Best Knock-Off "Cheap" Les Pauls

scgmhawk

• Members

It's been awhile since I've been on this forum and I can't find the search...

My son is looking at maybe buying a Les Paul knockoff and someone told him about Stellar guitars. They are pretty cheap and I can't really find any information on them. Does anyone have any experience or know anything about this brand and the quality.

Or, any ideas on other cheaper Les Paul knock-offs. He has an Epiphone SG and I'm not impressed by the quality of that one.

Thanks a lot!

• Members

The one in my sig for sale is actually very, very nice. Better neck than the Epi and actually, with the maple cap it is technically "better woods" ! But the Epi has "tone" - I must confess. But really, it's far nicer than you would think for less than $200

• Members

He has an Epiphone SG and I'm not impressed by the quality of that one.

Don't judge all Epiphones by his current SG. Epiphone has sold several levels of quality in SG's as well as Les Paul's over the years. The low end is nothing exciting but the Standard line is nice stuff as is the G-400 SG.

• Members

Thanks for the quick responses. True, Sheraton, his current Epi was only a $299 guitar. They have a good rep so I shouldn't just judge by just 1.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I have heard good things about Agile and I actually have an Xaviere myself (strat copy).

If anyone has any other brands that we should check out, it's very much appreciated!

• Members

If you can still find them, the set neck DeArmonds (the Les Paul models start with M, the SG models with S, but both lines also include bolt-on models), The set neck ones have GoldTone pickups, which are excellent.

Of the current options, I like the Michae Kellys.

• Moderators

PRS Singlecut SE (any of um, Tremonti SE is especially nice).

All can be found, with effort, for under $500. Perhaps even less.

Very high quality budget guitars.

This is really the best answer.

The kid doesn't need a boat anchor Agile LPish, although I grant they suita some people, but I'm sure that maybe dsome of the other single cut Agiles would be ok, eg the Junior and Melody Maker types

• Members

Marc -- aka your friend and mine metalheadUK -- has about a zillion of 'em, as well as a couple of pukka Gibson LPs. We're both big fans of the Vintage Lemon Drop -- in fact, I'll be using mine alongside my Custom Shop Jeff Beck Strat at the Blast Furnace & The Heatwaves reunion gig on June 27.

• Moderators

Marc -- aka your friend and mine metalheadUK -- has about a zillion of 'em, as well as a couple of pukka Gibson LPs. We're both big fans of the Vintage Lemon Drop -- in fact, I'll be using mine alongside my Custom Shop Jeff Beck Strat at the Blast Furnace & The Heatwaves reunion gig on June 27.

Good advice in the Uk, but maybe not in NY, where the Vintage range is a premium priced product, but definitely among the best LP knockoffs in the UK, matter of fact I can't think of anything else at that price thats worth it

• Members

If you want to go really cheap...I got my son an sx callisto. (rondomusic.com) It has a bolt on neck and an alder body. It's decent but nothing to write home about. My son is 9 years old, so weight was an issue. The callisto is considerably lighter than an Agile. Decent LP copy for $139 or so. But it certainly isn't the real deal.

It's not that much more for the Agile AL2000 series which are mahogany and much more authentic. They are heavy, but pretty nice with set neck.

Then on up the scale, the more you pay the more you get with the Agiles.

• Members

What's your budget? I picked up a used Gibson Vintage Mahogany LP last week at GC super cheap. It was a low price to begin with, plus they let me use their 20% off coupon. Not the prettiest guitar, but its a great player and sounds excellent.

For reference, I own a couple Matsumoku (sp?) Electra LPs from the 70's and a Gibson LP Custom (my main axe). The Electras are great players, but they don't sound like the Gibsons. I even put Gibson pickups & electronics in one of the Electras, and it still sounds considerably "thinner" than the Gibsons (custom or VM). Maybe Agiles and Epis are better than the Electras, but I doubt it. The used VM I picked up last week cost me less than one Electra, but more than the other.

I'd say shop for a used Gibby. The same day I bought mine, I saw a flat-top Gibson LP Special SL (dual humbuckers, gloss finish, nice little axe) go for $350 on Craigslist with a HSC and amp.

• Members

I toured my epi lp studio. I've played tons of practices and shows with it, it has slowly worked its way under my fingernails and I just love it now.

Its a great weight, has nice sustain and unplugged tone. Nut needs upgrading, but that's a cheapie for ya. Its great for 350. Body has a nice carve, not uber thin like you might think.

My current #1.

• Members

If you want to go really cheap...I got my son an sx callisto. (rondomusic.com) It has a bolt on neck and an alder body. It's decent but nothing to write home about. My son is 9 years old, so weight was an issue. The callisto is considerably lighter than an Agile. Decent LP copy for $139 or so. But it certainly isn't the real deal.

It's not that much more for the Agile AL2000 series which are mahogany and much more authentic. They are heavy, but pretty nice with set neck.

Then on up the scale, the more you pay the more you get with the Agiles.

I thought those sx's were set necks...:confused:

Archived