Know anything about Heartfields?

Reager

• Members

I've always sorta wondered about this guitar. It once was a friend of mines and then ended up mine for a while through trade. And later back to him and then sold. But anyway, it was a really cool piece. I know about the Fender Heartfield Talon which is what this guitar looks like. We figured out it was an 86 from the serial. But its a Squire...which is odd. I've researched the guitar and I'm pretty sure I've never even seen a picture of another Squire model. Always thought it might have been worth something. If not, its still cool cause it was a Floyd rose fender. And yeah he loaded gay EMGs in it. But it was sorta cool cause they added a third knob to control the voltage...which I thought was stupid but actually helped shape the tone. So I stand corrected.

Any ideas what it was actually worth?

• Members

I have a 1991 Heartfield RR 59. Looks like this:

HeartfieldRR59_Full_Door_trimmed.jpg

It's an incredible guitar. The body is made from Honduran mahogany and the neck is Brazilian rosewood. The bridge/tremolo is Fender American-made. The pickups are not EMGs, but rather they are specially designed by Fender for this guitar. There is also a special tone control (I've forgotten what they called it) which is notched to be "flat" in the center and then has a top boost after that.

The guitar was designed by Fender USA and built in Japan at Fuji-Gen. The body shape and the overall ergonomics of the instrument are extremely comfortable.

The guitar is a real sleeper! I'm under the impression that this particular model was only manufactured for 2 years, 1991 and '92.

• Members

The guitar you have is the RR.

I have one of the prototypes of this guitar (mine is sn 12 - branded Fender and has a larger body).

They were made to compete with Ibanez and IIRC they were made in the same place that were making Ibanez guitars in Japan.

The one I have plays and sounds nice, has some American parts on it and plays great. I never play it but that is mainly because I have a lot of other stuff.

I saw a production one in a shop (Mr Music) about 3 weeks ago and it was under $400. I maintain someday these are going to take off in value.

• Members

you're an idiot

No, EMGs fail. They are not a player sensitive pickup. Sure if you want to play full out all the time it works. But I would much prefer a hotter sounding passive because they allow for better control. A good passive will own an active on tone every time. Plus actives tend to have a more brittle tone.

As for the guitar, I figured it wasn't worth much. I was just curious because I always thought it was a cool guitar. Not something you see very often, thanks guys.

• Members

No, EMGs fail. They are not a player sensitive pickup. Sure if you want to play full out all the time it works. But I would much prefer a hotter sounding passive because they allow for better control. A good passive will own an active on tone every time. Plus actives tend to have a more brittle tone.

As for the guitar, I figured it wasn't worth much. I was just curious because I always thought it was a cool guitar. Not something you see very often, thanks guys.

What a load of bollocks!

:thu:

• Members

Heartfield basses were awesome--they were the "Poor Man's Wal." (The cheapest used Wal I've ever seen was still over $1000 while I came within a hair's breadth of scoring a Heartfield DR4 for under $300.) If you can't eat through the thickest wall of guitars with that electronics package, you fail at life.

• Members

I thought that the Fender Heartfields that look like RGs were built on the same line as RGs (is that fugi-gen?).

I recall selling them in pretty small numbers back in 86-88 but we also carried BC Rich, ESP, Hamer, Washburn and a bunch of other shredder brands. The Heartfields did not ever get the name recognition they deserved IMO.

As far as EMGs being gay? I have not ever played a guitar that had them that I felt like buying. Some say they blow (which would make them gay if they are actually male).

The use of the word gay does not automatically bring sexuality into an argument or discussion. The total PC policing is ridiculous. Perhaps the use of the non-word "ghey" would clear that up for all those who seem offended by the use of the word gay.

Gay meant "Happy" before the gays got a hold of it. I want a guitar with happy pickups when I'm playing happy music.

• Members

I thought that the Fender Heartfields that look like RGs were built on the same line as RGs (is that fugi-gen?).

I recall selling them in pretty small numbers back in 86-88 but we also carried BC Rich, ESP, Hamer, Washburn and a bunch of other shredder brands. The Heartfields did not ever get the name recognition they deserved IMO.

As far as EMGs being gay? I have not ever played a guitar that had them that I felt like buying. Some say they blow (which would make them gay if they are actually male).

The use of the word gay does not automatically bring sexuality into an argument or discussion. The total PC policing is ridiculous. Perhaps the use of the non-word "ghey" would clear that up for all those who seem offended by the use of the word gay.

Gay meant "Happy" before the gays got a hold of it. I want a guitar with happy pickups when I'm playing happy music.

No one's saying to be politically correct... it's just a very unarticulated way to form an opinion...

"Those EMG's are {censored}in gay man!"

vs.

"I don't like EMG's. They're not player-sensitive at all, brittle, and an even hotter passive would still give you better control." (his words, not mine.)

Which would you rather hear?

• Members

No one's saying to be politically correct... it's just a very unarticulated way to form an opinion...

"
Those EMG's are fuckin gay man
!"

vs.

"I don't like EMG's. They're not player-sensitive at all, brittle, and an even hotter passive would still give you better control." (his words, not mine.)

Which would you rather hear?

Hey, you asked.. :facepalm:

IIRC, Heartfields came about around the same time the HM Strats were dying off.. Metal guys didn't want a Fender and that "ghey" Strat headstock, and Fender guys didn't want a metal guitar all all the "ghey" trappings involved in making one.. So they split the concept off into its own brand. That's what I remember anyway, so it might be total bull.

• Members

I remember Fender getting their clock cleaned by Ibanez.

By that time, Kramers were on their way out, Jacksons were expensive and the kids I knew were buying Charvel/Charvette, BC Rich (Platinum/NJ) and Ibanez (mostly).

I bought a Telecaster and everyone thought I was crazy.

The Heartfields came out a little after the HM guitars. They were not made in 1986, despite what anyone tells you.

In 1986 Fender made these other guitars in Japan with black headstocks and locking trems - but they were not the 'HM' guitars with the STRAT grafiti logos that came out later.

The HM came out in 1988. Other models like the Prodigy came out in maybe 1991 or 92.

The Heartfields were made from about 89 - 92 or 93.

Some models - like the Talon and the RR were marketed as Fenders and later switched over the the Heartfield line.

They were ok guitars. If you like Ibanez you would like them. The cases were really cool.

• Members

I remember Fender getting their clock cleaned by Ibanez.

By that time, Kramers were on their way out, Jacksons were expensive and the kids I knew were buying Charvel/Charvette, BC Rich (Platinum/NJ) and Ibanez (mostly).

I bought a Telecaster and everyone thought I was crazy.

The Heartfields came out a little after the HM guitars. They were not made in 1986, despite what anyone tells you.

In 1986 Fender made these other guitars in Japan with black headstocks and locking trems - but they were not the 'HM' guitars with the STRAT grafiti logos that came out later.

The HM came out in 1988. Other models like the Prodigy came out in maybe 1991 or 92.

The Heartfields were made from about 89 - 92 or 93.

Some models - like the Talon and the RR were marketed as Fenders and later switched over the the Heartfield line.

They were ok guitars. If you like Ibanez you would like them. The cases were really cool.

That makes sense. I do remember the HM line and the Greg Howe endorsement. It didn't make sense to have 2 lines competing with one another all under the Fender banner. I like the HMs I've played better than the Talons I've played fwiw.

Archived