Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Knock-Off "Cheap" Les Pauls

It's been awhile since I've been on this forum and I can't find the search...

My son is looking at maybe buying a Les Paul knockoff and someone told him about Stellar guitars. They are pretty cheap and I can't really find any information on them. Does anyone have any experience or know anything about this brand and the quality.

Or, any ideas on other cheaper Les Paul knock-offs. He has an Epiphone SG and I'm not impressed by the quality of that one.

Thanks a lot!
    - Steve

Guitars:Carvin BoltPlus-T, Xaviere XV870, Floyd Rose DST-3, Fender Acoustic
    Amps:Vox Valvetronix AD50VT 212, Behringer V-Amp 2

I would probably shoot for a used Epiphone LP Standard which can be found all the time in the 250-300 range...
    SPAM:

Custom Wired Strat Pickguard Assemblies - PM me to discuss specs & pricing

Good Trades: PunkKitty, mfergel, Norcal_GIT_r, Chuck1016, Elias Graves, hrcnsfan, ugameus, RosePickups, jelloman, Hookandcanman, Danocoustic

Comment

If you didn't like the Epi which is authorized by Gibson then most of the knock offs will be even less impressive.
      Shane Dunn-Official Site- band updates, gear info, links

Neros Opening Act/When In Rome

Comment

The one in my sig for sale is actually very, very nice. Better neck than the Epi and actually, with the maple cap it is technically "better woods" ! But the Epi has "tone" - I must confess. But really, it's far nicer than you would think for less than $200
        Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

Creativity is a Work Ethic

Comment

Michael Kelly. Not exactly the same body style but damn good guitars.
          Originally Posted by Used2BMarkoh

That's not my picture, you know - that's my avatar. I'm actually a transexual white lesbian from Kansas, but I like to dress up as an the only person more unusual than me - a conservative black man.

Comment

He has an Epiphone SG and I'm not impressed by the quality of that one.

Don't judge all Epiphones by his current SG. Epiphone has sold several levels of quality in SG's as well as Les Paul's over the years. The low end is nothing exciting but the Standard line is nice stuff as is the G-400 SG.

Comment

Agile, Micheal Kelly, Hagstrom.
              All have les paul ish guitars and are great quality.
              I am partial to Agiles myself.
              Originally Posted by Frets99

All guitars cost $300.
              What you pay depends on the headstock.

Comment

Agile 3000 or 3100.

Or, for $180 less, Xaviere XV-500.

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses. True, Sheraton, his current Epi was only a $299 guitar. They have a good rep so I shouldn't just judge by just 1.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I have heard good things about Agile and I actually have an Xaviere myself (strat copy).

If anyone has any other brands that we should check out, it's very much appreciated!
                  - Steve

Guitars:Carvin BoltPlus-T, Xaviere XV870, Floyd Rose DST-3, Fender Acoustic
                  Amps:Vox Valvetronix AD50VT 212, Behringer V-Amp 2

Comment

I used to have on older Sammick Artist Series (not the new Greg Bennet stuff) And it was WAY better quality than my Epi was. They can be had for under 2 bills as well.
                    That's what she said

Comment

If you can still find them, the set neck DeArmonds (the Les Paul models start with M, the SG models with S, but both lines also include bolt-on models), The set neck ones have GoldTone pickups, which are excellent.

Of the current options, I like the Michae Kellys.
                      Dexter fans, check out The DexterCast podcast on iTunes or www.thedextercast.com. Two hosts have seen Dexter, two are watching for the first time.

Comment

PRS Singlecut SE (any of um, Tremonti SE is especially nice).

All can be found, with effort, for under $500. Perhaps even less.

Very high quality budget guitars.
                        The Collection Thus Far:
                        2010 PRS 25th Anniv. Mira (USA)
                        2005 Limited Edition Antigua Stratocaster Reissue (CIJ)
                        2001 Martin DC-15E (USA)

Comment

Absolutely Agile. Get a 3000 or 3100 as the other poster suggested.

Comment

PRS Singlecut SE (any of um, Tremonti SE is especially nice).

All can be found, with effort, for under $500. Perhaps even less.

Very high quality budget guitars.

This is really the best answer.

The kid doesn't need a boat anchor Agile LPish, although I grant they suita some people, but I'm sure that maybe dsome of the other single cut Agiles would be ok, eg the Junior and Melody Maker types
                            Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

Marc -- aka your friend and mine metalheadUK -- has about a zillion of 'em, as well as a couple of pukka Gibson LPs. We're both big fans of the Vintage Lemon Drop -- in fact, I'll be using mine alongside my Custom Shop Jeff Beck Strat at the Blast Furnace & The Heatwaves reunion gig on June 27.
                              http://charlesshaarmurray.com/

Originally Posted by Spike

He's got his crust all stiff and upper with that nancy-boy accent. You Englishmen are all so ... bloody hell ... sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks ... oh no, I'm ENGLISH!

Originally Posted by Lucio

everyone has different gear and stuff like this tends to be quite subjective.

Originally Posted by Captain Jack Sparrow

Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness.

Honorary Granddaughter: FerdinandStrat

Comment

Working...
                              X