Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

HNGD: Prototype from New Dawn Guitars (absurdly long post w/highly redundant photos)

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HNGD: Prototype from New Dawn Guitars (absurdly long post w/highly redundant photos)

You may remember this axe, we witnessed its birth (http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2510799).

I was smitten then, and when it popped up on CL I had to check it out.

Got to meet Ken Currie (aka Rose Pickups) for the first time, which was great; had been looking forward to that for a while. Cool to get his perspective on building a business in the world of gear; really impressed with the path he's forging. Got to see his pup winding set-up, too - very nice!

Anyway, Ken was selling off the first of the New Dawn prototypes; we'll call them Greenie, Creamie, and Woodie (see birth thread for more info and photos). Somebody had picked up Creamie earlier, the remaining two beckoned. Truth be told, I had eyes only for Greenie. The look totally slays me, I'm helpless before it.

Ken sensed that I was in trouble, and to his credit he pointed out the many (many) imperfections of Greenie. The factory made loads of mistakes, mostly in the domain of fit and finish, and most of them are immediately obvious to the experienced eye. They'd piss off many guitarists, I'm sure, not just perfectionists. But for me this stuff is in the noise. I love the overall look. The fundamentals are rock solid (with one exception...). The neck feels great; thinner than my ideal but pretty close, and very fast (they got that part of the finish exactly right). The pups are complex yet articulate. Warts and all, that axe had to come home with me.

OK, enough blather - you're here for the pron, let's bring it on!

Here are some images from Ken, as posted to the birth thread:

24.75" scale, 2 piece mahogany body.

By the time the guitar hit CL several mods had been made: "Korean pickups" were replaced with Rose Hybrid Tea pickups (43 AWG heavy formvar coated wire hand-wound with Alcino V longbar magnet); lower knobs were replaced with switches for coil-tapping; upper knobs (master vol, master tone) were replaced with speed knobs; and mini-pots had been installed.

Here's the guitar I brought home:

Great transactions with: pan760, Unclemeat, adlo76, deadanddreaming, Woody_in_MN, Rose Pickups, Toshiro, BryanMichael, cbh5150, Rand-O-Monium, ugameus, jcm800stratman

"It's the internet, dude. We all make six figures, f*ck supermodels and drive 9 second Supras when we're not in here bitching about our MIM Strats." [flummox]

"Before you read this post, it should be noted that I f*cking love bunny rabbits." [CompleteGuitard]

As you may have guessed from that last photo, I had plans for Greenie...

The pups are very bright, and that made it tricky to dial in balanced sounds, take advantage of the coil tapping, and prevent dirt from becoming spikey or fizzy. So I wanted to tame them a bit, without muzzling them.

A big part of the solution was to establish separate controls for each of the pups. Each switch was replaced with a push/pull pot (full-sized, 500K, 0.047 ceramic caps) for tone control and coil-tapping of a pup; and each knob was re-wired (full-sized pots, 300K bridge and 500K neck) for volume control of a pup.

On Ken's advice, I also installed a bridge with greater mass.

Pup height adjustments helped a bit, too. Tried heavier strings (came with 10s, tried 11s), but in the end actually went with 9s.

I'm super happy with the final outcome. The overall sound remains bright, but it can be shaped with a lot of precision now, and the variety of usable tones is truly amazing. Bridge HB thickened with neck SC: a little slice of heaven!

Alright, back to the pix. Here's Greenie today:

Great transactions with: pan760, Unclemeat, adlo76, deadanddreaming, Woody_in_MN, Rose Pickups, Toshiro, BryanMichael, cbh5150, Rand-O-Monium, ugameus, jcm800stratman

"It's the internet, dude. We all make six figures, f*ck supermodels and drive 9 second Supras when we're not in here bitching about our MIM Strats." [flummox]

"Before you read this post, it should be noted that I f*cking love bunny rabbits." [CompleteGuitard]

Comment

The fundamentals are rock solid (with one exception...).

and?

Comment

As you can probably tell, I'm still very much in the honeymoon stage with this axe!

I've got it looking and sounding the way I like it, and the feel is there too. I've cleaned up some of the fit and finish flaws, and could clean up some more, but most are beyond my abilities, and they're actually growing on me anyway - they're becoming essential features of Greenie's character.

The one thing that stands out as a potential problem is lack of neck stability. The neck wasn't sunk into the body deep enough, and as a result the joint is as flexible as any I've ever seen. But even that is growing on me; who needs a trem when a little shake or bend of the neck will do?!

We'll see what happens after the honeymoon, but in the meantime I'm enjoying the ride!

Thanks for celebrating with me!

Comment

and?

See: neck stability.

Comment

See: neck stability.

AH!...oh...ew...

Comment

Cool looking fiddle, very nice finish! Congrats
              -- Rainer

My Guitars (Updated 2011/07/02) • Schecter Society • Yamaholic • Reverend Congregation
              G&L Militia • Captain in the SG Army in Rock 'N' Roll alliance with the Mazi Bee Militia
              Beware of my Teutonic Terror

Comment

That finish is killer! HNGD!
                Hold mah beer an' watch this!

Comment

Sweet! I was originally thinking of picking up the Cream colored one...good stuff!
                  MarkWein.com and Forums
                  Study with me on Truefire.com!
                  McFeely Custom Guitars Artist

Comment

Well you have one of a kind now. Many of us are hoping Ken gets thru manufacturing issues and gets into production. HNGD 4 paws up from Lamb Chop.

GOOD DEALS WITH: ae3753, Buckethead99, CBH5150, DCinDC, Dogfish, Drawdeep, Drivelikejoewho, Duderanimous, Jelloman, Marc758, Newbuilder, Orion23, PunkKitty, Scottd23, tomh777, Weather.at.8, Xupernaut, Zemmy

SPAM: HOHNER TB1 - $225

MY MUSIC:
                    My Music Sampler

Originator of the "can I get free picks with that " phrase TM 2011

Originally Posted by Bob411

Nice ass Mrs. Woody.

Comment

cool looking guitar!
                      SPAM:

Custom Wired Strat Pickguard Assemblies - PM me to discuss specs & pricing

Good Trades: PunkKitty, mfergel, Norcal_GIT_r, Chuck1016, Elias Graves, hrcnsfan, ugameus, RosePickups, jelloman, Hookandcanman, Danocoustic

Comment

I love the design. Enjoy the hell out of it!
                        Death leaves a heartache no one can heal
                        Love leaves a memory no one can steal

Comment

Happy NGD!
                          Good deals with: shrouded, inscho, outtahear, 57GLDTP, K-Bizzle, mikeSF, Zemmy, Woody_in_MN, dcindc, Mike Fiasco, adlo76, bdhn, monsterbot, newbuilder, stratedge09, TomCray, ss454Originally Posted by Mike FiascoLike most hipsters, zombies are artfully disshevelled on the outside and dead on the inside.

Comment

I love the body shape. I wish there were more guitars with shapes that were cool without being bizarre/wild.
                            Benford Custom Hellicaster
                            Agile Custom AL
                            Fender? Silverburst Strat
                            Crafter acoustic
                            Taylor 310ce acoustic

Peavey Ultra 1x12 Combo

Good Dealings with: Dr. Scottie C, JoshuaLogan, kojdogg, Daveydude
                            Good trades with: Shredhead74

Comment

HNGD!!
                              Good Deals - BlackHatHunter, vexed73, Shamdog, sa1126, Doctor Morbius, Tweedledee, RitalinCupcake, CompleteGuitard, Metal0822, lfrz93, deadanddreaming, Billy Dee, jigowatt, jcameronk2, Steve_man, orangesix, Zuzuman, BryanFTL, finboy, IBDBB (x2), Mike Fiasco, Posh1227, Woody_in_MN, finboy, FarToMany, kojdogg, Fusion1, dcindc, fulcrumpoint, live-I-evil, Deadbeat Son, Teletaylor, Mr Goodbomb, Firebrand, Jse, bdhn, Lonnie99(x2), jjegg

Comment

Working...
                              X