Fender Tex-Mex vs GFS Vintage Alnico for a new build?

HanSolo

• Members

I am building a strat with an ash body and Bocote neck. I have two wired pickguards and am too lazy to try them both. One has a set of Fender TexMex, the other GFS Premium Alnico Vintage.

Which do you think is going to be the better choice for a nice tight strat sound?

As I recall, I was a little underwhelmed with the Vintage GFS pickups. I swapped them into a Fender MIM Std and pulled them right out. That was a couple years ago and I don't know that I really gave them more than a cursory play and didn't think they sounded any better than the stock MIM pickups.

This is the guitar mocked up. I was going to bring on the bling as shown but am going to go with cream pickups and knobs instead.

1003045o.jpg 1003044.jpg 1003065.jpg

• Members

I am a big fan of the Tex Mex pickups, but they are on the bright side and I am not sure if ash would make them too bright. It may...? Actually, I like the tex mex better than the american standard pickups.

Unfortunately, I have not tried the gfs alnico's but if they are warmer, I would consider them.

• Members

I am a big fan of the Tex Mex pickups, but they are on the bright side and I am not sure if ash would make them too bright. It may...? Actually, I like the tex mex better than the american standard pickups.

Unfortunately, I have not tried the gfs alnico's but if they are warmer, I would consider them.

you can tame the bright bridge pup by doing the ole Jimmy Vaughn Trick.

tone to bridge.. it takes a good bit of the overbite out of it... but it leaves the center pup with wide open... they are a bit over wound.. not much.. though..

• Members

I like the Tex Mex, too, but I would be wary of them in an ash body. I have a MIM Deluxe Ash that came with the Tex Mex pickups and, even with the bridge tone mod, they were crazy bright in that guitar.

I have the GFS Alnicos in a '95 Korean Squier and they sound really good. I would try them first.

Archived