Peavey Studio Pro 112

gergbee

• Members

Hi,

I am looking for another amp and I saw one of these for sale locally and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with one. AND what's a good price for one? ie. "If you can get it for under $___ you should grab it."

Thanks,

Greg

• Members

I got one as a throw-in on a bigger deal. An old USA-made model. It's a 65W workhorse that gets the job done better than I was expecting when I ended up with it.

Pretty darn good cleans in "vintage" and "modern" voicings. Not quite as nice as good as a Roland JC (nor does it measure up to the cleans on my good tube amps), but it's respectable for a $400 1x12 combo. The dirt channel is... usable, if you've got no other options and/or hate using pedals. Real spring reverb is nice, too.

Normally, I'd say "snap one up" in a heartbeat if you see it for $100, but in the current market (and given the fact that it's a solid state amp with a Peavey logo on it), even the old American-made ones only command a price of about $50 on Craigslist.

Buy it for more than that if you really like it and want it, but be sure to understand that you won't get much back for it if/when you decide to resell it in the future. This thing shares its reputation with the awful Chinese-made "transtube" practice amps, and kind of looks like one at first glance.

• Members

trans-tube is a GOOD thing on the SS peaveys...it does a passable imitation of a tube amp simulator...

does the one you're looking at look like mine?

couchamp.jpg

...if so it's a chinese made amp...

mine has had the speaker replaced with an eminence, and I have an extensive pedalboard with several choices of distortion boxes that I use in lieu of the amps distortion...

I use mine primarily on the drive channel as clean as I can make it, with a slightly tweaked "vintage" tone setting, and it sounds VERY good...I'll never claim it beats my old Marshall but it's great for what it is...

• Members

I'd snag it for $50 definitely. I have a red stripe model kind of similar to jelloman's above but with a different logo. Mine says it's made in the USA though.

Very usable amp, it was the first amp I had that could keep up with a drummer but the drives aren't as good as they could be. Set up clean or as jello said above set as clean as you can get it on the dirt channel sounds pretty damn good.

• Members

I bought one off the 'bay at the beginning of summer (made in USA redstripe version). I think I got it for around $130 shipped. The stock blue marvel didn't work when it got here, and the seller claimed it was shipping damage, despite any lack of damage to the box it came in. I got him to kick back some $ and I swapped in a crappy 12" I pulled from my old Rogue SS amp.

I think it would sound better with a quality speaker, or even the original it came with. But anyway, I like it.

When I was deciding if I wanted to buy it, I couldn't find any decent clips to see how it sounded. But since I'm such a nice guy, you don't have to worry about that.

http://home.pct.edu/~cumnic87/jazzimprov.mp3 - recorded using a Jazz setting on the clean channel and High Gain channel set to a bit of a brittish sound.

http://home.pct.edu/~cumnic87/tehbr00tz.mp3 - someone asked for a cheap SS that could do teh br00tz, so I whipped this up as an example for them. Keep in mind, metal is not my forte

I've never seen one go for $50, and I wish I did when I bought mine. I thought the $130 I payed for mine was a good price.

• Members

He e-mailed me a pic but I didn't bother to upload the real one. It looks like this (not the amp, I found the pic online).

4638319-Ampli-peavey-studio-pro-12-440x3

That's the amp I started with in the 90's. It's not very good, really. The tone is just nothing special with either channel. Cleans are usable & I remember the distortion being a muddy/blah mess. I wouldn't really want one for free.

Maybe, the red stripe version is better.

Archived