What's the WORST album you ever purchaced?

Alden97

• Members

Been seeing a lot of threads relating to good music lately, and I started thinking...

What's the worst album you bought, thinking it was going to be good or at least OK?

Mine is Psychostick. I heard a few clips, thought it sounded OK and decided to try my luck. I'm actually a bit embarrassed I own it.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When I bought Death Magnetic, I was all over it. Now I skip every song that comes up in my shuffle.

Man, that reminds me I own St. Anger... I just can't get past the snare drum on that album. I just want to scream at Lars to flip the lever down so it actually sounds like a snare.

• Members

Hawthorne Heights - Skeletons.

I really like their first album, the second album was a significant decline, didn't get the third, don't know why Skeletons would have been any better. I traded it back in in two days towards another disc.

• Members

Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music".

Maybe "worst" isn't exactly the right word to describe it; more like "unlistenable", and that was intentional, so can it be considered the worst if it hits its mark?

Most disappointing was Captain Beefheart's "Trout Mask Replica". The hype was so intense, all signs pointed to instant Nirvanna, and... I never got through the album even once, too {censored}ing annoying. I've still got it though; every 5 years or so I put it on for recalibration purposes - ah, THAT'S rock bottom!

• Members

I bought Joss Stone's Soul Sessions album for my wife, who liked her version of Fell in Love with a Boy. The album version has a different (and not so good) vocal take, and all the other tracks have a different producer. They just sound like a lifeless recording of some bored old men from a cruise ship band limping through a few soul cliches.

We're all quite used to buying albums which don't live up to the promise of the single, but that one actually felt like a ripoff.

• Members

back in the late 90s; a co-worker was like "man, you like pearl jam right? dude, check out creed. you'll love them."

i didn't (and still don't) really listen to the radio or follow any of that {censored} so i had no idea who this band was. so ... you know ... i bought it to check it out.

i threw it out the window of my car on the way home from the store and never talked to that asshole again.

• Members

Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music".

Maybe "worst" isn't exactly the right word to describe it; more like "unlistenable", and that was intentional, so can it be considered the worst if it hits its mark?

Lester Bangs called it "The Greatest Album Ever Made"

• Members

Lester Bangs called it "The Greatest Album Ever Made"

Yeah, that was part of the calculation in buying it.

I had to work hard at it too, in those pre-internet, pre-CD days. It was hard to track down a copy, and harder to shell out so much dough.

And it's not like I didn't have big ears - I was listening to tons of different stuff, including a lot of experimental noise-based music and boundry-less free jazz and such. My expectations were high.

But... blech.

A lot more fun to think about than to listen to (same goes for VU's "Murder Mystery").

I kept reading Bangs' reviews/rants, and kept liking them (still do), but was a lot more skeptical of his recommendations after buying that album.

• Members

Most disappointing was Captain Beefheart's "Trout Mask Replica"

Admittedly that album is an acquired taste but I have to say, for me, it's up near the other end of the spectrum from worst album I've ever purchased.

Worst for me would probably be Doctors of Madness - Figments of Emancipation (yeah I know - "who?"). I bought the album based on a way-over-the-top review in the NME (don't think it was csm but it could have been) and pretty much hated every song on it!

• Members

Admittedly that album is an acquired taste but I have to say, for me, it's up near the other end of the spectrum from worst album I've ever purchased.

I'm sincerely glad to hear that somebody got something positive out of that album! Lord knows I tried! I've acquired many hard-won tastes, but in this case it was not to be.

• Members

Trout Mask is an all time favourite, for sure.

However, I can understand how it may not appeal to some people.

• Members

Well Brandass, you shouldn't have jumped straight into Trout Mask. Beefheart's the sort of guy where it's best to ease yourself in, go with some other albums that aren't so intentionally hard to listen to, you know?

But, TMR gets as hyped as it does, that's what people do, and the sane ones tend to back off after that. Heh.

• Members

I love the first album, like the second and that duet with Klaus Meine is pretty awesome, what's wrong with this one?

I like the first and second so I preordered without hearing it first... It's too poppy :idk:

Archived