Might be a stupid question about delay

jr_vw2

• Members

what is the difference between a digital delay and an analog delay. I am looking into getting a delay pedal. All I want is just a slight delay to add some depth to my tone. I was looking at the MXR Carbon Copy. Should I look elsewhere?

• Members

I think an analog delay is great for just that application. I usually use digital delays for more precisely timed parts a la The Edge, whereas I'll use an analog delay to add just a bit of slap-back for ambiance or to get the really psychedelic feedback delay.

• Members

The main thing is clarity and delay time.

An analog delay is going to have a warmer, more colored (not in a bad way) tone. Think Dick Dale slapback delay. Their delay times are usually shorter, generally topping out around 600ms. The Ibanez AD9 and MXR Carbon Copy are my two reference points by which I compare all other analog delays, boutique or production. The Keeley-modified AD9 is my favorite analog delay pedal.

Digital delays usually have an "analog" setting, but are more known for clarity and delay time. Think longer U2-style delays. My concept of digital delays has been formed by any of the Boss DD series, particularly the DD-6 and DD-20 that I've owned. Tap tempo is usually standard on digital delays, whereas it's a little bit harder to find on a truly analog pedal.

I think that you could do a lot worse than a Carbon Copy for a first analog delay. Reviews will tell you that they're prone to breaking. I say, spend $50 more and get the Keeley AD9. A less cluttered circuit, more color, more analog-sounding (to my ears), and an "infinite repeat" feature when you hold down the stock footswitch.

If you're looking for a digital pedal that nails both and your budget is high, the Eventide Timefactor is the one of the coolest, best-sounding on all settings, and most feature-laden delay pedals I've ever experienced.

My opinions are probably very looked-down upon by pedal enthusiasts, but if you go to the effects forum, they're going to tell you that you can't get a good delay for under $600.

• Members
That sounds AWESOME! {censored}, now I have to have one.
:facepalm:

do it! This delay kicks ass. The only bad thing about it is the mod mode switches are hard to read.

But the goods are its warm and not dark. I mainly do slap but also longer delay with fuzz that it goes great with. It can do vibrato, chorus, and leslie repeats too. Its very small and looks slick.

Malekko makes bouitique delays also that cost big bucks so they know what they're doing i.e. no reliability issues.

• Members

I have two delay pedals which I would highly recommend. One is the BBE Two Timer which can be switched btn two presets with a step on a pedal. This pedal is analog and often compared favorably to the original Boss DM2. This pedal is average size, fits on a pedal board with a universal type plugin. It has replaced my EH Holy Grail Reverb pedal and has a lot more versatility. Can be had for less than $100 if you look hard enough (google).

My other delay pedal is a lot more sophisticated and has eight presets normally and up to thirty with a midi. It is the Damage Control Timeline and sells for $400. It requires it's own power source and will not run off batteries but it's about as good as it gets IMO in the sound, versatility dept.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu6MB1KUq74

I must say that the Malekko does sound very impressive in the video and is very compact.

Archived