Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender Tex-Mex vs GFS Vintage Alnico for a new build?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Tex-Mex vs GFS Vintage Alnico for a new build?

I am building a strat with an ash body and Bocote neck. I have two wired pickguards and am too lazy to try them both. One has a set of Fender TexMex, the other GFS Premium Alnico Vintage.

Which do you think is going to be the better choice for a nice tight strat sound?

As I recall, I was a little underwhelmed with the Vintage GFS pickups. I swapped them into a Fender MIM Std and pulled them right out. That was a couple years ago and I don't know that I really gave them more than a cursory play and didn't think they sounded any better than the stock MIM pickups.

This is the guitar mocked up. I was going to bring on the bling as shown but am going to go with cream pickups and knobs instead.

"I've got a briefcase of thin air. I can play some tricks on you, pretend that I don't care." The Contrast

GFS
    Sweet guitar btw!
    Originally Posted by Frets99

All guitars cost $300.
    What you pay depends on the headstock.

Comment

I am a big fan of the Tex Mex pickups, but they are on the bright side and I am not sure if ash would make them too bright. It may...? Actually, I like the tex mex better than the american standard pickups.

Unfortunately, I have not tried the gfs alnico's but if they are warmer, I would consider them.
      MIA Fender Strat / Gibson Les Paul Studio / Custom Telecaster / Washburn WI66 / Custom Stratocaster / Martin D15S / Guild D55 / Simon & Patrick Cedar / Martin HD16R LSH​

Comment

Can't speak for the GFS, but I did not care for Fender TexMex.
        I'm in a band called Little Sluggers. Signature.

Comment

i really like my TX mex.. although they are not a quite pup..
          lots of 60 cycle hum...
          Electric Cowbell.. meh...
          http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Scuzzo's Sound Clicks
          Mixed for Headphones only
          all pictures sound the same....
          The"Let Me Hear Your Original Works" please feel free to add your stuff..
          Funk
          Avaunt-Guard
          Blues
          Jazz

Comment

Tex -Mexs for me

Comment

I am a big fan of the Tex Mex pickups, but they are on the bright side and I am not sure if ash would make them too bright. It may...? Actually, I like the tex mex better than the american standard pickups.

Unfortunately, I have not tried the gfs alnico's but if they are warmer, I would consider them.

you can tame the bright bridge pup by doing the ole Jimmy Vaughn Trick.
              tone to bridge.. it takes a good bit of the overbite out of it... but it leaves the center pup with wide open... they are a bit over wound.. not much.. though..
              Electric Cowbell.. meh...
              http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Scuzzo's Sound Clicks
              Mixed for Headphones only
              all pictures sound the same....
              The"Let Me Hear Your Original Works" please feel free to add your stuff..
              Funk
              Avaunt-Guard
              Blues
              Jazz

Comment

I like the Tex Mex, too, but I would be wary of them in an ash body. I have a MIM Deluxe Ash that came with the Tex Mex pickups and, even with the bridge tone mod, they were crazy bright in that guitar.

I have the GFS Alnicos in a '95 Korean Squier and they sound really good. I would try them first.
                ................The REAL Brah

Good trades/deals with: Fusion1, SOLARPIMP, Lonnie99, twotimingpete, Tupelo Sun, moon shadow, Florbastang, shooter 123, Wolfboy1, almost enough, meowy, ntmo, lovellintn, fulcrumpoint, matt rhoades, kojdogg, cadfael, Daveydude, DaveAronow, Smithshred

Comment

Cool wood, Han

I can't speak for the GFS pickups, but I really like the Tex-Mex...

Comment

I really don't have an opinion on the pickups, but that is a seriously hot looking guitar you are building there!
                    Please visit my website www.treeguitarworks.com

Comment

Rose Meriposas/thread
                      GUITARS:
                      Fender MIM Standard Strat
                      Hand Made SG Replica
                      Epiphone DOT Studio
                      Westbury Standard
                      Cort X-5
                      New Dawn Signature Prototype
                      Frankentele "The Buddy Caster"
                      Home Made LP copy "The Swamp Ass"
                      AMPS:
                      Crate VC3112
                      Fender Mustang II

Proud Rose Pickups and Rose Petal Effects user

My Good Deals

Comment

I chose my Tex-Mex cause on paper its the closest Fender has to SRV's #1 at least at my price point (at the time).

Sweet neck btw.

Comment

Working...
                        X