Do guitars have a resonant frequency?

docjeffrey

• Members

I have my 12 stringer plugged into my tuner just sitting on a stand and I'm watching TV. The tuner reads B. When I dampen the strings, no reading. Then when I let go, the tuner registers a B. So I'm thinking this semi has a resonant frequency of B.

• Members

They form really cool mode shapes at different frequencies too.

If I was at my lab station I would paste pretty pictures for you to see.

I found some stuff via google search.

http://paws.kettering.edu/~drussell/guitars/es-335.html

http://paws.kettering.edu/~drussell/guitars/explorer.html

The second link of the explorer actually notes a similar B-frequencied response. Nifty.

• Members

According to one of the links above, the Explorer

"Mode #5 - Torsional Mode (221 Hz)

This torsional mode has a very low Q (which means a broad peak in the frequency response function). The width of this peak and its closeness to the B3 string (247 Hz) could be a problem."

I don't know what that means, but it doesn't sound like Gibson built that guitar properly.

• Members

My IntelliTouch clip-on tuner defaults to B when there's too much extraneous vibration for it to be able to sense an individual string properly.

Funnily enough, my clip on tuner is an intelli touch too.

It does like G# for my coffee table though, water my speakers throw out/up.

• Members

Most of my tuners, regardless of guitar, will usually default to a Bb. That said, all of my guitars have a distinct resonant frequency; hit an A on my red custom, for example, and the thing practically shakes, it resonates so hard.

• Members

I dont think so... but the guitar making robots just might...

I think they try to avoid "deadspots" from resonances, by selecting builds that do not have major issues with some notes.

There are papers around on this.

• Members

My IntelliTouch clip-on tuner defaults to B when there's too much extraneous vibration for it to be able to sense an individual string properly.

My crappy little Korg does the same thing. Doesn't seem to negatively effect tuning operation. I always assumed it was a electronics phenomenon or the tuner losing it's mind a bit trying to latch onto a note.

• Members

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but, do luthiers take advantage or tune certain instruments to specific frequencies.

Sure they do. So do guitarists. Guitarists like Santana, Hendrix, and others used sympathetic vibration to sustain notes. Depending on the angle the speakers strike the neck or body, and the frequencies dialed in, you can get all kinds of notes to sustain. The vibrating body causes the strings to vibrate.

Theres also been many accidental resonances recorded by artists. There was a beatles hit tune I Feel Fine. McCartneys bass note caused John's semi acoustic guitar to resonate when recorded.

Sone of the earliest resonant feedback guitar recordings were done by Robert Ashley in the 60s.

http://www.lovely.com/titles/cdalgamarghen2.html

The beatles were likely second followed by all kinds of artists as guitars got loud enough, and things like fuzz were added that enhanced the effect.

• Members

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but, do luthiers take advantage or tune certain instruments to specific frequencies.

I think it's probably fruitless to try and do it on electrics, at least in my opinion. Acoustics are a different story, though. It's not so much about tuning to a specific frequency, but a more systematic approach involving modes and relationships between them. If you want to bounce some glitter, there's plenty of resources to help you with that. A good place to start would be with Al Carruth.

• Members

Paul Reed Smith and luthiers in the Gibson Custom Shop are known to tap bodies to hear resonance, and one could go as far as to "tune" a body to a certain frequency. I think Bob Benedetto (even though he builds hollows) is notorious for carving and therefore tuning his tops and backs to certain frequencies.

I have my 12 stringer plugged into my tuner just sitting on a stand and I'm watching TV. The tuner reads B. When I dampen the strings, no reading. Then when I let go, the tuner registers a B. So I'm thinking this semi has a resonant frequency of B.

B is the frequency of OM.

Archived