Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strings and the action

Hey there, I just got a Fender Jazzmaster, and when I got it from the store, it had super low action with 9's on it. There was some buzz and slight fretting out, so I had it slightly adjusted. the action got a tad worse, but anyways today, I put 10's on it, and now it just doesnt feel right. I know that 10's are kind of the standard, but ive always liked the feel of 9;s so much more. How much does it affect tone with the gauge? and would my best bet be to put a really nice set of 9's on it and make sure the neck and saddle are set up right? thanks

bump

Comment

I put 9s on all of my electrics. In my opinion they sound better than 10s. As far as action goes I generally raise the bridge until the fret buzz goes away.

Comment

I use nines on all my Strats and strat scale guitars. On shorter scale guitars I use tens.

Your problem could be one of a few things:

1. The neck is not properly bolted to the body. Check this first.

2. The action is just too low.

3. The neck is not properly adjusted. This can cause the problems you describe. Search YouTube and you'll get a ton of vids showing you how to do this. It's easy. Just make small adjustments - less is more.
        ................The REAL Brah

Good trades/deals with: Fusion1, SOLARPIMP, Lonnie99, twotimingpete, Tupelo Sun, moon shadow, Florbastang, shooter 123, Wolfboy1, almost enough, meowy, ntmo, lovellintn, fulcrumpoint, matt rhoades, kojdogg, cadfael, Daveydude, DaveAronow, Smithshred

Comment

go with whatever feels best to you. Tonal differences will be slight, and I think how it "feels" is a little more important than a slight tonal change.

Any half wit tech should be able to do a decent setup on it for you.
          That's what she said

Comment

Jazzmasters are notorious for not getting along with light gauge strings - they just don't put enough pressure down on the vintage bridge. Standard-ish gauge for the traditional bridge is .011 or .012.
            I'm in a band called Little Sluggers. Signature.

Comment

Any half wit tech should be able to do a decent setup on it for you.

This is absolutely not true. You'd want it to be, but no. Not even close.
              Founding member of the HC Seven-String Syndicate
              Founding member of the HC Scalloped Squadron
              Washburn Sonic 7 > V847 > Tube King > Nano Stone > Fender Champ 600

Originally Posted by cratz2

Your shirt is the manliest shirt I've ever witnessed.
              And the fact that you haven't punched Cockbobbler Chickenguy in the naughty bits for making fun of it proves how much of a stud you truly are.

Comment

is it an AVRI Jazzmaster? Either put 11s on it or sell it. Those things were made for heavy flatwound strings, putting 9s on will be a PITA and you'll end up getting gibson hardware for it and all this other nonsense. Just sell it now.

Theres a store in England that has a sign that reads: we set up ANY guitars except Jazzmasters and Jaguars

stuff:
                52RI Tele
                Gibson SG 1970s Tribute
                more stuff:
                65 Twin Reverb Reissue
                Cox Tweed Deluxe Ultimate

The REAL Angry

Comment

is it an AVRI Jazzmaster? Either put 11s on it or sell it. Those things were made for heavy flatwound strings, putting 9s on will be a PITA and you'll end up getting gibson hardware for it and all this other nonsense. Just sell it now.

Theres a store in England that has a sign that reads: we set up ANY guitars except Jazzmasters and Jaguars

Im sorry, Not sure what AVRI stands for. something something reissue i assume. Its a Japanese Reissue. I love the guitar overall, I would definitely not sell it. But would 11's be good on it?

Comment

This is absolutely not true. You'd want it to be, but no. Not even close.

no it is true. It's finding a tech that is at least a half wit that's the problem oke:
                    That's what she said

Comment

no it is true. It's finding a tech that is at least a half wit that's the problem oke:

Founding member of the HC Seven-String Syndicate
                      Founding member of the HC Scalloped Squadron
                      Washburn Sonic 7 > V847 > Tube King > Nano Stone > Fender Champ 600

Originally Posted by cratz2

Your shirt is the manliest shirt I've ever witnessed.
                      And the fact that you haven't punched Cockbobbler Chickenguy in the naughty bits for making fun of it proves how much of a stud you truly are.

Comment

Im sorry, Not sure what AVRI stands for. something something reissue i assume. Its a Japanese Reissue. I love the guitar overall, I would definitely not sell it. But would 11's be good on it?

MIJ guitars came with the vintage bridge that presents the issues you're having. 11s will solve the issues, but they'll still feel like 11s.

Comment

MIJ guitars came with the vintage bridge that presents the issues you're having. 11s will solve the issues, but they'll still feel like 11s.

Will the action suffer? I know it will be likely stiffer but how about the action?? I would rather have slight buzz and 9's than have horrible action

Comment

I don't know if this has been addressed in the tread already, but putting 10s on a guitar that was set up with 9s will put much more pull on the neck and trem. Both will need to be reset for the pull of the new gauge strings.

I'd go back to 9s though if you like how those strings felt.

Comment

Will the action suffer? I know it will be likely stiffer but how about the action?? I would rather have slight buzz and 9's than have horrible action

Action, as in string height? You should be able to get it just as low, probably lower.

Comment

Working...
                              X