best tele copy from rondo?

zoobdo

• Members

Don't pick a tele with your eyes, especially when exploring non-Fender brands. Apart from being a slab of wood in that single-cut shape, every Telecaster model is different from every other one, and you won't know which neck, pickups, etc. is the right rig for you unless you play it first to see how it feels and sounds.

• Members

As far as playability and having some of ea brand, the Xaviere plays as good as an SX. The Xaviere will have upgraded electronics and pickups. If you plan on swapping stuff out anyway, get the SX. If you want a guitar that you won't have to do anything to other than a setup, get the Xaviere. Jay Turser also makes decent Tele copies in that price range.

• Members

i would say it depends mostly on your preference.

but the necks are way more comfy than fender or squires for sure. flatter radius (meaning flatter fingerboard) and bigger frets. but back in the day most fenders had 7&half inch radius and tiny frets and there were monster players for sure, but i am much more happy with modern neck specs. bending notes dont fret out and playing fast is much easier

dont get me wrong i love fender and ive had more strats than any other model guitar in my life.

just inspect it well and if there are problems rondo is great about swaps/returns.

• Members

Don't pick a tele with your eyes, especially when exploring non-Fender brands. Apart from being a slab of wood in that single-cut shape, every Telecaster model is different from every other one, and you won't know which neck, pickups, etc. is the right rig for you unless you play it first to see how it feels and sounds.

Best advice you'll be getting on this thread OP.

• Members

I have 2 sx teles and they both have great necks. I'm told it's hit or miss w/sx's, but the 2 teles and 1 strat I have from them are both great playing guitars (that's I've modded into nice sounding, functioning guitars).

And fwiw, the stoc X "electronics" are not that great - pickups, usually good, pots, switch, output jack, not so much.

• Members

best tele copy from rondo?

Well look through till you find the most expensive one and it may be best in terms of parts (Agile). Look at all the online option from all the ones mentioned here and choose based on taste, it's better to get the specs that are right for you than the most high end.

• Members

I've owned, over time, both the SX tele copy and the Agile TC-630. The Agile wins hands down, but, that isn't the whole story.

Both the Agile and SX had somewhat instable necks that needed for adjustment for humidity than any other guitars I've ever owned. The SX needed some pocket adjustments too to get it setup right as well as moving the bridge. The SX (an early model) had a kind of sticky finish on the neck that wore down OK after a few months.

Both were like kits...the Agile a little less so than the SX.

I would buy neither again to be honest.

• Members

Best advice you'll be getting on this thread OP.

Yes, it's good info but not what the OP asked for.

Golias' post recommends that you not buy any tele copy without playing it which rules out any mail order brand including SX, Xavier, Turser (unless you have them locally), Raven West and a ton of others.

As spooky as it seems the best resource for finding good cheap internet only options is this forum. The SX teles are regarded highly as mod platforms, Xavier teles too but with less fiddling needed. SX necks are chunky with big frets and flatter than fender boards.

Fender invented the tele but does not necessarily make the best option at every price point. Where it is easy to go try ant Squier or Fender out most rely upon other's experiences when looking at "internet" brands. Don't overlook Peavey, Washburn or Yamaha those may be available for a try out locally too and all can be compared to Fender products at just about any given price point favorably.

I had a Douglas tele that sounded pretty good although it was not the best player it was OK. It was also less than $100 so take that into consideration. You can get pretty darn close for pretty darn cheap nowadays.

• Members

As spooky as it seems the best resource for finding good cheap options is
used on Craigslist

Fixed it for you.

I recently picked up one of those cool "Custom Modified" made-in-India Squier Telecasters for $100. It needed a new output jack but was otherwise perfect. I sold it to a close friend in another band and it's now his "Number One."

I also picked up an Affinity Squier for $70 and modded the ever-lovin' crap out of it. I was STUNNED at how good the quality was for the price, and some of the mods I had originally planned proved to be unnecessary!

There's currently a Douglas tele copy (Rondo's small step up from SX) listed in my town for $120, as well as a beautiful home-built tele with double-binding and a heavily-figured body cap for $150.

So why would I order an SX blind for $110 plus shipping (or a Xaviere for even more) when this economy has people unloading their awesome "closet classics" for dirt cheap and I'm able to check them out before handing my cash over?

• Members

I have never played an Agile or SX so take this FWIW, but after having played a Squier CV Tele a few weeks ago, I think that you would be hard pressed to find anything better in that price range or even double the price and more for that matter. I was impressed.

• Members

Sure a CV is better, but not the point.

Sure used is cheaper but not the point.

To the OP, the best SX Tele's I have bought are the Ash versions, now gone and the three pickup models. I used to own a Fender Nashville and the SX 3 pup is so nice I never think about the Fender, other than this comparison.

SXTele.jpg

• Members

I own an Agile TC-630 and I would buy the SX.

The Agile has a thin neck.

I love it but at the current pricing it isn't even in the running.

The SX are rhat good eh. Wounder if it's the same deal with thier strats.

• Members

The SX are rhat good eh. Wounder if it's the same deal with thier strats.

Keep in mind that dcindc is absolutely unrivaled on this forum in his love of SX guitars. I'm not saying he's wrong in his bias, but in the interest of full disclosure...

• Members

I own an Agile TC-630 and I would buy the SX.

The Agile has a thin neck.

I love it but at the current pricing it isn't even in the running.

That's just wild. I have a SX strat neck (warped) and an Agile ST-802 neck. The Agile neck is thicker and wider.

I'd go with a Squier.

Archived