Famous guitarists playing through non-stock guitars? Let's talk about it...

evh1984

• Members

Seems to me that so many famous guitarists use modded and mongrel guitars instead of off-the-shelf models.

I remember that quote by EVH, which went something like: "I can never get a guitar off the shelf to do what I want it to do, which is bitch and scream."

Even those with signature models seem to have a little something extra under the hood when it comes to the guitars they themselves play.

A few that came to mind are:

EVH - The king of guitar modders. Most of his guitars were self-modded. Even his current Wolfgang is the product of years and years of mods.

SRV - His beloved and famous Number One was made from at least two different Strats

Clapton - The Strat he was most associated with, Blackie, was a mongrel, assembled from parts of three different Strats.

Hendrix - Most of his Strats were reassembled from parts of the ones he'd smash onstage.

Muddy Waters - repainted his Tele and added a bigger neck off another Tele to "increase the tone"

Who else can you think of that are famous for using non-stock guitars?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hendrix - Most of his Strats were reassembled from parts of the ones he'd smash onstage.

I call BS. The few guitars Hendrix smashed were on the most part junk that he had marked so he wouldn't get them mixed up. . He pretty much played off the rack strats.

Well a backwards nut could be a mod I guess.

• Members

Rorry Gallagher-tuners,pickups,neck(for a few years)

Ritchie Blackmore-neck scallop,no middle pickup,pickups

Gilmour-the red one.:lol:(black one was mentioned)

,Dave Murray-HSH stratocaster

,Jimmy Page-#1 and #2......almost everyone modded their stuff

• Members

I call BS. The few guitars Hendrix smashed were on the most part junk that he had marked so he wouldn't get them mixed up. . He pretty much played off the rack strats.

Well a backwards nut could be a mod I guess.

"He [Hendrix] often saved parts from guitars he smashed in performance, and reassembled them into new guitars."

Chris Gill, Guitar Legends: The Definitive Guide the to World's Greatest Guitar Players. Harper Perennial, 1995, p. 66

You stand corrected. :cop:

• Members

Waylon Jennings leather covered tele :love:

Steve Vai's Flo, floral pattern, painted white, added sustainer.

Beck's oxblood les paul, painted, humbuckers added

Buckethead's Les Paul baritone, no inlays, EMGs

Jimi Hendrix' Flying V, awesome paint.

Roger Fisher's Strat, carved body and neck, inlays, pickups, stereo output

• Members

Thom Yorke's Tele Deluxe had loads of electrical mods. The neck volume control was converted into a master volume with all other control pots removed, the pickup selector was moved to the open hole where the neck tone control lived, and the output jack was moved to the open hole where the bridge tone control lived.

Neil Young's Old Black is a 1953 Goldtop Les Paul that is poorly refinished in black, the neck P90 has a metal cover, the bridge pickup was replaced with a Firebird mini-humbucker, the bridge was replaced with a tune-o-matic, a Bigsby was installed, the pickguard was replaced with an aluminum one, the machine heads were replaced with Schaller M6, the tone control capacitors were changed to 47nF Orange Drops, and a switch was added to bypass the volume and tone controls.

Wes Montgomery had a custom Gibson L5 with only a neck pickup that was reversed so that the pole pieces were on the bridge side.

• Members

Robbie Robertson - besides moving the middle strat pickup down to the bridge he had one of those Last Waltz guitars bronzed

I emailed Warmoth recently asking them to offer their strat bodies in a bronze based on that guitar. They said no. :mad:

• Members

often saved parts from guitars he smashed in performance, and reassembled them into new guitars."

Chris Gill,
Guitar Legends: The Definitive Guide the to World's Greatest Guitar Players
. Harper Perennial, 1995, p. 66

You stand corrected.
:cop:

Yeah but most of the ones he smashed or burned were the early Pre-CBS small headstock guitars that he played in the early days. The guitars he was most known for playing were pretty much stock AFAIK.

Archived