Yamaha AES620 Opinions ?

Wyzsard

• Members

20 and like it a lot. It's a bit of a different animal than the (newer) AES620.

I also own a RGX320FZ and absolutely love it.

Ok, thanks for your thoughts on it. I just need a guitar with 'buckers.

I want an SG, but that's down the road.

• Members

GREAT guitar. Awesome pickups, great sound. Just a solid solid guitar. The only thing that I didn't like was the chunky neck, but obviously that's just really minor, and I had no problem gigging with one.

And for 225 used? That's a deal. I bought mine brand new for $777 and even then I thought it was worth it.

• Members

GREAT guitar. Awesome pickups, great sound. Just a solid solid guitar. The only thing that I didn't like was the chunky neck, but obviously that's just really minor, and I had no problem gigging with one.

And for 225 used? That's a deal. I bought mine brand new for $777 and even then I thought it was worth it.

Ok, I guess I should check it out. It's in a local shop and I have a MIM Tele I paid 225 for. The shop gave me a standing offer off 300 trade in on the tele, which is what they want for the Yamaha.

I'll have to wait till tomorrow, they aren't answering the phone, so they must have got the day off for the holiday weekend thing.

thx

• Members

I owned one. It was extremely well made, and a steal for $225. The one thing I didn't like was the tone, which always seemed brighter than I was seeking in an HB guitar--weirdly bright, in fact. I even tried a pickup swap, to Duncan Alnico Pro IIs, which the Duncan website specifically touts for warming up bright instruments, and while it helped, it still didn't produce quite the sound I was looking for. But obviously, tone preferences are subjective, and I can imagine a lot of circumstances in which the AES620 sound is what one would want.

• Members

Great guitar IMHO. Had one and it compared very well with my Hamer Artist at 1/4 the price (used). The great secret is the Yamaha made bridge pickup, sounded great! Guitar was heavy for me, but I have a bad back. Probably same weight as most lighter Les Pauls.

• Members

Great guitar IMHO. Had one and it compared very well with my Hamer Artist at 1/4 the price (used). The great secret is the Yamaha made bridge pickup, sounded great! Guitar was heavy for me, but I have a bad back. Probably same weight as most lighter Les Pauls.

I thought they came with a Yamaha pickup in the neck and a Duncan JB in the bridge?

• Members

Bridge says SD on the one in the shop. I like the feel and look of it

I checked it out on the way to work Wednesday. Was in a hurry, but did plug it in an amp in their demo room. Fret buzz city on the lower frets, so I check the relief and it has none, may even be back bowed a bit. Minimal fret wear.

Both volume pots have issues and the tone pot was ok. Anyhow, I had to dime both volume controls to get sound from it.

Looks like stock pups going by pics on the net, and just like HanSolo's. Appears structurally solid. I'm willing to rewire it and put new pots in it if needed, but before I grab it, I'll have to check out the truss rod and if it's not maxed out and has adjustment, I'll get the relief right. The shop will let me do it I'm sure, so....

What type/size wrench I need ? Hex/socket ?

• Members

What type/size wrench I need ? Hex/socket ?

Bring one of everything you got. It'll all easily fit in yer pocket.

I'd also re-string it at the store with some quality name brand 10 ~ 48 strings. What's the loss of a set of strings if you decide not to buy?

$225 is definitely a very good price.

• Members

Bring one of everything you got. It'll all easily fit in yer pocket.

I'd also re-string it at the store with some quality name brand 10 ~ 48 strings. What's the loss of a set of strings if you decide not to buy?

$225 is definitely a very good price.

True, I have a bunch of strings anyhow. I'll just go in there Saturday before they close and cut a deal where I can bring it back Monday if I find the neck has issues. I'm sure they will, bought a lot of stuff there the last year.

• Members

Yes, you are correct. The neck pickup is the Yamaha pickup and the bridge is a JB. I was installing a bridge pickup in a tele as I wrote this, so I guess I had bridge pickups on my mind!:confused:

I thought they came with a Yamaha pickup in the neck and a Duncan JB in the bridge?

• Members

Bridge says SD on the one in the shop. I like the feel and look of it

The standard bridge pickup on the 620 was a Seymour Duncan JB. You may get the pots rolling again with some contact cleaner, but it can't hurt to get some replacements just in case.

Those were great guitars. I hope it works out for you.

• Members

Yes, you are correct. The neck pickup is the Yamaha pickup and the bridge is a JB. I was installing a bridge pickup in a tele as I wrote this, so I guess I had bridge pickups on my mind!
:confused:

You are right about the Yamaha pickup being sweet though! I like it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Update: I had to pass on it. The truss rod was either maxed out or the nut cross threaded. Just too much work needed on it. Thanks for all the opinions and such, but this one is a lemon.

I wound up buying an '02 Godin LG SP90. I'll post pics on that one on a separate thread after work late tonight.

• Members

The music shop that belongs to the Yamaha school in my city has 2 of them stock, one has gray finish and another has red. I tried the red one and the sound when the bridge pickup was on might not be bright to my ears, but way too harsh and lack warmth. Other than that, I dare to say that this bad boy totally destroys ALL the mass-produced Gibson LPs. And I MEAN DESTROY. :thu::cop:

I plugged it to a Roland Cube 60 via Vintage RAT Reissue. The controls on the amps were flat and the tone pot on the RAT was on the dark side, FYI.

• Members

$225 is a good price for that guitar.

Well, they want 325 but were going to trade me even for a MIM Tele that I only had 225 in. I really wanted to like it, but I think whoever had it tried to play tech and screwed the truss rod up.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

picked up a goldie-beige AES620 second-hand about a year ago - it's just super fine - the local music shop calls it a "Yamaha Les Paul" in all senses of the word. Am having the neck pickup replaced with a Seymour Duncan 59. That baby's a solid neck thro to the body: sweet ;)

Archived