Best Overdrive/Distortion pedal for tube amp

elvisart

• Members

I just picked up a Sovtek Mig 60, which has a nice amt of gain, but am looking to push it over the top. The Big Muff sounds cool, but not the sound I'm after for rythm. I've found I pretty much need to run the GNX-4 through a totally clean amp or it sounds like ass.

I'm playing old school punk, hardcore, and thrash.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde. It definitely pushes my Nomad into all sorts of new territory, which is saying a lot because the Nomad is a very versatile 3 channel amp.

This is a very nice pedal and the bass boost switch on the OD side of the pedal is incredible.

• Members

its really a matter of opinion.

some people like the crispness of tube screamer's (Maxon OD808, Ibanez TS808, TS9, etc)

some people like the more gritty tone from distortion pedals (ProCo Rat, Boss MT2)

some people like to run fuzz pedals out front (Zvex, Fuzzface, etc)

try a bunch out.

• Members

Normally, I'd say it's a no-brainer and that you should probably go pick up a Barber Direct Drive as soon as possible.

On the other hand, this might not be the best pedal for thrash, hardcore, and punk. The DD is a pretty smooth, rich sort of overdrive that is perfect for classic rock and blues. For a more abrasive, aggressive overdrive I'd probably say the Jeckyll/Hyde is a great place to start. I have one, and it's a very versatile pedal. The Jekyll side is a tubescreamer clone with a bass-boost...the Hyde is a much more aggresive distortion. You can blend the two together to get all sorts of fun sounds.

• Members

I think a good clean boost or uncolored OD (OCD-style) would work best. The amp can already be dialed in for gain, so all you need to do is increase the signal strength to increase saturation.

The mig 60 is very middy, so a mid-boosted OD/fuzz like a TS style pedal, or stock Big muff would probably just make it woofy.

• Members

Getting the right OD pedal is all about matching to your specific sound and style and just as importantly YOUR amp. Pedals interact very differently with certain amps. What sounds killer on one amp may not sound very good with another. The only way to really know is to try them out with your rig.

You may not need a full on distortion or even an overdrive. Something like a clean booster could push your amp over the edge without coloring the sound much. Many overdrive pedals are not very transparent.

• Members

Getting the right OD pedal is all about matching to your specific sound and style and just as importantly YOUR amp. Pedals interact very differently with certain amps. What sounds killer on one amp may not sound very good with another. The only way to really know is to try them out with your rig.

+1. I just got a Fulltone OCD that is a perfect match for my Fender amp, but doesn't do it for my Ampeg.

For the OP, have you tried a RAT?

• Members

You may not need a full on distortion or even an overdrive. Something like a clean booster could push your amp over the edge without coloring the sound much. Many overdrive pedals are not very transparent.

very true

• Members

Best I've found...

kot.jpg

Worth my year and a half on a waiting list.

Holy crap! That's a long time to wait for a pedal...hell, that's a long time to wait for anything. The two months I spent waiting for my Reverend Avenger was torture...a year and a half wait would have killed me. You are much more patient than I'll ever be!

• Members

^ Well, the website info makes it pretty clear that once you get on the list for a KOT, it's a loooooonnnng wait. And, I didn't have to pay for it until my name came up on the list. Plus, you can always back out. I actually forgot all about it until I got a message from Mike telling my I could finally pay for mine and they'd send it.

• Members

^ Yes, but could you whittle a great OD pedal with a pocket knife in that time frame? ;)

Another great dirt pedal that can be had used on ebay between $70-$100 is the BK Butler Real Tube. It's a tad noisy, but can go from creamy to thick and is a favorite of Billy Gibbons.

Archived