Fender American Standard Stratocaster or Gibson SG Standard?

tennispro91

• Members

Totally different necks, pickups, tones, styles about the only thing similar would be the weight I think. You'll just get a whole bunch of opinions with a question like this. If you personally want to choose between these two you need to go to a store and plug each one into an amp and try them.

Cue the alternative guitar choices right about now too....

• Members

I think the Fender Strat is the best looking, and most comfortable, guitar shape out there. Being able play pickups as single coils or humbuckers you also get quite a versatile instrument. After market parts abound, and you have the option of swapping out the bolt on neck too if you ever need to.

I would go with the Strat, but I really don't know what you should do.

• Members

I voted for the Strat...

A strat with hss configuration can give you a lot of usable tones for gigging or practice.... BUT if you are looking for a HUMBUCKER sound... SG could do the trick.... but a LP would be better (imho)

Good Luck!

Omar :thu:

• Members

Depends whether you prefer Strats or SGs, dunnit?

Both decent versions of all-time classics, so it's all down to what your own ears and fingers tell you.

I voted 'Strat' ... but that's because I prefer Strats.

• Members

Not even a contest here these are like asking do you like purple or orange? They are far apart as all things electric guitars are conserned.

I picked stratocaster because I like them the best of ANY guitar and thats what gets me playing but play a few of each and you will quickly figure out between the two which one suits your playing style.

• Members

I voted for the Strat...

A strat with hss configuration can give you a lot of usable tones for gigging or practice.... BUT if you are looking for a HUMBUCKER sound... SG could do the trick.... but a LP would be better (imho)

Good Luck!

Omar
:thu:

You'd have the humbucker sound in your Strat if it's HSS. :poke:

As for a humbucker neck tone, just get a really thick single coil? :thu: Or make it HSH with splits on both humbuckers in positions 2 and 4.

• Members

Such different guitars!

I hate SGs, I don't like the way they fell, much prefer a Strat (or even better: a Les Paul)

My band mate on the other hand LOVES his SG, and would buy 10 SGs before a single Strat, plus he looks like a dork with a Strat in his hand, while the SG makes him an instant rock star.

Surely you have a preference between the two

• Members

I mean besides the fact that the SG standard is a set neck guitar with neck binding and slightly more badass inlay, thus making it the slightly more upscale model of the 2, we are talking tone preference here, which is subjective. I will say this though, even as a guy who voted sg standard and who has sg in his name, i would vote for the strat over an sg special. Unless that special had an ebony fretboard. Strats and Sg's don't even feel the same in your hands let alone sound the same. Best to buy one of each dude.

Archived