mexican Tele they made at that time with a neck humbucker.

• Members

Yup, Tele Special:

Copy/paste from another forum:

Great guitar, IMO, and should be quite collectible in the coming years. To clarify, the 1994 MIM Telecaster Special is the predecessor of the Tex-Mex Telecaster Special. There are many similarities, but the Telecaster Special does not have Tex-Mex pickups, and it has an ash veneer with a semi-transparent finish on the front (for all colors). The back is opaque. The Tex-Mex Telecaster Special has a poplar body with opaque finish for all colors except the sunburst, which is ash veneered on the front and back. Thr Tex-Mex was not introduced until January 1997.

Edit: That guitar was never offered in daphne blue but everything else looks correct for a tele special.

• Members

def not a parts caster or refin.

as stated its all original. Ive taken it appart before, and own several other Fenders... so Im familiar with what they look like stock.

You've got a one of kind then. Everything you describe about it points to a telecaster special. Here are the specs:

Model Name: Tele

• Members

I doubt its a one off, very rare to see for a MIM.

dealer or trade sample at best, but not a custom one off per se

Im starting to think it was probably an exclusive color to a certain retailer, possibly GC (which still does stuff like this a lot)

In my travels I did find a vintage white one. Its the only other Ive seen.

• Members

nobody?
:confused:

skye.jpg

Does the color look more like this in real life?

If so, you have a Tex Mex Tele Special, which is what my guitar was before the neck warped (damn grandmother that turned the heat on and off in the basement, where I kept my guitars) and I swapped the bridge and bridge pickup.

Take a look at this PDF I got from Fender.

http://www.geargeek.net/guitarspecs/texmextelespecial.pdf

• Members

skye.jpg

Does the color look more like this in real life?

If so, you have a Tex Mex Tele Special, which is what my guitar was before the neck warped (damn grandmother that turned the heat on and off in the basement, where I kept my guitars) and I swapped the bridge and bridge pickup.

Take a look at this PDF I got from Fender.

http://www.geargeek.net/guitarspecs/texmextelespecial.pdf

yep, looks like that color (sonic blue??? I cant really tell em apart)

but I thought the tex mex special tele didnt come out til late 90s?

Once again, this is a 95

• Members

ah, the great one speaks!

So a Sam Ash exclusive then?

maybe?

yep, looks like that color (sonic blue??? I cant really tell em apart)

but I thought the tex mex special tele didnt come out til late 90s?

Once again, this is a 95

It may have a '95 serial number but could've been made in early '96. The Tex Mex Tele Special was only a model for half a year. It replaced the Tele Special and was then replaced by the California Tele Special in '97, but I'm pretty sure neither other model came in Sonic Blue, although it might be the earlier special.

Got any good pics of the headstock/serial number?

If I didn't just have a baby, I'd buy that off you. LOL

Archived