Recommend a good modeling pedal?

brandass

• Members

My Roland KC150 amp is great for cleans but brings out the worst in OD/distortion pedals. Will Chen calls it a "mini PA with a full range response", and suggested getting a modeling device for decent dirt. I'm exploring that.

Haven't much experience with modeling pedals, so not sure where to start. Had a GT3 for years, got useable dirt but only after tons of tweaking, and sold it mainly because it was painful to tweak. Considering an updated version (eg, GT6), knobs would help a lot.

Haven't been impressed with the Line6 stuff, but haven't spent a lot of time with it either. Same goes for MagicStomp and DigiTech RP series.

Lots of other options out there, no direct experience with them.

Please point me in the right direction. Thanks! :wave:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The late line 6 stuff is excellent once youve dialed them in however the process can suck the fun out for some.

The GT 8 and 10 were really good however they still felt a bit too digital at times.

The Tonelabs can get a few very convincing flavors going as well but lack the options that the Boss GT's,Line6 XT/X3 and upper RP,s,etc.. have.

The X3 Live Ive seen in action direct in as well as Keyboard amped and if you closed your eyes youd have thought that real tubes were going on at times.

Again there may be much tweaking required though.

• Members

I hate to disagree with TLBonehead - cause I respect his opinion. But I tired the latest tonelab (the black/gold one) - I was disappointed. I have a couple in the RP line that I really like. I have an older RP150, and also the newer RP55. On the RP series you can modify like 50 settings to your taste, and still have the factory 50 presets. My recommendation is to spend a little more money and get one with a Alpha display. Also try to get one that has a looper. The RP55 has a looper and it has really help me develop my lead playing. I had been working on a couple original licks which sounded to me - really cool - but from working with the looper I realize some of the notes were actually out of key. The looper has help me a lot in that area.

Have fun.

• Members

The problem is most amp modeling companies are resting on their laurels and not producing a next generation product. So, must of these sound nearly the same as their predecessors did ten years ago. That is exactly the case with Line 6 who has rolled out a new amp modeling software in a decade and has no plans to in the future (the X3 uses the exact same model software as the XT and just adds new features).

The Axe-Fx and the Eleven rack are the new next generation products, but are $$$$.

So, I would fall back on the Vox, which seems to easily win taste tests against Line 6 time and time again.

I have a Pod XT that a forumite gave me for free that I use to scratch pad. But the amps are very processed and over-produced sounding, great for recording, poor for using live. Anyway, running the amps on my Mac, it's real easy to hear Amplitube totally surpass them these days, too bad that's not available in a stand-alone product.

Ultimately, you should be able to dial in a few good sounds regardless of what you buy.

• Members

I hate to disagree with TLBonehead - cause I respect his opinion. But I tired the latest tonelab (the black/gold one) - I was disappointed. I have a couple in the RP line that I really like. I have an older RP150, and also the newer RP55. On the RP series you can modify like 50 settings to your taste, and still have the factory 50 presets. My recommendation is to spend a little more money and get one with a Alpha display. Also try to get one that has a looper. The RP55 has a looper and it has really help me develop my lead playing. I had been working on a couple original licks which sounded to me - really cool - but from working with the looper I realize some of the notes were actually out of key. The looper has help me a lot in that area.

Have fun.

I've never tried the cheap model Tonelab.

• Members

Thanks for the quick and thoughtful responses. :thu:

Tech21 is an attractive option. I've got a Double Overdrive 3X that I love. Actually bought it for the KC150. Doesn't play well with it, but it's not a modeler. So I have high hopes for a Tech21 modeler, though no experience with one.

Forgot about Tonelab, sounds like I should pick through their versions carefully. Same approach to Line6 and RP series, I guess.

Didn't consider modeling software - maybe I should look into that as well? I've got a Mac that could be used to run it; been thinking about using it for recording, maybe combine those efforts? I'd need a physical interface of some sort though, right?

Thanks again, and please keep the suggestions coming!

• Members

Thanks for the quick and thoughtful responses.
:thu:

Tech21 is an attractive option. I've got a Double Overdrive 3X that I love. Actually bought it for the KC150. Doesn't play well with it, but it's not a modeler. So I have high hopes for a Tech21 modeler, though no experience with one.

Forgot about Tonelab, sounds like I should pick through their versions carefully. Same approach to Line6 and RP series, I guess.

Didn't consider modeling software - maybe I should look into that as well? I've got a Mac that could be used to run it; been thinking about using it for recording, maybe combine those efforts? I'd need a physical interface of some sort though, right?

Thanks again, and please keep the suggestions coming!

The nice things about the Tech 21 stuff is they aren't digital. They are the amp circuit shrunk done and transistorized. Other options for amp-based pedals are Menatone and OLC.

But the Tech 21 Blonde is becoming super popular.

• Members

I hate to disagree with TLBonehead - cause I respect his opinion. But I tired the latest tonelab (the black/gold one) - I was disappointed.

I really hate to hear that. I don't see why it would be vastly different.

incidentally, that's the Tonelab ST, not one of the ones TLBonehead is suggesting.

• Members

I own a bunch of modelers:

Pod 1.0

Pod 2.0

Pod XT Bass

Pocket Pod

Pandora 2, 4, & 5

Johnson J-Station (gave it to a friend)

Digitech RP50

Vox Tonelab

Brian May Pedal

I'm sure that I'm forgetting some.

The only one that has caught and held my attention is the Tonelab. It lacks some of the features of others, but it excels in the tone department. It's also very quiet and the effects are usable.

• Members

The nice things about the Tech 21 stuff is they aren't digital. They are the amp circuit shrunk done and transistorized. Other options for amp-based pedals are Menatone and OLC.

But the Tech 21 Blonde is becoming super popular.

I gotta sorta go with Wyatt here. Modelling footstomps? Line6 M13 or M9 for sure - but as the effects guys say you would probably still want to go analog for dirt. While some guys say they like the onboard dirts, the majority (yes, likely including many tone snobs) use the M13/ M9 along with their favorite tube or analog OD/ Distortion.

• Members

I have a POD XT Live and a DigiTech RP1000. The POD sounds better when recording. Live, the RP1000 blows it out of the water.

I usually run the RP1000 in front of the amp, with the cabinet models off, and use it as a multi-effects pedal. The amp and dirt/distortion models are very, very good. I have run it using the four cable method and was blown away at how many different amp models sounded great.

• Members

Big +1 on the Digitech RP or GSP series. I've been using the RP500 for a couple of years now and I still love it. There's no tone that I can't get out of it, granted I know this thing inside out by now.

I bought it mainly to mess around at home and do some light recording. Everything on my Soundclick page (under hc jams in my sig) was done with the RP500.

Can't comment on how it sounds thru a KB amp but I'm sure it will still kick ass. I really wanted to hear it thru a tube amp so I got me Mesa 50/50 and scored these awesome thiele cabs with EVM12L's. Man, this rig sounds so good you'd never guess the tones were coming from a multi fx floor processer.

Anyway just my .02 cents. Good luck on the quest.

• Members

I'd have to vote for the Tonelab. I still have an original table top model. I've always been able to get good tones out of it, but the best I could do was to run it in to the FX return on a decent tube amp. It just has a more connected, full feeling and an immediacy to it that was lacking running it into the front of the amp.

I've always said where the Tonelab excels is on the slightly dirty to medium gain range of things. Quite a few modelers can put out usable cleans and a variety of high gain tones, but the Tonelab seems to be a notch ahead of everyone else when it comes to those edge of breakup type tones. It also is very responsive to the guitar volume knob.

I've never used an AxeFX which I would assume is the best nor have I spent much time with the GT10 or any of the character series Tech 21 pedals though some of the online vids are pretty impressive. Esp the Vox and the Mesa pedals.

• Members

If the Roland does not give up good dirt, maybe you should consider looking into a Vox Valvetronix amp, such as the VT30, or VT50 as an alternative to just using pedals through the Roland. Maybe even a small Egnater amp.

• Members

I love my GT-10, but part of the good sound I can get is that I use it with a TECH 21 Power Engine 60 that provides no "coloration" to the emulated sounds of the gt10.... when I have run my gt 10 through a regular tube or ss amp, the sound is not that good, even with the four cable method....

In short, get whichever effect or modeler you want or that have the best effects that will suit your needs, BUT, how you amplify it will have a radical effect in your results!

imho...

Good luck! :wave:

Omar :thu:

Archived