Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Overdrive/Distortion pedal for tube amp

I just picked up a Sovtek Mig 60, which has a nice amt of gain, but am looking to push it over the top. The Big Muff sounds cool, but not the sound I'm after for rythm. I've found I pretty much need to run the GNX-4 through a totally clean amp or it sounds like ass.
    I'm playing old school punk, hardcore, and thrash.
    1984 Gibson Explorer with Kahler, 2006 Gibson Faded SG , 1994 Hamer Special, 1982 Squier Japan Strat, 1958 Harmony Monterey , 2000 Fender Telecoustic Paisley, Univox Ripper, Fullerton Movibe HH , Fernandes Darth Vader Nomad, 2 Squier mod 51's, Traben Limited edition Bass, Dean Baby ML, Westone superstrat, Fender TC-90, Schecter 006
    Sovtek Mig 50 w Marshall 1966b cab, Sovtek Mig 60 and Sunn Lead Cab, Gregory Apollo 800,Earth Sound bass head and Carvin cabs

Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde. It definitely pushes my Nomad into all sorts of new territory, which is saying a lot because the Nomad is a very versatile 3 channel amp.
    Good deals: Alley trash, leopardstar and half the forum; ajympt, teleman, kha02a, hvymtl939, facefirst, eor, mike-o, jdpkeeper, cavpilot, Carbohydrates, ENdtime, Crxshdxmmy, cadillacman, SOLARPIMP, Florbastang, Powerglide350, 11justin22, MakuseruSukotto, musiclikscreams, spennrocks, shamca, somethingclever, slashfacepalm, Porkchop Xpress, tdepaul1313, Used666, 7PlaGues, JuiceboxMadness, rlm297, jimtalkbox, kyleanadora, nmcbain
    BAD deals: yeahIMdumb

Comment

Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde. It definitely pushes my Nomad into all sorts of new territory, which is saying a lot because the Nomad is a very versatile 3 channel amp.

This is a very nice pedal and the bass boost switch on the OD side of the pedal is incredible.
      Originally Posted by Used2BMarkoh

That's not my picture, you know - that's my avatar. I'm actually a transexual white lesbian from Kansas, but I like to dress up as an the only person more unusual than me - a conservative black man.

Comment

go to youtube and look for proguitarshop demos, they have a lot of dirt pedals.... I'm sure you'll find something you like
        acoustic rig: Larrivee D-50, Stonebridge 32SM OM, Takamine EAC48 Santa Fe, Takamine John Jorgenson, Takamine EC132S Roland AC60

electric rig:
        guitars: ESP CS strat, AJC LP, Ibanez RG1570, Godin Redline1,
        amps: Dr Z Z-28 head, Mesa F-30 head, Dr Z 2x10 convertible, Mesa Recto 2x12
        effects: EBVPJr, Korg Pitchblack, EHX English Muff'n, Diamond Fireburst, Diamond Compressor, Barber Burn Unit EQ, Maxon Phasetone, DLS Chorus Vib, EHX SMMH, Hardwire DL8, EHX Holier Grail

Comment

its really a matter of opinion.

some people like the crispness of tube screamer's (Maxon OD808, Ibanez TS808, TS9, etc)

some people like the more gritty tone from distortion pedals (ProCo Rat, Boss MT2)

some people like to run fuzz pedals out front (Zvex, Fuzzface, etc)

try a bunch out.
          HOURS

Originally Posted by thegumbootman

I managed to not say the word "****************" until I was 18

In primary school when my friends discovered swearing, I thought "I've never said the f-word before. I'm never going to say it". I wanted to say it when I got older (mostly because my friends would nag me about saying it), but I just didn't want to end the streak of not-saying it

I ended up accidentally saying it to my girlfriend at the time. I said "Someone told me that Ben got with a really fat girl and he titty-****************ed her"

Comment

tube screamer is the standard for the tube tone

Comment

Normally, I'd say it's a no-brainer and that you should probably go pick up a Barber Direct Drive as soon as possible.

On the other hand, this might not be the best pedal for thrash, hardcore, and punk. The DD is a pretty smooth, rich sort of overdrive that is perfect for classic rock and blues. For a more abrasive, aggressive overdrive I'd probably say the Jeckyll/Hyde is a great place to start. I have one, and it's a very versatile pedal. The Jekyll side is a tubescreamer clone with a bass-boost...the Hyde is a much more aggresive distortion. You can blend the two together to get all sorts of fun sounds.
              My gear: Reverend Avenger TL
              Reverend Slingshot
              Taylor 514CE
              Gibson Les Paul Standard
              Fender MIM Stratocaster
              Fender Champion 600
              Fender Blues JR
              Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue

Some of my playing:
              http://www.thebloolights.com

Comment

I perfer the fulltone ocd but like duncan said its really a matter of opinion.
                good deals with : Mer2112, easyliver,crimson on pink,Altgtr33,Dewysoss,JBTubehead,thewizardsofhop, Yavin,bigpine,

guitars:
                gibson les paul faded dc
                fender jaguar MIJ
                epiphone les paul custom
                1980 martin d-28

amps:
                72' ORANGE OR 120

cabs:
                orange 4-12

Comment

BOSS BD-2 Blues Driver pushes an already dirty amp nicely
                  My Original Music:
                  Goetic Circle
                  Ashes of the Magician
                  UNDEAD PRIEST
                  In the Name of Majestic Hellfire

Comment

BOSS BD-2 Blues Driver pushes an already dirty amp nicely

That's probably what I'll be getting when I have enough for my (affordable) dream amp.
                    Proud Member of the Epiphone Empire!

Originally Posted by aenemated

if i wanted a daisy rock with goddamn care bears and rainbow brite on it, i'd ****************ing well have it and rock it out like a mother****************er.

Originally Posted by adlo76

maybe the customer service agent didn't speak douchebagenese

YOUR ≠ YOU'RE

Comment

That's probably what I'll be getting when I have enough for my (affordable) dream amp.

My Original Music:
                      Goetic Circle
                      Ashes of the Magician
                      UNDEAD PRIEST
                      In the Name of Majestic Hellfire

Comment

get a bad monkey to push it a little harder. they are cheap and better than a tube screamer imo
                        Guitars: gibson faded flying v
                        jackson kelly performer ps6t with emgs
                        epiphone g-400 1966 reissue w/duncan jb
                        epiphone les paul custom w/ emgs
                        gibson melody maker 59 reissue single pickup
                        squier bullet stratocaster

Pedals: boss super chorus
                        digitech bad monkey overdrive
                        dunlop crybaby

amp: peavey valveking half stack

Comment

I think a good clean boost or uncolored OD (OCD-style) would work best. The amp can already be dialed in for gain, so all you need to do is increase the signal strength to increase saturation.

The mig 60 is very middy, so a mid-boosted OD/fuzz like a TS style pedal, or stock Big muff would probably just make it woofy.

Comment

I like my SD-1 very much.
                            Good dealings with ~dcindc x2~alleytrash~ashasha~jjegg~Yavin

Comment

Getting the right OD pedal is all about matching to your specific sound and style and just as importantly YOUR amp. Pedals interact very differently with certain amps. What sounds killer on one amp may not sound very good with another. The only way to really know is to try them out with your rig.

You may not need a full on distortion or even an overdrive. Something like a clean booster could push your amp over the edge without coloring the sound much. Many overdrive pedals are not very transparent.
                              My Soundclick
                              My YouTube Channels

'01 Heritage H535
                              '05 USA G&L Legacy
                              Taylor Big Baby

Comment

Working...
                              X