Devin Townsend anyone?

ashasha

• Members

Not exactly his best moment, but it made me laugh pretty hard.

[YOUTUBE]2NongtyxkfY[/YOUTUBE]

I just 'discovered' this guy about a week ago and he's a pretty interesting dude. I suppose that there are a lot of people that know all about him so I won't get too in depth, but what impressed me was how frickin diverse he is. Plus as much as he seems to try to be insiteful at the end of the day he's just a sarcastic bastard which is always a plus in my book. :thu:

Any fans?

• Members

The first thing he did was sing on a Steve Vai album. Then he formed Strapping Young Lad, and then the Devin Tonsend Project. he has been around many years. He looks much better without the skullet.

Yeah, I just caught up with a bit of the history on him earlier. I didn't know about him and Vai at first, but as soon as he started talking about in an interview it because kind of obvious for some reason.

But the funny part is that I had heard of SLY years ago. For some reason I had them confused with some other crappy bands like UB40 or something like that for some reason. I mean just music that I would never listen to.

Now SLY isn't my new favorite band or anything, but they aren't anything like I expected it to be. To be quite honest I think that I was just stunned with how far off I was.

• Members

Now, why is it he's suppose to impress me?

The man is one of the greatest singers, could do opera with ease. But instead he chooses to spend most of his time screaming louder, harder, and longer than most.

He sang for Vai, and not only that the man can play guitar as well. In fact, he's a better guitarist than most as well... but devotes his time to writing some of the heaviest sludgiest most intensively metal {censored} imaginable.

Then, to top it off, he quits drugs, disbands his band and his solo project, and goes home to call it a day.

A year later, after getting bored, he comes back with a NEW solo project, and releases two albums within a 1 year span... KI and Addicted. The first was a mix from heavy to stray cats grooves to something pretty friggin close to ENYA thrown in there. The second album was basically his attempt at a pop album.

[YOUTUBE]M06vB9YeIjw[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Knew about him from his work on the Vai album sex and religion. I actually have a bootleg of that tour and he rips up as second guitarist right along with Vai.

Picked up Ziltoid the Omniscient a few months ago. Probably his best album of the others I have (synchestra, accelerated evolution, dtp - addicted). It is a cool themed album with his unique sense of humor.

Fan Here.

• Members

Devin's pretty much the coolest guy on the planet.

Here is his youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/poopynuggeteer

A selection of goodies:

[YOUTUBE]pVUxTc-fklQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]3D5OIyTZM9U[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]FuuRuL3HbHg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]fYn47sYt6vM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]nrxmrS9FIzc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]I9UvtY3TezI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]dFDsMC8NH6Y[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]jjfR3w7gOcU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]iU0W6iiYF3g[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

i can't selectively listen. he's talking, i hear the talking. i'm also not a huge fan of the music. it's alright, but it's not what i seek out, so obviously i'm not going to get into it that much.

• Members

i can't selectively listen. he's talking, i hear the talking. i'm also not a huge fan of the music. it's alright, but it's not what i seek out, so obviously i'm not going to get into it that much.

I didn't post that clip for his playing, it was for what he was saying. I just thought that it was kind of funny that he started playing something so melllow and just went into total meltdown and a tirade of f-bombs. The fact that it was on a manufacturer's youtube page made it even funnier to me for some weird reason. I imagine that the cameraman didn't know what to think.

• Members

I didn't post that clip for his playing, it was for what he was saying. I just thought that it was kind of funny that he started playing something so melllow and just went into total meltdown and a tirade of f-bombs. The fact that it was on a manufacturer's youtube page made it even funnier to me for some weird reason. I imagine that the cameraman didn't know what to think.

The guy is bi-polar so these outbursts tend to be quite common for him. Still hilarious though :thu:

I always love this video, apparently the female verse vocals were supposed to be played via a sampler during the verses but there was a technical problem, so Dev just talks about random stuff during them :)

[YOUTUBE]xTLSl9q-UmY[/YOUTUBE]

Also a very old and funny video with a very unbald Dev :)

[YOUTUBE]WrFO6wYD2BQ[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Didn't enjoy that. Just a demonstration of tweedly dee. No melody
no warmth no blues
not even much feeling.

holy {censored}ing what

Listen to what he's saying. He's talking about how stupid it is people idolize shreddy shreddy wank wank when you're 20 years old, and then you turn into a hippie around the time you hit 40, all the while mocking himself beacuse that's exactly what happened to him. It's not supposed to be a demonstration on how ZOMGSHREDZ he is, it's a lecture.

Archived