Strings and the action

brett567

• Members

Hey there, I just got a Fender Jazzmaster, and when I got it from the store, it had super low action with 9's on it. There was some buzz and slight fretting out, so I had it slightly adjusted. the action got a tad worse, but anyways today, I put 10's on it, and now it just doesnt feel right. I know that 10's are kind of the standard, but ive always liked the feel of 9;s so much more. How much does it affect tone with the gauge? and would my best bet be to put a really nice set of 9's on it and make sure the neck and saddle are set up right? thanks

• Members

I use nines on all my Strats and strat scale guitars. On shorter scale guitars I use tens.

Your problem could be one of a few things:

1. The neck is not properly bolted to the body. Check this first.

2. The action is just too low.

3. The neck is not properly adjusted. This can cause the problems you describe. Search YouTube and you'll get a ton of vids showing you how to do this. It's easy. Just make small adjustments - less is more.

• Members

go with whatever feels best to you. Tonal differences will be slight, and I think how it "feels" is a little more important than a slight tonal change.

Any half wit tech should be able to do a decent setup on it for you.

• Members

is it an AVRI Jazzmaster? Either put 11s on it or sell it. Those things were made for heavy flatwound strings, putting 9s on will be a PITA and you'll end up getting gibson hardware for it and all this other nonsense. Just sell it now.

Theres a store in England that has a sign that reads: we set up ANY guitars except Jazzmasters and Jaguars

• Members

is it an AVRI Jazzmaster? Either put 11s on it or sell it. Those things were made for heavy flatwound strings, putting 9s on will be a PITA and you'll end up getting gibson hardware for it and all this other nonsense. Just sell it now.

Theres a store in England that has a sign that reads: we set up ANY guitars except Jazzmasters and Jaguars

Im sorry, Not sure what AVRI stands for. something something reissue i assume. Its a Japanese Reissue. I love the guitar overall, I would definitely not sell it. But would 11's be good on it?

• Members

Im sorry, Not sure what AVRI stands for. something something reissue i assume. Its a Japanese Reissue. I love the guitar overall, I would definitely not sell it. But would 11's be good on it?

MIJ guitars came with the vintage bridge that presents the issues you're having. 11s will solve the issues, but they'll still feel like 11s.

• Members

MIJ guitars came with the vintage bridge that presents the issues you're having. 11s will solve the issues, but they'll still feel like 11s.

Will the action suffer? I know it will be likely stiffer but how about the action?? I would rather have slight buzz and 9's than have horrible action

• Members

I don't know if this has been addressed in the tread already, but putting 10s on a guitar that was set up with 9s will put much more pull on the neck and trem. Both will need to be reset for the pull of the new gauge strings.

I'd go back to 9s though if you like how those strings felt.

• Members

Will the action suffer? I know it will be likely stiffer but how about the action?? I would rather have slight buzz and 9's than have horrible action

Action, as in string height? You should be able to get it just as low, probably lower.

• Members

Bridge AND neck setup correct?

Everything will have to be reset, truss rod, intonation, bridge springs, saddle or bridge hight, and perhaps nut slots too if you go to 11s.

You have to do all of this anytime you switch gauge, with the exception of the nut slots.

• Members

Everything will have to be reset, truss rod, intonation, bridge springs, saddle or bridge hight, and perhaps nut slots too if you go to 11s.

You have to do all of this anytime you switch gauge, with the exception of the nut slots.

Well if I had to change the nut slots would it be worth it?? Id almsot wanna go back to 9's then

• Members

Which model of JM is yours? A Japanese 66ri? You can play with 9s, but you might need to change the neck angle with a shim, so that you can get more string pressure on the bridge saddles. If you don't have a Mustang bridge already, that might be a good upgrade. It also would be worth finding a *good* guitar tech to set it up for you.

• Members

Which model of JM is yours? A Japanese 66ri? You can play with 9s, but you might need to change the neck angle with a shim, so that you can get more string pressure on the bridge saddles. If you don't have a Mustang bridge already, that might be a good upgrade. It also would be worth finding a *good* guitar tech to set it up for you.

Well, would a buzz stop do anything? and how much do guitar set ups run??

• Members

Yes a buzz stop would help by increasing the break angle off the saddle. Some people love buzz stops and some people think they destroy the signature JM sound. They're about $30 and certainly worth a try.

The price of a setup depends on where you live. A good shop will evaluate your guitar and ive you an estimate. The most that you could pay (here in San Francisco) is $90.

Archived