Godin SD- Thoughts?

Ovid9

• Members

A guy near me is advertising a Godin SD for $195. Says its about 6 years old and in good shape, just a couple of dings and nicks from use.

I don't really know much about Godin guitars. From googling about they seem to get good reviews and go for $400-430 new.

What are they similar to soundwise?

Currently my only electric is a mid-90s Ibanez RX170, which is fine, but I'm betting the Godin would have a different sound quality.

So, I guess, are these good guitars and is this a good deal?

• Members

Alright, I think I'll look into it. I'm not good enough to justify spending much money on gear, but when I do buy, I'd like to get as good of quality for money spent as I can.

This seems to fit in that category. Thanks.

• Members

I have tried Godin Summit CT and an LG at the store and I was totally blown away. Very good sound and huge tone. Though on some models the finish quality (eye candy) is not up to par with equivalent Jackson or other brand.

I think you wont be disappointed.

• Members

Uh oh, where's EG?

I have tried a couple Godin electrics and have been impressed with their sound and feel, I just am not a big fan of the way they look.

Like a smart chick who is a great cook and only ever wants you to buy her cheap stuff, but has a big snaggletooth. Their archtops are cute as {censored} though.

• Members

It does have an "interesting" look. Sorta like you mashed a tele and a LP together.

Its not my ideal style, but its far from hideous. And from the sounds of things would be solid for what I need*.

*need/want, same dif right?

• Members

I didn't like their older necks, but the "ergocut" profile on my Detour feels great, and I normally only like much bigger necks. The neck pockets on Godin bolt-ons are the tightest you will find anywhere near the price. The maple-core/poplar-wing wood combo on some of the lower-priced solid finished models scare people off on paper and I was myself a skeptic, but it's produces a great tone -- good snap, sustain, warmth, and harmonics.

For me, I don't like the pickup configuration and I don't like the configuration crammed for a 24 fret neck. There's something about the Strat spacing that doesn't fully translate when you mess with it, so the neck-middle spacing can let people down if they expect to totally nail the strat thing. (I'm not talking about replacing the pickups, I'm talking the places they are installed.)

The aesthetics of Godins can be deal killers for some people, and I think mine is a bit ugly, frankly, but it's a brilliant player and a great sounding guitar.

• Members

I didn't like their older necks, but the "ergocut" profile on my Detour feels great, and I normally only like much bigger necks.

I have a old Godin G-4000 and the neck on it is not as comfortable as my SD, so I'd agree with that.

For me, I don't like the pickup configuration and I don't like the configuration crammed for a 24 fret neck. There's something about the Strat spacing that doesn't fully translate when you mess with it, so the neck-middle spacing can let people down if they expect to totally nail the strat thing. (I'm not talking about replacing the pickups, I'm talking the places they are installed.)

That's why they switched the SD to 22 frets several years ago, about the same time they brought out the Exit 22. My SD is a 22 fret model and it sounds more stratty than the G-4000, which is a more strat style guitar, but 24 frets.

The aesthetics of Godins can be deal killers for some people, and I think mine is a bit ugly, frankly, but it's a brilliant player and a great sounding guitar.

I've actually come to really like the look but it took a while to get used to.

• Members

I picked up a small bodied single cut Godin with P90's at a shop a couple of years ago. It felt and played fantastic. It was however insanely heavy. Made my Les Paul Custom feel like a helium sample.

It did feel very nice though and everyone seems to agree Godin is mucho value for the dinero.

Archived